BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Sep-15-2014, 07:03:37 PM   #31
cozmo kraemer

United States

Default Re: Cozmo Kraemer's 2003 Carbonshwartz M3 Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
Bad ass car, I hope mine sits like that.
I'm sure your racecar will sit better! Mine is basically stock ride height now because I moved to less aggressive suspension due to local road conditions. Still JRZ dampers though! Which are worth it. I also like having a factory roll center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangates
Great build so far!
Thank you! The fun parts are yet to come...but they are coming...if Karbonious ever ships the intake.

But now I have an issue with something in the drivetrain to figure out. It never ends. I thought my suspension/drivetrain was good to go. Now I am tearing into it all again, will have some major updates to this thread in the next two weeks. Plus I am going to convert all the attached pictures to hosted pictures.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-16-2014, 12:45:32 AM   #32
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Nice journal with great info!

You did all this on your back with the car on jack stands? That's ambitious! I have a lift so things will be slightly more convenient. Unfortunately I have to deal with the X5's suspension first!

I like the structural epoxy for the rear subframe reinforcements. That is my plan as well though I'll likely spring for the Redish plates.

Keep up the journal and the good work!

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-16-2014, 12:53:49 AM   #33
cozmo kraemer

United States

The hardest part was I did it by myself. Have to get creative to move the fully assembled subframe around on your own.

Cam install with the CSL MAP sensor and DME conversion is coming this weekend. I will make sure to update after that.

Thanks for the kind words! I would go Reddish plates myself if I had it to do over. Hopefully the SF, with the plates/poly bushings/foam will last me for my ownership of the car.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Old Wed, Oct-29-2014, 12:08:39 AM   #34
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Love all your ambitions DIY's! I can't wait to get my rear end refreshed and upgraded gears completed... super jealous over here!

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-13-2014, 12:11:39 AM   #35
cozmo kraemer

United States

Big update from me coming shortly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake 1.jpg (338.4 KB, 114 views)

My Journal

Old Thu, Nov-13-2014, 06:15:21 AM   #36
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

NICE! Looking forward to it. Your going to love a tune from TTFS on top of the OEM CSL SW.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-13-2014, 04:42:41 PM   #37
cozmo kraemer

United States

Oh..I already love it. I was almost going to bed last night and decided to go for another spin. The redline upshifts are just so addicting! It really gets in your head...like I needed anything more rolling around up there!

My Journal

Old Thu, Nov-13-2014, 06:23:47 PM   #38
cozmo kraemer

United States

So here was the install. It was a pretty big event. I did:
  • Shrick 280/272 Cams
  • New OE upper chain guide
  • New belts for evosport pulleys
  • CSL DME conversion with MAP sensor
  • Karbonious CSL Intake
  • Geoff Steel Racing fiberglass snorkel
  • OE CSL Lower main duct cut to fit in OE brake duct
  • TTFS Tune

So basically the cliff notes on the install. I took it all apart in pretty good time. Got the old intake cam out pretty easily using the DIY that Obioban linked to in the Cam install DIY thread. http://m3support.net/thread/186/camshaft-diy-e46-m3 It was very straight forward but I made a couple of mistakes. When i was putting it back together I had the VANOS on and timed for the first time, I was reshimming the engine and dropped a shim on exhaust cylinder 1...don't drop shims on cylinder 1 or 6!!! I couldn't get to it, had to remove VANOS and exhaust cam a second time.

Put it back together a second time (VANOS on and timed, exhaust cam back in), and I am again, reshimming the engine and notice that I left a follower on the wrong side of the cam....just completely stupid, bonehead thing to do. I know better...but then it comes apart a third time to reset the follower...back in goes exhaust cam, back on goes VANOS, retime...at least it is all shimmed at this point. Then button up the valve cover.

Installed the belts when the VANOS was off. Installed the chain guide when it was all apart (old one was broken as usual).

The intake install was pretty easy. Pop the clips off the boots on the TB side, undo the dipstick tube, disconnect the two nuts underneath, and disconnect the two hoses that connect underneath. I disconnected the main hose connector that connects to the intake, from the rubber hose, and left the pinch connector on the intake (way easier this way!!).

Installed the Karbonious CSL intake. It contacts the aux water pump heater thing...so I had to remove that from the mount. Otherwise fit perfect. Was a little fussy getting it to work with the GS snorkel but it went together good.

I did not bother buying the air shutoff valve because $130 is nuts for a vacuum line. I cut the nylon hose off the old US one, then used the two fittings and a rubber vacuum line. Basically free. Works the same, looks fine. I point that out in one of the photos (yellow square).

Hacked a hole in the DS brake duct and plunged the OE CSL main duct hose into it. Kept working it until it fit with the snorkel above.

Wired in the MAP sensor, installed the HP DME...went to fire it up...nothing. Would not start. Would crank, catch, chug for a few moments then die. Over and over and over again. Frank Smith sent me a new tune and Terraphantm was helping me out a ton! I want to thank him so much, couldn't have done it without him!

Frank said to keep trying...well I killed my battery (about an hour of cranking)...recharged it overnight, kept it hooked to a high amp charger as i tried again the next day and finally after about 20 minutes and wanting to give up an look for another solution...it fired and idled! Crazy!!

Now it is running pretty well but not done yet. Tuning and Dyno to follow.

Enjoy the pics...did the best I could, I know they arent the best.

Coming apart

Old cams in

Close up of old cam lobes. That looks like wear but it's oil. If you wipe it, it is the same finish as the rest.

New Cams!!

New Cams in with new Lang Racing bolts

New vs old chain guide...

My Journal

Last edited by cozmo kraemer; Tue, Dec-02-2014 at 12:07:32 AM.
Old Thu, Nov-13-2014, 06:28:45 PM   #39
cozmo kraemer

United States

Old vs New belts

Main belt in...

New Cams - top view

FINALLY!!! Got an intake...

Trumpets

Bottom

Top...

As a hat...Couldn't believe my head actually fits in the intake opening!

Its in!

Free shutoff valve hose mod

So Pretty!!

Duct...yes my bumper is that rock chipped...sucks!

Art!

My Journal

Old Thu, Nov-13-2014, 06:49:51 PM   #40
cozmo kraemer

United States

In the middle of all this, I went to SEMA for the first time. Was a lot of fun. Kind of overwhelming. BMW had by far the most disappointing presence there of any manufacturer. Toyota and GM had the coolest manufacturer booths. I liked looking at the tools and detailing products the best. Sonax had a pretty cool display. Here are some pics...was a good time.

My favorite car of the show, an insane supercharged, tube frame chassis with a Camry body! Ultimate sleeper...

Toyota Supercar concept

M4 Racecar

Honda Indy engine, race engines are just so cool to me

A couple crazy Jeeps!

The only cool car in the BMW booth...

Vorsteiner 991

and I weep for our future...that is a 30" wheel with a 25 series tire!

My Journal