BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 01:53:56 AM   #11
ctdriver86

United States

Default Re: My M3 Totalled, Need Advice

You can fight it if the asking price in your area is more. Insurance usually pays out the lowest possible price. Just show them car listings in your area of m3s in similar condition and mileage if the other ads are asking for higher price. Since theres none in your area, find the ones closest and let them know to justify more price.

Try to get as much as possible. Buy the car back if its cheap enough and drive it hard and enjoy it without much worry.
Jump to top ctdriver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 02:05:36 AM   #12
kippers4brkfast

In the garage:

United States

I think somewhere between 20k-25k is good. Can't hurt to see if you can get a little more out of it.
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 05:17:02 AM   #13
C///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by z531519 View Post
My wife got hit in the intersection so we are dealing with the other parties insurance. It is a 2005 with 98K, mostly stock with square wheels. Insurance gave me 20K (including sales tax). I am contesting since
a) there's nothing available here locally, in fact i bought the M3 out of state. I will for sure have to buy out of state and deal with PPI and shipping, and all the hassles involved.
b) I searched autotrade, most i've seen are in 23-27K (not including EAG samples, but sure would love one for peace of mind).
c) finding a proper replacement is hard work -- i.e. proper color, proper maintenance etc.

What do you guys think, is 20K reasonable at all from the insurance? To those that dealt with insurance, what's my leverage considering we are not at fault in this accident?

Here's a pic of the damage. I though of buying it back, a body shop says he think he can do it for 3K (including side airbags) but that's just from the pictures. I'm afraid that there could be frame damage. Would you buy this back?

Attachment 207406
I think the low $20k's is accurate. I think a lot of people here are over-estimating the value; I too am surprised you got $20k off the bat. That 2006 Interlagos Blue example posted above is NOT what you can expect. The fact that his example was a Competition Package with a rare color, they can show severely limited production numbers, whereas you can't.

I don't think you'll get too much more, maybe another $2k if you're lucky, but I don't think I would buy back your car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jump to top C///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 07:16:30 AM   #14
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdriver86 View Post
You can fight it if the asking price in your area is more. Insurance usually pays out the lowest possible price. Just show them car listings in your area of m3s in similar condition and mileage if the other ads are asking for higher price. Since theres none in your area, find the ones closest and let them know to justify more price.

Try to get as much as possible. Buy the car back if its cheap enough and drive it hard and enjoy it without much worry.

Asking price isn't selling price. Almost everyone knows that. Insurance companies certainly do.
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 08:28:06 AM   #15
LTBU7
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaskin View Post

I guess if u can get 24+K for the car, buy it back for 5k, dump 5 or 6 and pocket the rest.. its ok..
^^

I'd add: if you're planning on selling in the next few years and want max value, might be better off scrapping it. If you have long-term plans or simply dont give a shit about title status and/or future sale value, id keep it.

If you got 24k for the car, you could also theoretically buy it back for 5k and then sell it again for like 8-10k or whatever. Moar $
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 02:53:27 PM   #16
Goose81

In the garage:

United States

20k is a fair offer.
Jump to top Goose81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 02:54:27 PM   #17
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
Asking price isn't selling price. Almost everyone knows that. Insurance companies certainly do.
Made me chuckle

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 03:40:08 PM   #18
z531519

United States

Thanks. The M3 is a competition package and very close to stock. Stock is probably my main qualifier for finding replacement. That offer was actually 19.3K but including tax/sales goes up to 20.6K.

I just told my sons yesterday that they're not getting it back. My 7yr old bawled in tears for about an hour. Man that was hard. We grew up having emotional attachments to vehicles and i think I handed that gene over to my kids. That's the only reason i wanted to buy it back, but i just realized i am letting go of it.

The nearest comps the insurance sent out were from Chicago and Ohio. I'm in MN. There's nothing here. Also the comps they provided are out of the market already so I am trying to get them to show a real live comp that I can actually get.

I sent them a link of comps from autotrader (which they use too) nationwide (filtered by color as well). Also told them that that they will have to factor in PPI and shipping. My reasoning is that we are not at fault here and I would imagine that there is room to negotiate especially for the "hidden costs", not to mention all the hassle of buying a car out of sight (and sleazy used car dealers!). I haven't dealt with insurance as a claimant, so I have no clue whether they can just say, i am SOL.

I did note about EAG pricing, it shows up on autotrader, but mentioned i didn't even add it to my average pricing. I did take a vid of my son crying, i should send it to them and maybe they'd buy him the EAG sample, like the sweet E30 M3
Jump to top z531519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 07:32:51 PM   #19
smaglik

United States

Keep sending them info that they're incorrect, and keep saying no. When my ex totaled my Xterra back in 2011, they raised their offer from 12.5k to 16k. I think I could have gotten more. I think they were purposely pulling BS comps. It was a 4x4 in Flagstaff, and they kept showing me 4x2s in Phoenix. They're motivated to screw you. Screw back.
Jump to top smaglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 09:53:36 PM   #20
delvin
Water Champion

United States

When I was hit in my e28 I sent them comps from all over the US from every possible place, forums, autotrader, facebook, offer up, everything. Don'y wait for them to find comps, you should find them and bombard them with links and reasons why. You'll need a flight possibly, a PPI as you said, lodging, time off work, etc. Present all this as the way it is, don't ask for it, tell them. The worst they can say is no.

Keep fighting, **** them.
Jump to top delvin is offline   Reply With Quote