BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Oct-27-2017, 09:14:11 PM   #11
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Brake Booster Discussion

Poking around the web I found this post on Bimmerforums which is good info regarding just the sensor in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorHor
A week or 2 ago the ABS light started coming on. My dad searched around and found out that the Pedal Travel Switch/ Sensor was the problem. He found that the solder broke inside it. The fix is simple and easy.

This is what he Wrote:

The pedal travel switch is nothing more then a slide switch. When the break pedal is pressed down, the switch inside the sensor moves to a different resistor. The resistors are in series as the break pedal is pressed down; therefore, resistance increases, but it becomes open when the break pedal is pressed all the way down.

To test the sensor connect a ohm meter at the output of the sensor, and press the break pedal and you should see the resistance start to change according to this chart.

Problem I found on my PTS is that it was intermittent at the connection point from connection pins to the PCB inside the unit. My ABS light will come on only sometimes, so the failure agreed with what I found.

When troubleshooting the unit make sure you wiggle the connector to see if the resistance reading changes from some resistance to open. If that is the case you have a cold solder joint at the connection pins and the PCB.
To repair the unit, you need an ohm meter, soldering iron, solder, x-acto knife, RTV, and a small screw driver.

The way to open up the unit is to start from the back where the connector is. Cut through the sealant with a x-acto knife slowly between the body of the unit and the connector pin unit. You might need to hear the save a little to soften up the glue / RTV then use a screwdriver to pry it open.

When I opened my unit the PBC was separated from the connector. If the solder is still holding them together it will be a bit tougher to pull the PCB away from the body. When you get it open pull the PCB and switch out slowly because there is a loaded spring inside.

Inspect all the solder. What I did was clean up all the solder jints to the resisters with solder wich and resolderd them in. Solder the PCB to the connector pins and install the PCB, spring, and connector unto to the housing. Make sure you put them back the way it came out. Apply some RTV to the connector unit and push it back into the housing.

If you have any questions please ask and I will answer if I can or I will forward them to my dad.

It has been about a month and no problems as of yet.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ch-ABS-DIY-Fix

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-27-2017, 09:29:57 PM   #12
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Also, I've been searching online and talking to some of the parts retailers in Europe regarding this brake booster.

I was able to locate a retailer online in France that had the best price with shipping for 281€ at the time of this post is, $326

https://www.mecatrouve.com/

I also reached out to ATE in Europe and North America to see what they would have to say, since they make the part.

ATE in Germany forwarded my request internally, but I never heard back. I called ATE North America and all they could tell me was that the part is discontinued.

I also reached out to ATE Australia on Facebook because, why not and it's often more direct than an email going into some customer service blackhole.

They initially asked me to call them, but I wasn't going to bother (it's 2017 - use the phone? LOL) so I just gave them more information into the problem via Facebook messenger.

They forwarded my info to their sales team then got back to me with this:

We'll see what happens next.

It's now the weekend there, so I don't expect to hear back for a couple of days.

Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 05:11:49 PM   #13
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Just to follow-up, ATE Australia got back to me with a price that was considerably higher than ordering it from a 3rd party seller in Europe.

I placed the order last week, so we'll see.

Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 05:08:55 PM   #14
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Looks like my ATE brake booster arrived from France yesterday. Shipping was one day short of two weeks. Box arrived without any import fees, so I guess these guys did their paperwork right.

All in all, I'm very happy. Still not sure why ATE stopped selling these here in the US - but probably due to taxes and shit.

Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 05:18:19 PM   #15
pbonsalb

Let us know whether you think it improves pedal feel over a working original one.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 05:20:20 PM   #16
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

I'm going to start with the master cylinder first though, since everything I've read and the BMW techs I've spoken with say the MC is usually the likely culprit in this case.

If that doesn't solve it, then I'm going to try the booster.

Lastly, it might just be the floating calipers, so then I'll go with a 996 upgrade.

If that doesn't fix it, one of my Nissan tech friends said his E36M had the same problem and the fix was replacing the ABS pump...

Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 01:14:48 AM   #17
SamGrant951

United States

Did you order online from them or send them a note before completing order? Im using my google translator and I see the price as $218 euro =$256 but all the shipping options are to european unions/etc...dont see any good ole USA options...thanks!!

Also the master cyl seem way overpriced here, do you know the x-reference ATE part number for that as well by chance?
Sold: 97 M3/4/6 Byzanz, 99 M Coupe, 02 M Coupe

Last edited by SamGrant951; Wed, Nov-22-2017 at 01:20:47 AM.
Jump to top SamGrant951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 01:21:05 AM   #18
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
Did you order online from them or send them a note before completing order? Im using my google translator and I see the price as $218 euro =$256 but all the shipping options are to european unions/etc...dont see any good ole USA options...thanks!!
Shipping was 55€ to California from Villeneuve-lès-Maguelone, France

To get the shipping set-up correctly, I had to create an account and then tell them I wanted to ship to the USA. I included my address in the email so they could set-up a direct link to the part that I could add to my shopping cart with the correct shipping amount.

contact@mecatrouve.com