BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 07:17:36 PM   #1
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Default Help! Bouncing idle after intake airbox reinstallation

So Iíve been dealing with this issue after a long drive where pushing the car above 3500-4000 rpm the car will throw eml, brake, disc and then following these lights the car goes into limp and throws the oil, battery light and cuts the power steering. I figured after pulling codes P0221 and P0121 from a generic ob2 reader that it was a tps so I purchased one and replaced the front sensor along with spark plugs and coils. This did not change anything after a test drive so I began pulling out the intake to access the tps sensor below the intake. I then went ahead and replaced the lower tps and after assembling the intake together and began to have this extremely rough idle as if the fuel line was being chocked. I made sure everything was connected and along the way I cleaned each plug with maf cleaner. I even went back and removed the manifold again and double checked that everything was connected correctly. I did not install the 6 clamps that connect the intake manifold to the engine as I will need to replace those so the only thing I could think of is this could be causing the issue but it seems airtight without them, could this really be causing this extreme idle?

I cant figure this out for the life of me. I did stupidly forget to disconnect the battery but the engine management fuses (pack of 5) all were in tact. I have pretty much searched every thread for a solution but nothing has seemed to work. I would really appreciate any input or previous experiences with this type of issue.

https://youtu.be/_lmczwa_Xiw

Mods: Active Autowerke Headers, Supersprint Sport, Stage 3 B-Spec Tune, Powerflex Control/Trailing Arms, H&R Sport, Macht Schnell Elbow/filter, Xtrons Headunit.

Major Maintenance: Cooling System Refresh, Subframe Bushings & Reinforcement, Differential rebuild.
Jump to top Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 07:27:46 PM   #2
Jeffy JJ

Philippines

Default Re: Help! Bouncing idle after intake airbox reinstallation

If you have the means, try clearing adaptations on the dme.

Last edited by Jeffy JJ; Fri, Dec-01-2017 at 07:34:48 PM.
Jump to top Jeffy JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 08:03:41 PM   #3
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Anyone in LA that would be willing to do this for me? Pm me and let me know how much!

Mods: Active Autowerke Headers, Supersprint Sport, Stage 3 B-Spec Tune, Powerflex Control/Trailing Arms, H&R Sport, Macht Schnell Elbow/filter, Xtrons Headunit.

Major Maintenance: Cooling System Refresh, Subframe Bushings & Reinforcement, Differential rebuild.
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 08:16:46 PM   #4
angelr

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Anyone in LA that would be willing to do this for me? Pm me and let me know how much!
I'm not in La, I'm in the mountains near Arrowhead and Big Bear but if you're willing to drive a little I can do it for you. No charge, beer is always accepted. Great roads up here too!
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 09:20:16 PM   #5
L0ADED

United States

Almost guaranteed there is a vacuum leak. Check the idle control valve connector under the intake manifold that it is fully clipped/secured and all six throttle body boots on the intake manifold are fully sealed. There is also the tube for the oil return under the manifold. Just double check all connections and you'll most likely find the culprit.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 01:03:29 AM   #6
MrCooperS

United States

Did you unplug and plug in the MAF sensor by any chance? Someone once mentioned it’s possible to install it backwards and cause the symptoms you’re describing.
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 01:05:17 AM   #7
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

I attempted to install backwards but the way the screws sit it can only mount one way :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:13:32 PM   #8
ctdriver86

United States

Make sure the oil drain hose to the oil pan is clipped on and all your hoses are tight. Im sure its your throttle bodies without clamps thats causing it. Its clamped for a reason, go to a parts store and buy clamps!
Jump to top ctdriver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:29:00 PM   #9
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Did you use worm-gear clamps on the throttle body clamps? Make 100% sure nothing is obstructing the throttle actuator
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:35:38 PM   #10
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
So Iíve been dealing with this issue after a long drive where pushing the car above 3500-4000 rpm the car will throw eml, brake, disc and then following these lights the car goes into limp and throws the oil, battery light and cuts the power steering. I figured after pulling codes P0221 and P0121 from a generic ob2 reader that it was a tps so I purchased one and replaced the front sensor along with spark plugs and coils. This did not change anything after a test drive so I began pulling out the intake to access the tps sensor below the intake. I then went ahead and replaced the lower tps and after assembling the intake together and began to have this extremely rough idle as if the fuel line was being chocked. I made sure everything was connected and along the way I cleaned each plug with maf cleaner. I even went back and removed the manifold again and double checked that everything was connected correctly. I did not install the 6 clamps that connect the intake manifold to the engine as I will need to replace those so the only thing I could think of is this could be causing the issue but it seems airtight without them, could this really be causing this extreme idle?

I cant figure this out for the life of me. I did stupidly forget to disconnect the battery but the engine management fuses (pack of 5) all were in tact. I have pretty much searched every thread for a solution but nothing has seemed to work. I would really appreciate any input or previous experiences with this type of issue.

https://youtu.be/_lmczwa_Xiw
You may have forgotten to plug one of the vacuum lines under your airbox in when you reassembled it. Same thing happened to me after I did my Vanos/airbox cleaning project.

Jared's M3 Learning Project: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Jump to top JaredMV is online now   Reply With Quote