BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Mar-13-2017, 08:44:55 PM   #11
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG Gear Position sensor?

The 87 aktions modi is a new code but I have been gettting the precat sensor.
I thought I read somewhere along the way that it was best to perform the diags on a cold engine, but I've read so much in so many threads lately that it's no telling what I read. Haha

The clutch control code is new, but the gps codes have been existent.

The only time I know of that it might have not cranked is during the adaptation process when it asks you to "hold brake down and start engine." At that point, I'm assuming that it was in a different gear because I had to turn the car off completely and then right back on to get it into neutral to crank. I didn't realize that I should use INPA to shift into neutral. That would save for any disruptions from having to turn the car off during the process.
Jump to top westhirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-06-2017, 10:25:31 PM   #12
byte9

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhirteen View Post
The 87 aktions modi is a new code but I have been gettting the precat sensor.
I thought I read somewhere along the way that it was best to perform the diags on a cold engine, but I've read so much in so many threads lately that it's no telling what I read. Haha

The clutch control code is new, but the gps codes have been existent.

The only time I know of that it might have not cranked is during the adaptation process when it asks you to "hold brake down and start engine." At that point, I'm assuming that it was in a different gear because I had to turn the car off completely and then right back on to get it into neutral to crank. I didn't realize that I should use INPA to shift into neutral. That would save for any disruptions from having to turn the car off during the process.
An older thread but did you find resolution? I've been through a nightmare of smg pump replacement, relays and a new clutch and it's in the driveway and what i have left i think is the GPS.
Jump to top byte9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-06-2017, 11:46:49 PM   #13
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

It did end up being the gps. I was able to change it in the driveway using jack stands and ramps. After putting the new one in, I ran the adaptations and everything has been fine ever since.
Jump to top westhirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 12:51:59 AM   #14
byte9

United States

Quote:
It did end up being the gps. I was able to change it in the driveway using jack stands and ramps. After putting the new one in, I ran the adaptations and everything has been fine ever since.
How bad were your symptoms? I put the new pump in and before the pump i had some lag that i wasn't sure if was clutch/pump or just pump. After the pump i still had lag so i thought clutch going, finally i got stranded after some spirited driving that had lag and then finally stranded me in N. So i had a new clutch put into it and it wouldn't program and sat at a shop for two months. I finally got it back and after being beat up on the previous stuff let it sit. Now with inpa i was able to get it to program to a place where it will shift super slowly but not good enough that i'll trust going on the road. When it does shift it can be very violent as the clutch won't engage until it lines up and then BAM. I can mitigate this by keeping revs down (this is all 2am driving tests around the block with no traffic). Did you have any lag symptoms or similar?
Old Fri, Dec-08-2017, 08:30:55 PM   #15
byte9

United States

Quote:
Sir | bump