BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 03:41:47 AM   #1
wantone

Default SMG Transmission

Hi all,

I was wondering what the SMG transmission is all about? Ive seen in pictures that theres no clutch..(sounding stupider as I go on?) So basically how does it work? And is it worth spending the extra money on?

Another question is, what is the navigation system in the 04 like, and also is that worth adding?

Thanks in advance
Jump to top wantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 03:52:34 AM   #2
flabmaster

United States

SMG has a clutch. As a matter of fact, it is the identical transmission found in the conventional 6spd manual m3. Instead of the driver depressing the clutch petal and selecting the gears, he/she can either tap a paddle on the steering wheel (like a formula 1 racecar) or push the floor shifter foreward for downshifts or pull it backwards for upshifts. The car will then electrohydraulically engage the clutch and change the gears. It does so faster and more accurately than a human is able to-shifts are possible in .08 of a second. It also automatically rev matches downshifts etc...There is so much more info about this on BMW's site and on here. Just do a little searching. I find it worth the extra money because it is an excellent transmission for the racetrack which I love to do with the car. It is also excellent on the road-especially in heavy traffic where your left foot would normally get tired from the heavy clutch use. Should you get it? No one here can answer that for you. Test drive both extensively. Are you going to be tracking the car? Do you normally drive on roads with heavy traffic? Can everyone in your household drive a manual? Ask youself these questions before deciding. The SMG has a ton of idiosynchrasies that you will need to become acclimated to and it takes about a month to fully get the hang of, but once you do it is an excellent piece of equipment.
I don't know about the nav system because I don't have one. Is it worth it you ask? My answer to that is I wish I had one.
-Dave
Jump to top flabmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 03:53:55 AM   #3
flabmaster

United States

Mods...I think we need a seperate section for SMG info (like the E46, E36, General, Off-topic etc...) so that we won't get so many repeat SMG questions and all the info is laid out nicely.
-Dave
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 04:23:40 AM   #4
wantone

Thanks for the information Dave. Actually the car will be only for my driving pleasure..No I dont drive on tracks or anything, but I do drive in extreme traffic conditions. Im not much of a stick driver, but I like the way the SMG looks. I have seen the automatic or the stick tranny from a few years ago, cant remember which one it was, and it just looked normal, I like style.

Anyways, thanks alot for the response, take care. Have fun with that beatiful machine!!
Jump to top wantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 04:30:05 AM   #5
04tytaniumsylvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone
Thanks for the information Dave. Actually the car will be only for my driving pleasure..No I dont drive on tracks or anything, but I do drive in extreme traffic conditions. Im not much of a stick driver, but I like the way the SMG looks. I have seen the automatic or the stick tranny from a few years ago, cant remember which one it was, and it just looked normal, I like style.

Anyways, thanks alot for the response, take care. Have fun with that beatiful machine!!
Ev...?

^^ This guy knows his $hit

-Bill
Jump to top 04tytaniumsylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 04:32:03 AM   #6
04tytaniumsylvr

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=36546
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 04:41:58 AM   #7
04tytaniumsylvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone
Hi all,

I was wondering what the SMG transmission is all about? Ive seen in pictures that theres no clutch..(sounding stupider as I go on?) So basically how does it work? And is it worth spending the extra money on?

Another question is, what is the navigation system in the 04 like, and also is that worth adding?

Thanks in advance
I'll see if I can host a vid from a roll... I'll show you whatsup.

While the manual is shifting I'm flogging paddles. . . no delay in acceleration.

-Bill
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 05:41:01 AM   #8
flabmaster

United States

Quote:
Thanks for the information Dave
You're welcome, anytime you have a question you can either post it or send me a private message and I'll be happy to help.
Quote:
Actually the car will be only for my driving pleasure..No I dont drive on tracks or anything, but I do drive in extreme traffic conditions. Im not much of a stick driver, but I like the way the SMG looks.
In that case, SMG is probably the choice for you. It has a mode in it called "automated" mode where the car will shift like an automatic transmission would with the comp controlling all shifts, albeit, an extremely jerky auto. I rarely use this mode because sequential is extremely easy and far smoother which sounds like it's right up your alley
Quote:
I have seen the automatic or the stick tranny from a few years ago
Just to clarify, the E46 M3 (M3's from model year 2001 until the present) haven't ever come with an automatic transmission. As a matter of fact, the E46 wasn't even available with the SMG until 2002. The older M3's from the mid to late 1990's did however have an auto.
Quote:
Have fun with that beatiful machine!!
Thanks, I'll be sure to! Good luck with your decision, keep us posted as to what you get and be sure to take lots of pictures. Have fun and be safe. I'm off to bed soon. Good night.
-Dave
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 05:49:03 AM   #9
04tytaniumsylvr

If this is Ev... he has a Cabrio 6MT... if not, SMG is the way to go in city driving. I always use the shift levers on the steering wheel. It's very convenient excluding pushing in the clutch pedal in daily traffic...

For the first few thousand miles I had to get custom to no clutch pedal...

From a performance standpoint taking the launch / 1/4 mile out of the factor the SMG owns hands down unless you upgrade to an aftermarket clutch and short shift... that's truthfully what I know.

The Manual cars that I've ran, I clearly heard the stall, and me flooring it hitting the upshift lever - pure acceleration. I'm not trying to make SMG sound better than it really is, but it is an advantage over the 6MT, just my opinion.

-Bill
Old Tue, Jul-13-2004, 05:54:15 AM   #10
04tytaniumsylvr

As far as launching I can shoot the rpms up to 5k without stalling . . . getting through 0-60 very quick. I use the paddles always.

DSC off, S6 engaged the tranny allows you to revv to 1800-2000 rpms... you floor it, rpms shoot to 5k, you can control the wheelspin just like done in a manual and your off, you just have to match the revvs right gear to gear or you'll hit revv limiter in the quickness...

Just letting you know, you can launch SMG... hard also. In my case I beat the living sh!t out of my manual transmissions... so in this sense again SMG works better for me, I still redline but I'm not as hard on the tranny.

-Bill