BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 04:50:38 AM   #41
E46_Legend

United States

So in order for an indy shop to check for cracks in the subframe mounting points, do they have to drop the rear subframe to get a thorough inspection, or is just being underneath it on a lift ( like in the OP's video) sufficient enough to find any cracks?
Jump to top E46_Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 04:51:28 AM   #42
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickaphely View Post
DEALERSHIP = FAIL !
you should have showed them the pictures you took, even better, you should have pointed it out to them.
Nah, its okay. I just needed proof that they looked at it for my own documentation purposes. It was my expectation that they wouldn't find anything. I don't want them to work on my car.

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 04:54:37 AM   #43
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_Legend View Post
So in order for an indy shop to check for cracks in the subframe mounting points, do they have to drop the rear subframe to get a thorough inspection, or is just being underneath it on a lift ( like in the OP's video) sufficient enough to find any cracks?
The BEST option is for them to drop the rear subframe, but I don't think any shop will do that, unless you pay em. This option will pretty much guarantee you will find any fractures near the subframe mount area.

The most used option is just raising the car up, getting a flashlight and looking in the subframe mount area where the cracks appear most often (as is the case with my video).

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Old Wed, Mar-10-2010, 02:59:14 PM   #44
sly1types
Bugs explode at 160MPH

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaja23 View Post
Update: Took my car to dealer just to see if they would find any issues with the subframe mount area, but they didn't find any problems. Go figure. I will be getting the TMS subframe kit installed at a local trusted indy shop within a couple of weeks.
They don't check the passenger side mounts!!! I have the exact same mount cracked and they said "we don't see the crack". Luckily I have a great service adviser and he told me this before they lowered the car.

I went to the shop and they had the drivers side mounts lowered about an inch and said can you point it out. Then I showed them the crack on the passenger side and they said that side is not covered

I looked up the class action suit and called them I think I spoke with Derrick and he said they are correct and there is not really anything I can do...

so I am getting the Turner Kit also.

This is B.S. that they are only taking care of part of the problem...great bmw quality
Old Wed, Mar-10-2010, 04:12:38 PM   #45
Wengy

In the garage:

Canada

Just so I'm perfectly clear (for when I block my car up to inspect it), for the rear portion of the car I need to be checking the subframe mounts, where the circled areas in this graphic connect (mount) to the body (sheet metal). Correct?

Ok, so this kit covers all 4 subframe mounting points circled in the first graphic.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TDR4675412

And this kit covers the mounting points for the front of the car, where Part #1 in the second graphic connects to the body.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TDR4675F99
Attached Images
File Type: png Rearaxel.png (16.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: png Front Axel.png (15.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Wengy; Wed, Mar-10-2010 at 10:28:19 PM.
Jump to top Wengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-10-2010, 05:56:33 PM   #46
zivagolee

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post
Just so I'm perfectly clear (for when I block my car up to inspect it), for the rear portion of the car I need to be checking the subframe mounts, where the circled areas in this graphic connect (mount) to the body (sheet metal). Correct?
Yup.. make sure to look for the front right one. For our cars, it seems that is the one most susceptible. Pretty damn hard to see at the same time too...
Old Wed, Mar-10-2010, 07:27:33 PM   #47
mickaphely

In the garage:

United States

the body shop guy who is doing my subframe, he said that he hasn't seen one that cracked on the front passenger side except for mine. no wonder why they never check that.
Old Sun, Mar-28-2010, 08:56:56 PM   #48
arbeltree

United States

A few months ago I too was suspecting that my rear subframe was cracked. So around late September, I brought my car to the Laurel BMW dealership and my SA informed me that my car didn't have rear subframe damage. This may have been true then, but I only put 3000 miles annually on my car.

A few weeks ago, I was still suspecting that I had rear subframe damage. Therefore I re-investigated the situation. So I scheduled an appointment with my local indy shop and with Patrick BMW out in Schaumburg, IL. When my car was up on a lift at the local indy shop, the service guy and I looked at the rear subframe and noticed the cracks. The cracks where located in the exact same location as yaja23's video shows.

After becoming aware of this, I brought my car to Patrick's BMW dealership yesterday and told my SA that I would like for them to check for the rear subframe damage. I also explained to him that I sawthe cracks at an indy shop while the car was up on the lift. I then asked my SA after they inspect my car for subframe damage, if he could show it to me while my car is up on their lift. He said absolutely.

So after waiting for about 15 minutes, my SA comes to the waiting room and asks me to follow him into the service garage. When I got there, my car was up on a lift and then I met the service manager. The service manager immediately told me that my car had rear subframe damage and that its entire rear subframe plate will need replacement. He then pointed out the damage which was at the same location as I had noticed at my local indy shop. I then said thank you for thoroughness with this matter.

My SA informed me that my car will be in the shop for several weeks. Then, they gave me a Cadillac SRX loaner car through the local enterprise dealership. Overall i'm quite impressed with Patrick's service. For all of you folks in the Chicagoland area, I would highly recommend going there for service work.

Just like Yaja23, my 01 M3 car too is fully stocked with the exception of an aftermarket exhaust. I drive it hard sometimes, but I've never tracked and rarely launch it.

I'll keep you guys informed with the status of my car's repairs.

Also note that I am now looking into getting my RTABs and RSMs replaced as my car has 58K miles, thus are due for replacement. When I mentioned this to the dealership, the Service Manager informed me that they will certainly price me out for parts and discount the labor cost for replacing both RTABs and RSMs. Based on what my local indy guy quoted me, it sounds like i'll be saving ~$500 in labor.

Last edited by arbeltree; Sun, Mar-28-2010 at 09:07:49 PM.
Jump to top arbeltree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-28-2010, 11:02:56 PM   #49
///M.EngT

United States

I hate taking my car to the dealer... Calgary BMW and the Dilwari group are absolutely horrible about service on our cars.... I'm going to take my car to Motorwerkes in Calgary as they are very trusted and wouldn't have to worry about somebody tooling around my car...
Jump to top ///M.EngT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 02:03:24 AM   #50
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeltree View Post
A few months ago I too was suspecting that my rear subframe was cracked. So around late September, I brought my car to the Laurel BMW dealership and my SA informed me that my car didn't have rear subframe damage. This may have been true then, but I only put 3000 miles annually on my car.

A few weeks ago, I was still suspecting that I had rear subframe damage. Therefore I re-investigated the situation. So I scheduled an appointment with my local indy shop and with Patrick BMW out in Schaumburg, IL. When my car was up on a lift at the local indy shop, the service guy and I looked at the rear subframe and noticed the cracks. The cracks where located in the exact same location as yaja23's video shows.

After becoming aware of this, I brought my car to Patrick's BMW dealership yesterday and told my SA that I would like for them to check for the rear subframe damage. I also explained to him that I sawthe cracks at an indy shop while the car was up on the lift. I then asked my SA after they inspect my car for subframe damage, if he could show it to me while my car is up on their lift. He said absolutely.

So after waiting for about 15 minutes, my SA comes to the waiting room and asks me to follow him into the service garage. When I got there, my car was up on a lift and then I met the service manager. The service manager immediately told me that my car had rear subframe damage and that its entire rear subframe plate will need replacement. He then pointed out the damage which was at the same location as I had noticed at my local indy shop. I then said thank you for thoroughness with this matter.

My SA informed me that my car will be in the shop for several weeks. Then, they gave me a Cadillac SRX loaner car through the local enterprise dealership. Overall i'm quite impressed with Patrick's service. For all of you folks in the Chicagoland area, I would highly recommend going there for service work.

Just like Yaja23, my 01 M3 car too is fully stocked with the exception of an aftermarket exhaust. I drive it hard sometimes, but I've never tracked and rarely launch it.

I'll keep you guys informed with the status of my car's repairs.

Also note that I am now looking into getting my RTABs and RSMs replaced as my car has 58K miles, thus are due for replacement. When I mentioned this to the dealership, the Service Manager informed me that they will certainly price me out for parts and discount the labor cost for replacing both RTABs and RSMs. Based on what my local indy guy quoted me, it sounds like i'll be saving ~$500 in labor.
I'm glad you sorted out your situation. Dealer's aren't doing their due diligence doing a good job on the subframe checks. I got my work done at an Indy shop and put on the Turner Subframe reinforcement kit. I will post up more pictures of the exact location of my subframe mount fractures soon.

Last edited by yaja23; Mon, Mar-29-2010 at 03:21:50 AM.