BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 09:26:53 PM   #31
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 1998 Alpine White Sedan Build Thread

^ Thanks for the feedback. Really is amazing work, here. Attn to detail rivals that of what was done to the #84326 Ferrari F40 LM chassis a few years back.
Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 09:57:08 PM   #32
Braymond141

United States

Trunk detail and optima battery delete. A proper fitting BMW battery was installed.

318is/4 Class II parts

The audio mess ("audiophile" people suck). Everything was properly reconnected back to factory spec.

Interior details. The seats and door panels will get redone. They are just OK now.

Full extraction of the carpet. It was actually really nice with no stains or fading.

All vinyl thoroughly cleaned and degreased.

Armrest delete

CD43. I'm not really a fan of the way these fit, but the deck is so much better than the C33.

318is/4 Class II element

318is/4 Class II rear wing install

The sedan wing install kit does not use the coupe reinforcement plates so I modified the coupe parts to fit.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 10:11:08 PM   #33
Braymond141

United States

Dinan supercharger install. 10psi with custom intake pipes that clear the Euro Bosch lights without any fuss.

"Fresh rebuild" ebay purchase... :rolleyes:

Full rebuild. The 96 journal has more details if you're curious how.

Relocated the horn (only using one)

I removed these in a way that they can be reinstalled if needed.

Pipe mock up

Welded up

Adding a supercharger oil drain provision to the factory dipstick tube.

I was unwilling to cut the harness to extend the MAF wire, so I made an extension.

Complete. Note the obvious changes in addition to the charger.

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 11:11:14 PM   #34
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Great... now I have to pull my engine so it looks as clean as that! Thanks a bunch! In all seriousness, great work. Always love your builds and everything comes out looking fresh out of the factory. Getting the bolts all replated was one of the things I regret. If I was to redo mine again (which will happen in the future) I would get everything zinc plated instead of buying new, non OEM stuff
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 12:44:51 PM   #35
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

I'm a fan of the media-blast aluminum-refinishing technique used here. That said, there's nothing wrong with painting aluminum if you're not afraid to get dirty with the proper acid/chromate-conversion treatments and/or a good epoxy primer, with a quality topcoat. The lazy way of aerosol clear-coating, or aerosol spray painting aluminum leads to garbage longevity of the finish, which I guess is where the commentary on painting aluminum came from.

I was also hoping to see more explanation about the electroplating refinishing of the OEM hardware. I have my own, kind of crude electroplating rig in my garage, and it gets OK-good results, but am looking to improve on it with details from other's DIY setups. I haven't tried zinc-chromate coating yet, which is why I hope the explanation isn't just "I sent the hardware somewhere."

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
I would get everything zinc plated instead of buying new, non OEM stuff
Indeed, this is the way to go from both a cost and attention to detail standpoint. The cost of new hardware will nickle and dime you right to death, but after the initial investment in supplies, an electroplating setup is cheap and keeps on giving.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 04:02:17 PM   #36
CheckABS
Volks or bust!

United States

Great Saturday morning read and jaw dropping when seeing the results.

Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing with the community.

For Sale:
Volk TE37SL 18x9.5 +35 squared
Volk CE28N 19s
Jump to top CheckABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 05:33:52 PM   #37
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
I'm a fan of the media-blast aluminum-refinishing technique used here. That said, there's nothing wrong with painting aluminum if you're not afraid to get dirty with the proper acid/chromate-conversion treatments and/or a good epoxy primer, with a quality topcoat. The lazy way of aerosol clear-coating, or aerosol spray painting aluminum leads to garbage longevity of the finish, which I guess is where the commentary on painting aluminum came from.

I was also hoping to see more explanation about the electroplating refinishing of the OEM hardware. I have my own, kind of crude electroplating rig in my garage, and it gets OK-good results, but am looking to improve on it with details from other's DIY setups. I haven't tried zinc-chromate coating yet, which is why I hope the explanation isn't just "I sent the hardware somewhere."

Indeed, this is the way to go from both a cost and attention to detail standpoint. The cost of new hardware will nickle and dime you right to death, but after the initial investment in supplies, an electroplating setup is cheap and keeps on giving.
I disagree entirely on any method of aluminum painting unless you’re going for a specific color change or the metal is just too rotten. If it can be saved, original bare finish is always worlds better and shows originality at the concourse level (not that anything here is that level). Painting is the easy way out. All too often I see people take something like a gearbox, paint it all including the bolts and off they go to a judged event. The UK guys especially (detailingworld.co.uk).

I sent the hardware out. 5 gallon bucket or 80lbs is $80 and it’s done in two days. DIY makes no sense at that value. I blasted any parts that I wanted extra nice but most came out flawless anyway. They acid dip, zinc plate and dye yellow chromate. This shop isn’t setup for newer ZNS3 (crushed zinc) coatings which is why everything was yellow.

Here’s a company that does it right https://www.facebook.com/StiptPolish...38554299545840

Although they paint the aluminum and bolts on some, ugh...
https://www.facebook.com/StiptPolish...943483/?type=3

Last edited by Braymond141; Sat, Dec-02-2017 at 05:56:45 PM.
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 09:38:53 PM   #38
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Curious what your gripe was with the Optima battery and (what looks to be) BimmerWorld tray?

Awesome build, I have serious workspace envy.
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 10:00:21 PM   #39
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Curious what your gripe was with the Optima battery and (what looks to be) BimmerWorld tray?

Awesome build, I have serious workspace envy.
The optima battery did not come with the proper mounting and the price for such a heavy battery doesn’t make sense for me (agm drycell aside). I’d rather just have a lighter, cheaper Mini Cooper / CSL battery.

Not sure what you mean by BW tray?

Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 03:12:48 AM   #40
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Ever thought about fitting the european alternator cooling ducts? With the supercharger in the way, I'm not sure it will fit. But I always thought that was would be an interesting fitment.
Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote