BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:26:28 AM   #1
PashkaVR

United States

Default S54 Swapped Daytona Violett M3.

Click to view photos on mobile: https://imgur.com/a/a90iY

Good day to all of you!
I have decided that it is time for me to make a build thread and I will start with my most recent adventures when I got VACed and their poorly designed parts grenaded my built S52. I took the incident/disaster as an opportunity to do an S54 swap, which was a fantastic decision (despite hating it at first). It took a little less than 3 month of working on it in my spare time, but many very long nights.
To start, here is a photo by a local car enthusiast of my car at Road Atlanta the day it came apart on the front straight.

And one more by another friend:

Last session of Sunday is when I got VACed, 5 VAC titanium retainers failed (about 8 track days since a full build/blueprinted S52). One of the valves broke from hitting the piston and at 110mph and 7k rpm things did not stand a chance. Worst of all, the oil lit up on the exhaust and the car caught on fire and that made an industrial grade disaster. Wiring got burned, painted Mashaw hood got trashed, windshield got trashed as the fire guys threw the hood over it (small price to pay for not burning the car though), pretty much every plastic piece got messed up and everything got really tarnished.

First step of the swap, the engine harness had to be done. It was the most tedious wiring harness ever.

I decided to do a CSL conversion and mounted a GM MAP sensor by where the vacuum amplifier used to sit. One day I’ll be baller and get a carbon plenum. That day is not today though.

3D printed an adapter for the Walbro 255, its made from Nylon.

While making things I decided to redo my projector mounts a bit in the headlights. ****s Given = 0; and yes its also Daytona Violet.

This was my solution to mount the coolant temp sensor for the cluster:

This is a quick and dirty way to adapt the E46 P/S pump to the E36 line:

In the future I’ll use a 318 line as it has the correct fitting.
For the coolant reservoir I decided to go with a VW unit (I am an old time fan, had multiple Corrados and GTIs). I think it looks elegant, has a built in level sensor, mounts nicely, and $20 shipped to my door.

Next was the cleaning, sanding, taping. I think this took over 20 hours to do. Good time to fix my cracked strut towers too. Just BMW things…

And all painted! This was my first ever paint work aside for rattle cans, I kind of enjoy doing it.

I nearly had a heart attack multiple times while installing the engine and not hurting my snazzy paint job. Found a purple silicone reducer, it goes from very large to slightly smaller.

The night I finished it all up:

Daytona Violett + on the jump post:

All tidied up!

Had to get the correct stickers too:

And that is a proper S54 emission decal. I hope I am the first to do so!

I know these pictures look like everything fell into place, but don’t be confused. Things didn’t work right away, things didn’t fit right away, certain ways I designed bits did not go to plan. My car is a constant evolution as it is always being changed and improved. I learn with it and have learned a great deal building it and tracking it.
Bonus, got to work on this car which was pretty cool:

I will keep updating this thread to fill in all the prior work that I have done. If you guys and gals have any questions or would like details on how I did something, do ask and I will do my best to explain.

-Pasha

Last edited by PashkaVR; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 06:04:52 AM.
Jump to top PashkaVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:48:37 AM   #2
westopher

Canada

Default Re: S54 Swapped Daytona Violett M3.

I sure wish these pics worked.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 103k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:52:46 AM   #3
Braymond141

United States

They do if you manually visit each url. Need to get to a computer to see this...

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:56:00 AM   #4
PashkaVR

United States

Click the link at the top of my original thread! Turns out Imgur, which I used for image hosting, has this issue. I will figure something out at a different time though. On a computer everything shows up correctly.

Last edited by PashkaVR; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 06:08:24 AM.
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:01:50 AM   #5
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

Cool build.
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:04:56 AM   #6
westopher

Canada

Wow. Serious parts on that car. Can I assume by your name on imgur that you were also a corrado vr6 owner at some point?

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:14:07 AM   #7
Braymond141

United States

Nice work. Looks pretty clean from my phone.

That VW expansion tank needs to go. VW have SHIT cooling systems, don’t bring that bad luck to your S54.

Might want to relocate that intake into the bumper too!

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:25:39 AM   #8
PashkaVR

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Wow. Serious parts on that car. Can I assume by your name on imgur that you were also a corrado vr6 owner at some point?
Yes! I absolutely love Corrados, but will never go back to one. And this car has been a 5 year build so far, I think I have at least 500 hours into all of it.

And I have never had a VW expansion tank blow up on me, still see cars from the 80s at the scrap yard with original tanks. It has many benefits: coolant hose routing, level height is similar to that of the OE tank, built in level sensor, easy to make mount. I don't discriminate, a good part that fits my build is a good part. My other car is a Volvo 240 with a GM 5.3/ T56 so I am far from a purist .

As far as the intake goes, I will either make a carbon airbox for it or wait until I can afford to buy a full carbon plenum. Not sure yet. I will be making a vent in the next few weeks that goes into the fog light blank to have a CSL inspired look.

Last edited by PashkaVR; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 06:29:28 AM.
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:39:18 AM   #9
westopher

Canada

Ha me and Braymond both had corrado's before as well. I had a moonlight blue pearl 95.

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:43:38 AM   #10
PashkaVR

United States

Nice! That would be a 2.9 car? Mine was a white G60 and second was a black 92 SLC. One day I came to a conclusion that everything I do to it is to run with the Ms and decided to sell it and buy one of my own.

And thank you all! I guess I should get a real camera and create a journal page!