BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:38:06 PM   #21
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
RTD > AKG, but my car is track only. The self centering spring is a game changer.
+1

Bonus if your trans detents have been refreshed recently.

I too only track my car.

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:42:14 PM   #22
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhcrubarb View Post
I have a late 2016 (received January of 2017) RTD shifter, race height non-lockout on my track car and I love it. There is a little bit of play in the tolerances but for half the price of the CAE I'm not complaining. I've never shifted an AKG or CAE to know any different.
AKG is great but I was never confident in the 4-5 shift with it, always afraid I would miss and hit 3rd, which in fact did happen with somebody else driving the car. Also because it's not self centering, I would occasionally miss the 4-3 downshift when the car was laterally loaded. Self-centering shifter fixed both those issues.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:57:19 PM   #23
TEASE///M3

United States

Frank, your car is littered with quality peaces. Seems like you're taking the buy the best avoid the regret/headache approach this time. Get a CAE if that's the shifter type you're after.

Untitled by . McFarlin, on Flickr
2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos Blue Manual Cinnamon 6MT Slicktop
RIP 2002 M3 Tiag Dove Grey 6MT
Jump to top TEASE///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:27:14 PM   #24
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Sorry to see this turned into another CAE vs RTD thread.

The CAE shifters I've tried in cars were way too notchy going into and out of the shift gates and the price is still questionable for some. I think people like them because they are such a departure from OEM and of course people get caught up in the name. "Oh, you have a CAE shifter?! You're such a baller!"

My RTD doesn't flex, but I guess if you really yank on it outside of normal driving you might see some flex? Who does that though?

I don't think there's anything wrong with another company making a cage style shifter and unless CAE has some sort of patent on this particular design? Everyone wins when companies create healthy competition, as that drives down prices and forces companies to improve quality.

IIRC race teams have been running similar cage style shifter set-ups for years that weren't directly from CAE.

What about that Samsonas short shifter? It's also similar to the CAE. I don't see CAE getting bent out of shape about that design. Is that also a #NoFakeShifter?

I don't have any horse in this race, but I've seen some people come out with both guns blazing and I don't understand it.

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 07:30:43 PM   #25
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Sorry to see this turned into another CAE vs RTD thread.

The CAE shifters I've tried in cars were way too notchy going into and out of the shift gates and the price is still questionable for some. I think people like them because they are such a departure from OEM and of course people get caught up in the name. "Oh, you have a CAE shifter?! You're such a baller!"

My RTD doesn't flex, but I guess if you really yank on it outside of normal driving you might see some flex? Who does that though?

I don't think there's anything wrong with another company making a cage style shifter and unless CAE has some sort of patent on this particular design? Everyone wins when companies create healthy competition, as that drives down prices and forces companies to improve quality.

IIRC race teams have been running similar cage style shifter set-ups for years that weren't directly from CAE.

What about that Samsonas short shifter? It's also similar to the CAE. I don't see CAE getting bent out of shape about that design. Is that also a #NoFakeShifter?

I don't have any horse in this race, but I've seen some people come out with both guns blazing and I don't understand it.
Pretty sure that your entire post I can see is directed to me (I haven't read the entire thread). I have no horse in the race. I can only report my experience seeing and handling them side-by-side, which I was fortunate to be able to do. Like I said, RTD reached out to me (I didn't reach out to them) based on the feedback I gave AND RTD reached out to the shop I was referring to, to retest their shifter... The shop wasn't interested (they are focused on racing and not pushing products)...I was (still am) interested in the offer though.

Here is a screen capture to show I am not "fluffing" this up:

I fully intended to do a complete review. I even offered to organize a GB, in the event that their "new" revision (which is a departure from CAE) ended up being great. He was on board and fully appreciative of my return offer (assuming a positive review). His original message was sent on October 8th. I sent him my shipping information and contact information and we agreed on honest terms. I was told to reach back with him over the next couple weeks as he didn't have any of his "new, not yet released" version of his product available (which is understandable). I reached back out to him a little over 2 weeks later for a status update and again on November 4th to which I have yet to receive a reply.

I'm still apt to and open to the offer...Thus far though, it's not looking like he will be delivering on his word (I hope i'm wrong).

Just sharing my experience. Maybe his newer product has fixed the many issues that I saw. There seems to be plenty of people happy with their purchase. How many of them also have experience with CAE shifters, that I don't know. All I can comment on is what I saw as compared to what I saw next to CAE (which this is a copy of). Based on comparing those samples, I wasn't impressed with RTD. In fact, soon after, the owner of the racecar with the RTD shifter replaced it with an authentic CAE shifter. From what I was told, it wasn't up to the demands of the racetrack. These guys race competitively, they don't care about names, brands, or "baller-status"...they are not bringing their cars to car shows, or driving their cars on the street. Baller status for the hard-core track guys consists of winning races, not what parts are on the car. They just want parts that standup to the test of competitive racing. They care about winning. If it works, fantastic. If it doesn't, it's quickly replaced with a part that does work. I'm certainly no authority on this. Take my comments as just one data point adding to a larger sample size. I think it's worth sharing though.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 07:53:57 PM   #26
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Rtd street car....zero issues to date have the first original mini version. Our cars dont need a lockout version. Save yourself some money frank.

Lmao cae wasnt even in your topic.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768

Last edited by skillzo1; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 08:00:42 PM.
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 07:57:05 PM   #27
mcmahonbj

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Skip the RTD shifter and get the real deal CAE shifter.

My local raceshop who specializes in Spec-E46 Racing and E46 M3 Racing has a ton of track experience with both. Here is what he had to say about the RTD in comparison to the CAE shifter when asked about the difference between the two:

I've seen the both up close and personal, they are NOT the same and the quality is NOT the same at all. Apparently RTD had to revise their latest variation of shifters due to a law-suit from CAE (from what I am told). I'm not sure if they are still making the lockout version or not, or if they had to cease and desist (I see them still listed for sale). Buying an RTD shifter without the adjustable gear set point pin stops or without the gear lock-out ability pretty much deletes the point of the shifter. Having messed around with both shifters, side by side, in a Spec-E46 race car, other then them looking nearly identical, I wasn't impressed with the RTD shifter.

The owner of the company even reached out to me after reading a brief review I gave from both myself and the race-shop, and he told both of us that he would be sending us out their 'latest' product to test and review free of charge due to our negative feedback/experience. a couple months later and the owner won't even reply to my messages. Don't buy a cheap knock-off. Get the real thing (CAE) or get a different shifter. They might look the same -- but after seeing multiple, they are not. Just read the description alone, on both of their websites, RTD even plagiarized that nearly word-for-word from CAE. Don't give waste your money on a subpar part. Don't encourage business practices like this. Buy a CAE if that's the style shifter you want. It's fantastic. It's pricey for a reason but you get what you pay for.

Just Installed One Into My M3
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 08:35:43 PM   #28
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post
Rtd street car....zero issues to date have the first original mini version. Our cars dont need a lockout version. Save yourself some money frank.

Lmao cae wasnt even in your topic.
Read the thread. It's on topic. Nearly every other post that mentioned RTD also mentioned CAE. If you are considering an RTD shifter, it would behoove you to not ignore the very shifter it was a copy of, especially if quality is what you value most when upgrading your car vs budget. Forgive me if I don't join in on the RTD owner circle jerk by censoring out CAE. Had I said that I've seen them both back to back and the RTD was better and cheaper, I doubt you would be bitching. Choice-supportive bias, I get it. I've got no horse in this race. Just sharing my personal experience so that readers of this thread have more data points to go off of. The only (2?) people complaining about the thoughts that I have shared (based on my own personal opinion seeing both side-by-side) are those that own the knock-off -- Go figure. If you like your shifter and sleep better at night with the money saved after purchasing the RTD, well that is good enough for me. However, being more informed about the options (and the pros and cons of each) prior to spending your money is never a bad thing and hearing differing opinions only serve to help you make the right choice for yourself when it comes to spending your own money.

It would be like discussing one set of headers vs SS knock-offs, and expecting people not to mention authentic SS headers. If you want the "best" for your car...Why limit the discussion given the direct similarities?

I also think I said a lot about RTD....much more than CAE itself (only thing I mentioned about CAE was that I recommend it over the RTD) the rest of what I said was about RTD....So once again, I'm on topic. He asked for the pros and cons. Sorry you don't like what I have to say and/or disagree.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 08:42:51 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 08:50:38 PM   #29
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

FWIW my post wasn't directed at you explicitly Dr M3an M3, it was about the fact that I see a lot of posts from pro-CAE owners hating on RTD and I felt it worth mentioning.

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 09:08:18 PM   #30
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Read the thread. It's on topic. Nearly every other post that mentioned RTD also mentioned CAE. If you are considering an RTD shifter, it would behoove you to not ignore the very shifter it was a copy of, especially if quality is what you value most when upgrading your car vs budget. Forgive me if I don't join in on the RTD owner circle jerk by censoring out CAE. Had I said that I've seen them both back to back and the RTD was better and cheaper, I doubt you would be bitching. Choice-supportive bias, I get it. I've got no horse in this race. Just sharing my personal experience so that readers of this thread have more data points to go off of. The only (2?) people complaining about the thoughts that I have shared (based on my own personal opinion seeing both side-by-side) are those that own the knock-off -- Go figure. If you like your shifter and sleep better at night with the money saved after purchasing the RTD, well that is good enough for me. However, being more informed about the options (and the pros and cons of each) prior to spending your money is never a bad thing and hearing differing opinions only serve to help you make the right choice for yourself when it comes to spending your own money.

It would be like discussing one set of headers vs SS knock-offs, and expecting people not to mention authentic SS headers.

I also think I said a lot about RTD....much more than CAE itself....other than that I recommended them over the CAE....So once again, I'm on topic. He asked for the pros and cons.

Its not in the topic..do u see it in the thread title...NO YOU DONT! THREAD TOP IS AKG vs RTD SHIFTER. Cae is $900 compared to RTD $500 or whatever it is. Frank doesnt want to spwnd that much so it NOT in the topic.

And wtf would RTD send you a free shifter...lol? I for sure as shit wouldnt...you have no credibility. If he said he would send a free shifter to kaiv or someone like that then it would be different. What kind of tests are you going to do and how are you going to prove that this is better worse or just as good as cae?

That shifter is old af that you pictured for comparison, basically rtd startup shifter so its years old. They have come very far in improving the shifter even from the original one i have. They are only going to get better. There is so many differences you cant even compare them. Talking about the new shifter here. I dont even know if they sell the lockout anymore.

Glad he didnt give you a free shifter cuase thats exactly what you want....this isnt the first time youve tried something like this. Your a freeloader lookin for a handout thats all....and annoying at that.

Frank save yourself some coin and get an rtd...you wont regret it.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768

Last edited by skillzo1; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 09:13:58 PM.
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote