BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, May-23-2018, 06:46:25 PM   #1
e34nication

United States

Default 2002 M3 - Weekend/HPDE Build

Putting together a journal on my 2002 M3, mainly so I can keep up with what I've done to it! After selling my 944 Turbo and my E55 wagon I spent a few months looking around for a nice condition, low mileage e46 m3 to be used on the weekends and to take my kids to cars and coffee once a month. I wasn't hung up too much on what year/options/color, mainly wanted the most extensively maintained and nicest car I could track down that didn't have EAG pricing. This particular car was in Michigan, had some modifications/maintenance done to it that made it very appealing and after chatting with the previous owner and getting comfortable with the car I sent him a check and arranged for a transport company to pick it up.

Specs on the car when I bought it:

61k Miles
Repoman CSL Airbox
CSL ECU with TTFS tune
Euro Headers
Supersprint Race
Sub frame reinforced by RRT
Rod bearing recall @ 20k miles
Dr Vanos upgrade
OEM ZCP Wheels
CSL Diffuser

First order of business was getting rid of the stock suspension, which was tired. At that point, the plan for this car was strictly weekend street use so I decided on Bilstein PSS10's. While I was waiting for those to arrive, I stumbled across a Stoptech BBK in the classifieds here and picked those up as well. I also picked up the BMW Motorsport SSK which helped clean up a little bit of sloppy shifter syndrome.

From there I tracked down an OEM CSL Boot and a SG CSL front bumper in the classifieds. Got them both painted and installed, ultimately not liking the look of the front bumper. Love the look of the rear, though. A pair of SG CF lips came with the bumper/boot, so I had one of those installed on the OEM bumper.

And then my plans for the car changed... I had been content running a shifter kart for my "track fix", but got the bug to get back on track in a car... so I started shopping for a "cheap" e36 m3 since I didn't really want to track my nice, clean, low mileage e46 m3... After looking for a month or so and not liking what I was seeing (and missing out on one local e36 m3 that would have been a good candidate), I decided to bite the bullet and further prep the e46 for some track duty. I tend to go a little over the top, so got some more parts ordered.

GC Street Camber Plates
Mishimoto Radiator/Oil Cooler/E-Fan
BW treated rod bearings and arp hardware
BW TE:AL 18x9.5 et35 w/ 275 Toyo R888R
Hard Motorsport Brake Duct Kit
PFC08 pads F/R
Hotchkis Swaybars
BW Rear Camber Arms

First day on track (March at Sebring) had an issue with the rear of the car that ended up being a broken camber arm bolt (didn't stop me from running the entire day). The bigger issue I had was temperature, water temps climbing to the third hash and oil temps pushing about the same. After talking with a pair of locals that have extensively tracked e46 m3's I decided to ditch the Mishimoto radiator in favor of a triple pass CSF unit and vent the hood with a Trackspec kit.

The next trip to the track (May back at Sebring) the car worked flawlessly and I was able to fine tune a bit with tire pressures and settings on the PSS10's. It was a great day, but a little damp. All and all, the car was a blast on track and plenty quick for me/my skill level.

Next step will be pulling the PSS10's and installing a recently purchased set of MCS 2WNR with Vorshlag camber plates and Hyperco Springs (800F/900R). I'm also going to play around with the exhaust set-up a bit, not a huge fan of the current note so I purchased a CPI section 1 and SS section 2 to try out.

CURRENT SETUP:

Engine: Stock
Airbox: CSL (Repoman)
ECU: TTFS Tuned CSL
Exhaust: Euro headers, CPI Resonated RTX Section 1 w/ crossover, SS non resonated Section 2, SS Race Section 3
Cooling: CSF Triple Pass Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Mishimoto E-Fan, Trackspec Hood Vent Kit
Differential/SSK: 4.10, BMW SSK
Brakes: Stoptech ST40 Front w/ PFC08, Stock rear w/ PFC08 ; Hard Motorsport Brake Cooling Kit
Swaybars: Hotchkis
Coilovers: MCS 2WNR, Hyperco F800#(6")/R900#(5")
Camber Plates: Vorshlag
Misc Suspension: BW Camber Arms
Exterior: OEM CSL Bootlid, CSL Diffuser, SG Lip
Wheels: Street - OEM ZCP, MP4S Track - BMW TE:AL 18x9.5, 275 R888R ; BW Race 82MM Stud Kit
Preventative Maintenance: BW Treated Rod Bearing Upgrade Kit @ 63k Miles, Dr. Vanos lockdown, RRT reinforced rear subframe

2002 M3 6-Speed - Weekend/Track
2004 LX470 - Daily/Kart Hauler
2009 GL550 - Wife/Family Hauler
2016 TBKart CR125 - Neck Muscles

Past: 95 540/6, 88 951, 97 Land Cruiser, 05 E55 Wagon

IG: the_dadwagon

Last edited by e34nication; Tue, Jul-24-2018 at 12:12:08 AM.
Jump to top e34nication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 08:28:39 PM   #2
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 2002 M3 - Weekend/HPDE Build

Looks good man! I'm guessing seats/roll bar soon?

Did the hood vents makes much of a difference? Also are you planning on running aero? 800/900 seems like a lot.
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 08:33:01 PM   #3
e34nication

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Looks good man! I'm guessing seats/roll bar soon?

Did the hood vents makes much of a difference? Also are you planning on running aero? 800/900 seems like a lot.
I'm not going to do a roll bar, I keep a car seat back there so I can take my daughter to school in it once a week and take her with me to cars and coffee every now and then. I'm considering doing seats, something along the line of the Recaro Sportsters... we'll see. I've got a Schroth Quickfit Pro for the driver's side that I haven't thrown in yet.

I'm not going to do full aero, but may play with the underside of the car a bit. If the spring rates end up being too high, it's pretty easy to back them down. I'm hoping to sneak in 4-5 more track days this year and hopefully have the car pretty dialed in by 2019.

Regarding the hood vents, it wasn't a controlled experiment since I also changed to the CSF and added water wetter. That said, I didn't even sniff an issue with water temp on the last trip to Sebring... and the car felt very stable at speed.

Old Wed, May-23-2018, 08:37:32 PM   #4
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34nication View Post
I'm not going to do a roll bar, I keep a car seat back there so I can take my daughter to school in it once a week and take her with me to cars and coffee every now and then. I'm considering doing seats, something along the line of the Recaro Sportsters... we'll see. I've got a Schroth Quickfit Pro for the driver's side that I haven't thrown in yet.

I'm not going to do full aero, but may play with the underside of the car a bit. If the spring rates end up being too high, it's pretty easy to back them down. I'm hoping to sneak in 4-5 more track days this year and hopefully have the car pretty dialed in by 2019.
Sounds good, I thought about doing the same, but ended up with buckets. The sportster GT's just came out recently and IMO looks way better than the Sportster CS'.

Also similar boat for aero. Currently have 650/750 and will be looking at minimal aero like underside/front splitter potentially. Keep us posted on how it feels with the high spring rates. I'm guessing you drive this on normal roads and to/from track. I wonder how bearable that'll be because with 650/750, it's fairly stiff when I drive on the street with my compression on full soft. Granted MCS' does a much better job than TCK's.
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 08:38:53 PM   #5
AXDB

In the garage:

United States

I run 800/900 MCS 2WNR as well, albeit on a lightened car though and never have any issues. Is it firm, yes. Can the dampers handle it. Absolutely.

2003 M3 Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Jump to top AXDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 08:51:49 PM   #6
e34nication

United States

Quote:
Sounds good, I thought about doing the same, but ended up with buckets. The sportster GT's just came out recently and IMO looks way better than the Sportster CS'.

Also similar boat for aero. Currently have 650/750 and will be looking at minimal aero like underside/front splitter potentially. Keep us posted on how it feels with the high spring rates. I'm guessing you drive this on normal roads and to/from track. I wonder how bearable that'll be because with 650/750, it's fairly stiff when I drive on the street with my compression on full soft. Granted MCS' does a much better job than TCK's.
The sportster GT's look good for sure, definitely on my radar. Bouncing through turn 1 at Sebring in the stock seats, I'm all over the place... I do drive it on normal roads and to/from the track. If/when I end up taking it out of state to hit some different tracks I'll definitely trailer. Will update with my impressions once the new setup is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXDB View Post
I run 800/900 MCS 2WNR as well, albeit on a lightened car though and never have any issues. Is it firm, yes. Can the dampers handle it. Absolutely.
Good to hear. I fully expect it to be firm but not harsh... I'm trying to get to a point where it's excellent on track and my wife doesn't mind going out to dinner in it.... it's a very delicate balance!!!

Old Wed, May-23-2018, 08:58:58 PM   #7
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34nication View Post
The sportster GT's look good for sure, definitely on my radar. Bouncing through turn 1 at Sebring in the stock seats, I'm all over the place... I do drive it on normal roads and to/from the track. If/when I end up taking it out of state to hit some different tracks I'll definitely trailer. Will update with my impressions once the new setup is on.

Good to hear. I fully expect it to be firm but not harsh... I'm trying to get to a point where it's excellent on track and my wife doesn't mind going out to dinner in it.... it's a very delicate balance!!!
That's a very thin line to walk my friend. My girlfriend hates going anywhere in my car now We're about to do a roadtrip to Laguna Seca then southern California after a track day
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 09:05:59 PM   #8
e34nication

United States

Quote:
That's a very thin line to walk my friend. My girlfriend hates going anywhere in my car now We're about to do a roadtrip to Laguna Seca then southern California after a track day
Ha! Pray for me and I'll pray for you.

Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 02:01:10 PM   #9
e34nication

United States

MCS 2WNR are on the car. 800/900 hypercos, vorshlag plates and some other small odds and ends. Move_Over came over to Tampa and installed them before I took the family up to NC for a week. I was worried about the high Spring rates for around town, but they feel great and very compliant with the dampers set to soft. Did require a 5mm spacer up front whereas the PSS10ís did not.

Virtually brand new Bilstein PSS10ís and GC camber plates off the car.

Next step is to install the Vibra-Technics motor/transmission mounts that I havenít removed from the box yet and a couple of exhaust components I got from move_over. Trying to make it to Sebring this month, but not sure if I can swing it time-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Mon, Jul-23-2018, 08:14:48 PM   #10
e34nication

United States

Car dropped off today for corner balance with the new suspension, oil change, motor/tranny mount install (VT), exhaust swap, wheel studs and fixing the driver's side brake duct that I broke two track days ago. Next trip to the track, 8/11 @ Sebring.

So far I have to say I'm very impressed with the MCS 2WNR... of course I've only put about 20 miles on them, so it's a limited sample size. Even with what I was worried were somewhat high spring rates (800/900), the ride is excellent around town. Very excited to see how this setup handles a very bumpy Sebring.