BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-26-2018, 09:08:14 PM   #261
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

Any chance we can see some pictures of the pump relocated and mounted on the bracket?

I wonder how much heat the pump generates and if there is enough space to mount a small 8-10" fan.

2006 M3 SILBERGRAU COMPETITION

EXTERIORJCSL 1X1 DIFFUSER | VÖRSTEINER CSL BUMPER
PREVENTATIVE ▌ VANOS BEISAN LOCKDOWN: UPPER GUIDE CHAIN | SOLENOID COIL PACK | OIL PUMP DISK
EXHAUSTSUPERSPRINT EXHAUST ~ OVERSIZED STEPPED V1 HEADERS | RACE CATTED SEC 1 | RESONATED X-PIPE SEC 2 | SPORT (GEN 2) SEC 3
BRAKES ▌ STOCK CSL/ZCP ROTORS | PORSCHE 996 BREMBO CALIPERS | SS LINES
WHEELS ▌ STOCK ZCP BBS 19" | 75MM ECS/TMS F&R WHEEL STUD CONVERSION
SUSPENSIONTURNER MOTORSPORT 30MM FRONT SWAY BAR | KW V2 COILOVERS | GROUND CONTROL CAMBER PLATES | SDW RTABS
ENGINE ▌ TUNED BY PAUL-CLAUDE | KARBONIUS CSL AIRBOX (ALPHA N), OEM SNORKEL (FLAP DELETE), OIL CATCH CAN
TRANSMISSION ▌'255' CSL SMG DME TUNE | INERTIA SMG DME UPDATE | WARM-UP LIGHT RECALIBRATION

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/good_m3/?hl=en
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWWdc1VO3N7QDfZ5NSzriA
Jump to top Good is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-26-2018, 11:42:03 PM   #262
henryc

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Any chance we can see some pictures of the pump relocated and mounted on the bracket?

I wonder how much heat the pump generates and if there is enough space to mount a small 8-10" fan.
A fan isn't necessary imo - my friend made a relocation bracket for me before this came out.

After daily driving in traffic you can put your hand on it. It's warm but not hot.
Jump to top henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 04:18:58 AM   #263
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryc View Post
A fan isn't necessary imo - my friend made a relocation bracket for me before this came out.

After daily driving in traffic you can put your hand on it. It's warm but not hot.

My concern is how much heat is generated under load with the pump located in the small compartment of our engine bay. I don’t doubt the pump will be fine for daily driving there, but what about under-load? I would be surprised if there isn’t a significant increase in temperature shifting 15-20 times a minute ‘spiritually driving’ through the canyon in the hot Cali weather.

PREVENTATIVE ▌ VANOS BEISAN LOCKDOWN: UPPER GUIDE CHAIN | SOLENOID COIL PACK | OIL PUMP DISK
EXHAUSTSUPERSPRINT EXHAUST ~ OVERSIZED STEPPED V1 HEADERS | RACE CATTED SEC 1 | RESONATED X-PIPE SEC 2 | SPORT (GEN 2) SEC 3
SUSPENSIONTURNER MOTORSPORT 30MM FRONT SWAY BAR | KW V2 COILOVERS | GROUND CONTROL CAMBER PLATES | SDW RTABS
ENGINE ▌ TUNED BY PAUL-CLAUDE | KARBONIUS CSL AIRBOX (ALPHA N), OEM SNORKEL (FLAP DELETE), OIL CATCH CAN
TRANSMISSION ▌'255' CSL SMG DME TUNE | INERTIA SMG DME UPDATE | WARM-UP LIGHT RECALIBRATION

Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 04:37:29 AM   #264
M spec
Rembrandt Audio

Austria

Quote:
My concern is how much heat is generated under load with the pump located in the small compartment of our engine bay. I don’t doubt the pump will be fine for daily driving there, but what about under-load? I would be surprised if there isn’t a significant increase in temperature shifting 15-20 times a minute ‘spiritually driving’ through the canyon in the hot Cali weather.

It’s got to be significantly cooler in the drug bin vs where it’s at stock.
Jump to top M spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 05:34:03 AM   #265
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
It’s got to be significantly cooler in the drug bin vs where it’s at stock.

Which has been established, but to what extent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 06:48:52 AM   #266
Marco Bleiker

In the garage:

Switzerland

I think there is no space for a fan. Temperature is much cooler in there then at the stock location.
I cant find any pics where you can see my bracket.

Space is rare in the battery bin when dsc is there too.
Jump to top Marco Bleiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 09:14:29 AM   #267
henryc

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I took the M3 up to ACH - doing the spirited driving once with it relocated. It gets a little bit more hot, I did not dare touch it with my bare hand not knowing the temp but felt it over my microfiber towel. I can feel the heat through the microfiber with my butt "hand" dyno. That's at 85F ambient.

I'm sure someone on hear will get a temp laser gun and measure it but that's my experience / one point of reference.
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 09:25:55 AM   #268
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryc View Post
I took the M3 up to ACH - doing the spirited driving once with it relocated. It gets a little bit more hot, I did not dare touch it with my bare hand not knowing the temp but felt it over my microfiber towel. I can feel the heat through the microfiber with my butt "hand" dyno. That's at 85F ambient.

I'm sure someone on hear will get a temp laser gun and measure it but that's my experience / one point of reference.

Maybe a small powerful fan wouldn’t be a bad idea. It seems heat damage generally occurs after 100k+ miles. Without temperature readings, how can we assume this will permanently solve the pumps heat issue.

Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 10:09:37 AM   #269
henryc

In the garage:

United States

IMO - it would help but I don't know if there is space? The pump / motor is going to generate heat and yes the heat will decrease the life of the motor but I feel the SMG motor primarily dies due to wear and tear of usage.

I've noticed the high mileage 160K+ miles SMG E46 M3's I've seen for sale with "SMG shifts perfectly" have original SMG Pumps in their stock location right next to the block, where the temp is way more than the drug bin. I recall seeing a 300K SMG E46 M3 for sale on these forums that had 3 clutch jobs but the SMG motor was never replaced. Most of that use is most likely highway cruising where the SMG motor is not being used and in operating temp.

My M3 has 107K, the PO replaced the SMG Pump and Transmission at 60K with a brand new unit from BMW. He daily drove it in San Francisco for 30K miles until I bought it at 80K. I placed nearly 30K on it as a partial daily and in LA traffic on the 405 in bumper to bumper stuck having to shift it 4x times every 1/4 mile until one day the SMG electric motor started to draw more power and started popping 40 AMP fuses.

I don't think the relocation will be a "permanent fix", it will prolong the overall SMG system life because not only is its away from the engine block heat, but also because I feel the extra quantity of the hydraulic fluid from the extended lines will "absorb" the heat better. However I full expect to replace the Burkhart brushed DC motor someday in the future not necessarily due to heat but because its a moving part and subject to wear and tear.
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 10:28:45 AM   #270
idntknow2005

United States

I think a small intercooler would be more useful than a fan. There's not a lot of room for the air to circulate since the hood seals off the drug bin. If you could cool the fluid, youd essentially be cooling the entire unit internally.

Ejaz posted some of his before and after temps earlier in this thread.