BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 01:24:36 PM   #141
SQ13

United States

Default Re: Turner's new monoball FCABs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I have 3000 miles on mine, no noise.

Did you grease them?
What brand of grease are you using?
Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 02:34:41 PM   #142
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
What brand of grease are you using?
For chassis bits, I'm using Schaeffer 238.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/123-238-td.pdf

It is very much not an "all season tire" grease, and should not be used in some other circumstances-- e.g. bearings. But, after a fair bit of research, I feel confident it's an excellent chassis joint grease.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Sep-21-2017 at 02:39:26 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-20-2017, 01:07:31 AM   #143
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It

United States

Emailed Turner about this but didn't hear back. As I and some others have mentioned, my reinforcement plate wouldn't line up once I installed these FCABS. I had to pull them out of the lollipop and push them back into the OEM ones after removing my rubber bushings from them. Overall it was a PITA and I shouldn't have had to do it, but now that its done everything lines up perfectly like stock.

Also, I used a puller to get the FCAB off and the actual poly piece stayed on the control arm, leaving the monoball free. The other one I took off came off as one piece. All is fine now, but I'll report have if there is any noise. So far I'm really liking how these feel.
Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 07:15:08 PM   #144
BBRTuning

In the garage:

United States

Wanted to share the trouble I've had with these; really unfortunate as I love the Turner RTABs, very nice pieces and had no issues with those. These FCABs have been quite the headache though.

I ordered these a couple weeks ago, the kit with the brackets + hardware, but unfortunately Turner sent the wrong kit (sent just the bushings). Thankfully they were helpful about it and overnighted the correct kit.

I managed to find a mini grease gun, 3oz moly grease, and the Lincoln 5803 needle grease fitting, all from my local O'Reilly Auto Parts, so that was easy. Greasing them is a bit weird, I found that the grease comes out of the part of the bearing seal closest to the fitting, and still felt dry as if the bushings still weren't fully greased. I worked them back and forth and around a bit and regreased a couple times and it was a little better. I figure the grease will spread around internally more with time as the car is driven.

I get my old ones removed (delrin Treehouse units) and go to fit the passenger side, only to realise Turner sent me two left sides! I suppose I should have checked this first, but there were no instructions, and I only confirmed it by the small part number printed on the brackets, with a small L at the end... There was also some junk inside the threads that had to be cleaned out with a tap and an air chuck. The casting on the brackets they provide is really, really low quality. As stated by others, if I could do it again, I'd install these into OEM lollipops.

Since I was under there already, I figured I'd try to fit the driver (left) side just to see how it goes, after reading some of the other posts on here. Not only were the countersinks in the brackets not the correct shape, I wasn't able to get them to line up exactly with the holes in the chassis. It looks like it would be possible to get them in with some massaging (i.e. banging) and some slight drill work on the countersinks, again as previously stated by others here.

At this point I gave up and put my old Treehouse units back on, which slide on and line up perfect. I was worried that the Delrin was worn after 15k miles and 5 track days but they looked as good as new. I still would like to run the Turner mono-ball units, but after I get them exchanged (again) for the correct pieces, I might hold off a bit until next time I'm ready to do an alignment.

Not really trying to sway people away from these, but unlike most other kits similar to this, be prepared for some work. You may get lucky with yours, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Double check the parts and part numbers, get a grease gun sorted out ahead of time, and be ready to fiddle around with them for a while to get them installed.

///BBRTuning | 2001 LSB M3 6MT | AEM Infinity + flex fuel tuned by me | JE 11.5/Carillo S54 by Pure Performance | Moton Motorsport 3WR + rear coilover, 700/450, no rear bar | Stoptech Trophy BBK 6F/4R 355x32 | Apex SM-10 18x10+25 (x4) | BMW M 4.10 | Turner monoball FCAB/RTABs | Z3 rack | Lang Racing CF roof | Sparco Evo2 (x2) | AP Race roll bar
Jump to top BBRTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 07:31:18 PM   #145
lippstuh

In the garage:

United States

FYI I have a grease gun with grease. If anyone in the LA area needs to borrow it, PM me.

Mods · Evolve Eventuri · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · Square OE Style 67 18s · OE CSL trunk · OE LED taillights

To be installed · 996 Brembo BBK F+R · RTD Mini SSK + DSSR · Rogue Engineering transmission mounts · Reddish plates · VinceBar · Valentine 1
Jump to top lippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 07:32:12 PM   #146
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Turner's new monoball FCABs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRTuning View Post
Wanted to share the trouble I've had with these; really unfortunate as I love the Turner RTABs, very nice pieces and had no issues with those. These FCABs have been quite the headache though.

I ordered these a couple weeks ago, the kit with the brackets + hardware, but unfortunately Turner sent the wrong kit (sent just the bushings). Thankfully they were helpful about it and overnighted the correct kit.

I managed to find a mini grease gun, 3oz moly grease, and the Lincoln 5803 needle grease fitting, all from my local O'Reilly Auto Parts, so that was easy. Greasing them is a bit weird, I found that the grease comes out of the part of the bearing seal closest to the fitting, and still felt dry as if the bushings still weren't fully greased. I worked them back and forth and around a bit and regreased a couple times and it was a little better. I figure the grease will spread around internally more with time as the car is driven.

I get my old ones removed (delrin Treehouse units) and go to fit the passenger side, only to realise Turner sent me two left sides! I suppose I should have checked this first, but there were no instructions, and I only confirmed it by the small part number printed on the brackets, with a small L at the end... There was also some junk inside the threads that had to be cleaned out with a tap and an air chuck. The casting on the brackets they provide is really, really low quality. As stated by others, if I could do it again, I'd install these into OEM lollipops.

Since I was under there already, I figured I'd try to fit the driver (left) side just to see how it goes, after reading some of the other posts on here. Not only were the countersinks in the brackets not the correct shape, I wasn't able to get them to line up exactly with the holes in the chassis. It looks like it would be possible to get them in with some massaging (i.e. banging) and some slight drill work on the countersinks, again as previously stated by others here.

At this point I gave up and put my old Treehouse units back on, which slide on and line up perfect. I was worried that the Delrin was worn after 15k miles and 5 track days but they looked as good as new. I still would like to run the Turner mono-ball units, but after I get them exchanged (again) for the correct pieces, I might hold off a bit until next time I'm ready to do an alignment.

Not really trying to sway people away from these, but unlike most other kits similar to this, be prepared for some work. You may get lucky with yours, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Double check the parts and part numbers, get a grease gun sorted out ahead of time, and be ready to fiddle around with them for a while to get them installed.

That’s surprising. Sounds like UUC may have bought out Turner. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-16-2017, 03:50:40 AM   #147
breadvan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
That’s surprising. Sounds like UUC may have bought out Turner. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turner is owned by ECS now but I get your joke.
Jump to top breadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 03:14:44 PM   #148
SYRARCH04

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRTuning View Post

I was under the impression there was no need to get an alignment after installing these...
Jump to top SYRARCH04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 04:02:03 PM   #149
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRARCH04 View Post
I was under the impression there was no need to get an alignment after installing these...
I was under the same impression. For rtab's yes alignment but for fcab's I thought not necessary?

I'm holding off to see how the Fall Line fcab's are but have been waiting for a while 😢
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 06:08:01 PM   #150
BBRTuning

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRARCH04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanArt View Post
I was under the same impression. For rtab's yes alignment but for fcab's I thought not necessary?

I'm holding off to see how the Fall Line fcab's are but have been waiting for a while 😢
Always a good idea. The FCAB locates the lower arm which has a direct impact on alignment, obviously. If you have a worn FCAB where the arm is not centred in the lollipop and then install a new FCAB, the alignment will be affected. In my case going from a solid, not worn out Delrin to a monoball FCAB, the alignment really shouldn’t change, but being that I change and realign my car every few months anyway, why not.

///BBRTuning | 2001 LSB M3 6MT | AEM Infinity + flex fuel tuned by me | JE 11.5/Carillo S54 by Pure Performance | Moton Motorsport 3WR + rear coilover, 700/450, no rear bar | Stoptech Trophy BBK 6F/4R 355x32 | Apex SM-10 18x10+25 (x4) | BMW M 4.10 | Turner monoball FCAB/RTABs | Z3 rack | Lang Racing CF roof | Sparco Evo2 (x2) | AP Race roll bar
Jump to top BBRTuning is offline   Reply With Quote