BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 03:38:36 AM   #1
Bad Om3n

In the garage:

Canada

Default Bad Om3n Build Thread

For years i've looked to build threads to expand my knowledge, and keep me motivated. I purchased an ///M3 that ended up being the project I never wanted - and I'd like to return the favour to the community by documenting my
"Build Thread" and hopefully leaving something useful behind for someone else.

In the spring of 2017 I bought an Oxford Green over Cinnamon 6sp Coupe. After settling on the car that I wanted, It took me about 1.5 - 2 years to find a good example and I finally pulled the trigger. I'm a Canadian and
in our market good, clean M3's are hard to come by - an OG coupe damn near impossible. So, I imported one from the States. I found it online in Virginia and after some negotiation struck a deal with the seller. My plan was to fly down
to check out the car and drive it back (or fly back if I backed out). Crossing the border, the Border Patrol pulled me into secondary - I guess it was suspicious that I had a large certified cheque from me, to myself. By the time they let me
go, I had missed the flight. The seller was very cooperative and send me pictures and videos of the things I asked. So, I decided to buy it sight unseen and shipped to the border. I had to have the airbag recall done
before I could import it, and while it was there I paid to have an inspection done on the car by BMW. Well, they came back recommending I don't fix the car. That it would be at least $25k USD to Start! I learned that the car was a manual swap,
originally SMG, among a whole host of other "modifications". At this point I was looking to lawyer up - as I was very clear and explicit with my questioning to the seller, who assured me the worst part of the car was a small chip on the tail light.
Long story short, Its not so easy as a Canadian so I imported the car and was beginning to think of how to cut my losses here. I have another project car, a Camaro, and this was supposed to be the car/toy I enjoyed while I worked on the Camaro. I didn't want to have
two projects. But, here I am with two projects and I've resolved to bring this M3 back up to par. As far as I can tell, there is only one other Oxford Green M3 in Canada!

The previous owner (or perhaps the one before him?) allegedly wanted to turn this into a show car. As a result, the entire interior above the window line was removed and covered in "suede". The original head unit
was put back in, but it dead anyways. They ran new wires for aftermarket sound system (had big subs in the back). The entire trunk trim was "custom" - meaning formed MDF covered in "suede" - it was all scrapped.
The heater box was cut up because it wasn't a head unit made for the E46.

The car also came with an aftermarket security system. The key remote doesn't open the doors, the extra fob does. I'm sure I'll have fun un-doing this one. It also came with a remote start feature... on a manual car,
with no clutch switch. You can start this car while its in gear and it will drive until it hits something - then it will continue to try driving...

I've been reading alot about coding, and the SMG -> 6MT swap procedure on the forums. Without it theres no way I would be able to tackle this thing. So big shout out to all those who have helped out so many with their knowledge.
Members across multiple forums inclUding Terraphantm, P0lar, SliM3, MP675, Obioban, Kaiv, and more whom I can't think of at the moment.

I've had the car for about a year and a half now and haven't done much to it really. A big reason for this, is I have too many cars and not enough space. I'm hoping to sell one of them in the coming months which should really hasten the pace of this
project - which I've dubbed Bad Om3n as its been one stroke of bad luck after another. In the mean time however, I've been tinkering around with it casually and decided to start my thread.

At this point, I've already replaced a water pump (blew on me on my way home from getting it registered for the road, talk about close!). I've stripped the trunk, I've stripped the interior, I've messed around with INPA/NCSExpert/BMWFlash etc. I've pulled
the Radio and HVAC, and done some general exploring.

Here are some pics of her I've taken over the last year.

Last edited by Bad Om3n; Fri, Oct-26-2018 at 04:42:18 AM.
Jump to top Bad Om3n is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 03:56:04 AM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Bad Om3n Build Thread

Like 3 or 4 build journals in the main section in the recent past. Strange new phenomenon.

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 04:00:12 AM   #3
Bad Om3n

In the garage:

Canada

I can't do much work on the car at the moment due to the lack of space. So, I've been planning a little. I've been considering the audio - I know I want to go to an E46-specific (OEM Look) android-capable head unit. probably an Avin, Dynavin, Eonon or something. I was also considering the Bav Sound upgrade for the OEM finish of it all - however, the previous owner tore all the oem stuff out and I don't have the "Subs" or the amp anymore. I don't think the doors or anything have the oem plugs either.

At this point, would you say its worth building up something custom and go with whichever speakers I want - or does the BSW kit still offer some advantages? At the moment, I have all the interior trim out so wiring isn't a problem since I'm half way there.

Heres a shot of the trunk:

You can see there aren't any subs or amps under the shelf either:

Heres the door:

I like clean, crisp sound with punchy bass - and I'd also like to be able to listen to music without much distortion on the highway with the windows down.

BavSound or other aftermarket?

Also, anyone got a good solution for subs? I saw someone (JL?) made a "stealthbox". I'd like to add a sub - but would love to avoid having a box just sitting in the trunk.. I'm thinking I'll find a way to mount them under the shelf one way or another.

Last edited by Bad Om3n; Fri, Oct-26-2018 at 04:44:19 AM.
Jump to top Bad Om3n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 04:01:56 AM   #4
Texaz3

United States

This should be in the Journal section, please move.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 04:45:36 AM   #5
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

Pics aren't showing up. Not sure if it's the forum because it seems to be happening on a bunch of threads.
Jump to top M3AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 01:30:11 PM   #6
Bad Om3n

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AZ View Post
Pics aren't showing up. Not sure if it's the forum because it seems to be happening on a bunch of threads.
Strange, I can't see them now either. I'm not so great using the forums to be honest - still learning but I didn't want to start the thread without being able to post pics that people can see without clicking any links.

I hosted the images on imgur and last night they seemed to be working fine. If it doesn't resolve itself soon I'll look for another way to host. Any suggestions?
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 01:33:49 PM   #7
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Om3n View Post
Strange, I can't see them now either. I'm not so great using the forums to be honest - still learning but I didn't want to start the thread without being able to post pics that people can see without clicking any links.

I hosted the images on imgur and last night they seemed to be working fine. If it doesn't resolve itself soon I'll look for another way to host. Any suggestions?
Flickr

A mod might move this to the journal section, but you could just create a new thread there and they can delete this one.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 07:11:52 PM   #8
spnsprt

In the garage:

United States

Nice IROC
Jump to top spnsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 07:38:18 PM   #9
Bad Om3n

In the garage:

Canada