BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Regional M3's > Pacific
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 05:52:26 AM   #1
uclafan818

In the garage:

United States

Default Socal Tint Removal

Sup fellas,

Anybody know of a good place to get my tint removed in socal? I know most tint shops should be able to do this, but I wanna make sure its done right so I don't lose my defrosting on the rear window (the main reason I don't trust myself to do it too). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 06:58:56 AM   #2
suaveflooder

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclafan818 View Post
Sup fellas,

Anybody know of a good place to get my tint removed in socal? I know most tint shops should be able to do this, but I wanna make sure its done right so I don't lose my defrosting on the rear window (the main reason I don't trust myself to do it too). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sadly you probably will loose it. Most shops will make you sign a disclaimer that they are not responsible if/when it goes out. My tint was removed before I got the car (no clue why) and my defroster is gone. I had them re-tinted but the damage was already done. Oh well, it's socal...I really don't use it anyway
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 07:44:57 AM   #3
david328ci

Default Re: Socal Tint Removal

Seems like a good reason to not get tint.
Jump to top david328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 08:10:12 AM   #4
jvit27
TEAM OEM

United States

Go see Marcos @ Solid Edge Window Tinting. 7318 W. Sunset Blvd Los Angeles.

I found a few good reviews for him online after I picked up my 99 M3. It still had the 11 yr old (purple!) tint and I also wanted to preserve the rear defroster. Not only did he do a perfect job, but he's the most knowledgeable guy in that industry that I have yet to talk with. Only charged me $50 to remove the tint from the back window too (I did the sides myself, but you may as well pay him because it's not a fun job). I can't recm'd him highly enough... my defroster still works just fine
Jump to top jvit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 08:10:58 AM   #5
playskool1
NorCal's S54 VANOS/Valve Adjust./Rod Bearing spc.

In the garage:

Philippines

I removed mine myself. save yourself $80 for removal. all you need is a steamer and a razor blade. steam it up real nice and peel away! there are DIY on YouTube if you aren't confident enough doing it.
Full Beisan VANOS overhaul, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, WPC rod bearings = bulletproof
fully built S54 w/ Precision 6870 coming soon!
Jump to top playskool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 10:49:07 AM   #6
shibaljaji

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by playskool1 View Post
I removed mine myself. save yourself $80 for removal. all you need is a steamer and a razor blade. steam it up real nice and peel away! there are DIY on YouTube if you aren't confident enough doing it.
I wouldn't recommend a razor blade

Here is the trick:

1.) get yourself a bottle of ammonia (I went to the local drug store, CVS and purchase a bottle of ammonia with lemon scent) and a spray bottle.

2.) get a couple garbage bags and cut it to the size and shape of your windows. You can do this from the outside. You will need to cover your entire window and every window the tint is on so 2-3 large black garbage bags should do.

3.) spray ammonia on the inside of your window, the entire window, then cover it with the garbage bag cut out of your window. one window at a time, spray a good amount making sure you get the edges too so it will seep through between the window and tint.

It is a good idea to have a lot of paper towels to cover the top of the door panels and to wipe any excess that may drip on you interior. I was able to not get any significant amount of ammonia on my interior. The garbage bag cut out will also stick to the window very well, the sprayed ammonia will act almost like an adhesive. Let soak for an hour or two and make sure there isn't much bubbles.

4.) Take the garbage bag off and you should be able to peel the tint off with your hands. Spray more ammonia if there is any residue and wipe it off.

I really couldn't believe how easy it was. No ammonia smell lingered, I had no damage to the rear defroster.
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 04:19:11 PM   #7
uclafan818

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been tempted by the DIY route, but the thought of getting that ammonia all over my interior is kinda freaking me out. I'll be back from school next weekend, so I'll probably just end up giving Solid Edge a call and see what happens from there.
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 04:20:37 PM   #8
david328ci

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys. I've been tempted by the DIY route, but the thought of getting that ammonia all over my interior is kinda freaking me out. I'll be back from school next weekend, so I'll probably just end up giving Solid Edge a call and see what happens from there.
Not to mention ammonia fumes are really bad for your health in an small enclosed space such as a car.
Jump to top david328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 05:04:08 PM   #9
uclafan818

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by david328ci View Post
Not to mention ammonia fumes are really bad for your health in an small enclosed space such as a car.
also true
Old Sat, Apr-30-2011, 07:43:49 PM   #10
eatsleeplax
Car Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Sup fellas,

Your or my garage, I have a gas mask

But let the guy do the back window, u still want a working defroster