BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 01:26:20 PM   #1
2005IBM3CA

United States

Default horrendous upstairs neighbor how to deal (need advice)

So my girlfriend and I live in a condo complex in a unit which i purchased last year in october. We live on the 2nd floor of a 3 floor unit.

We have an upstairs neighbor, who has a 3 year old boy. Mind you, ive seen kids, know what they act like, but this kid is just beyond anything imaginable. He gets up every morning at 6am, and runs around the living room, kitchen, and every room imaginable. When i say run, i actually mean jump, stomp, scream, whatever. the ceiling vibrates with all of his noise, and probably 1/2 the time, wakes up the girlfriend up. Im a heavy sleeper so it doesnt bother me, until im home after work in the evenings trying to enjoy my dinner and watch some tv and hes doing the same crap.

We have a playground in our gated condo community, so I dont get why his mom/dad cant take him outside and let him run till he gets tired out. I have already gone up to try and have a rational conversation with the parents. Open opening the door, the mother immediately gave me attitude when I brought up the issue. some quotes word for word from her:

"hes a kid, what do you expect?"
"he gets up at 6am, wtf do you want me to do"
"deal with it."

There are also days where his mom tries to get him out of the car and he throws a temper tantrum. we upstairs parking and downstairs parking and sometimes he will throw a temper tantrum and just lay in the middle of the street in the downstairs parking garage and scream and kick, basically making it impossible to go around him. With all of this, i dont think his parents seem to care. im sure you get the point. Now ive already written an email to the HOA manager who supposedly issued them a warning notice. this was probably 3 months ago in the summer. Things have not improved. I have also tried to talk to them a 2nd time which lead to almost getting into a physical altercation with the father.

Im trying to figure out what my options are. I do not have any intention to move. I like everything else about my unit. Can i call the police and file some kind of noise/disturbing the peace complaint? Is there any pressing way to take legal action?

I wrote another email today to the HOA manager and will wait to see what he says. I will also be attending the next HOA board meeting which is held once a month to address this issue.

Any advice/options would be appreciated.

thanks.
Jump to top 2005IBM3CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 02:32:18 PM   #2
cheu_f50
I'll be 15 next month.

United States

Well I'm pretty sure you can't call the cops for noise complain at 6am. If the kid makes a lot of noise at 2am that's a different story. Have you tried to video tape the shaking ceiling etc? It's hard to understand the degree of annoyance the kid causes in writing. Hate to say it but I think you are shit out of luck. I mean if you were the parents what would you do? Can't shut a 3 years old up if the 3 years old wouldn't shut up
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 02:39:39 PM   #3
2005IBM3CA

United States

Default Re: horrendous upstairs neighbor how to deal (need advice)

if i was the parent id take him outside i mean. seriously. theres a playground outside next to the swimming pool. kid can run around all he wants out there. live about half a mile from a park, and half a mile from a huge mall, so those are options as well.

honestly, if i was a parent, saying i cant control my kid deal with it is not a viable option, but this kid has single handedly confirmed my decision about not wanting kids. period.
Jump to top 2005IBM3CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 02:45:47 PM   #4
lucad2

In the garage:

Canada

I understand how 3 year old kids can get a little noisy. As for laying in the little of the road having a temper tantrum? I think those parents have no discipline for that child. Nothing for nothing that is pretty dangerous for a child to lay in the middle of the parking garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"M" The most powerful letter in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyskass View Post
If a new owner showed up at some meet or started talking to you in the parking lot, would you tell him to STFU and suggest he read a book?
Jump to top lucad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 02:48:02 PM   #5
kk2
visor up for pleasure

United States

So is murder not an option?

Going by the road rage/assault thread, my recommendation is to keep a gun between your legs and shoot them.
Jump to top kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 03:31:36 PM   #6
skillz
6MT User

Israel

My condo has an HOA which dictates quiet hours are between 9pm and 8am. I'm not sure if yours has any rules, but if so they are clearly violating them. We had a similar issues, but the upstairs kid was practicing the tuba after 9pm and before school in the morning. Went to our front office and complained and haven't heard the tuba (outside of quiet hours) since...

If you don't have set quiet hours, I would make a habit of knocking on their door (when their kid wakes up) and ensuring they wake up with their kid, and politely asking them to ask the child to quiet down.

2016 Lapiz Blue Golf .:R 6MT
2004 Mystic Blue ///M3 6MT (sold)
Jump to top skillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 03:51:43 PM   #7
SuperFrog
Hello, this is Frog

In the garage:

Ireland

You're SOL.
Jump to top SuperFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 04:29:34 PM   #8
sullybmwm3

United States

Kids are a major pain in the A! If you don't have kids you'll never understand. The best you can do is hope they move soon, or the kid chills out as he grows up. I guess you could always try and sell your place?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Jump to top sullybmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 04:41:44 PM   #9
cornerjunkie
I wake up every morning and piss excellence.

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
So is murder not an option?

Going by the road rage/assault thread, my recommendation is to keep a gun between your legs and shoot them.
This is good advice.
Old Sun, Dec-09-2012, 05:55:32 PM   #10
Gladius
Game Designer

United States

Just keep sending notices to the HOA. They may not be able to do anything in the short term, but you'll establish a record of complaints. And perhaps they will get fines. But yeah, you're probably SOL.

'07 SilverGrey Z4M Coupe || '11 SpaceGrey 328i XDrive
Jump to top Gladius is offline   Reply With Quote