BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Aug-16-2015, 02:22:51 PM   #101
Tenshi

United States

Default Re: DYI: Replace VANOS Solenoid Valve on 2003 E46 M3 (Part 1...)

Thanks for this write up. My car threw up the same set of fault codes as above last weekend after months of rough idling a bit of a power loss...
Thanks to this post memory was jogged that whilst doing the obligatory cooling system overhaul earlier in the year (research if you don't know about this one, it's very important!!) I noticed that a previous owner had broken the plug socket housing on the solenoid pack, presumably while fitting new pulleys, I cable tied it, it was secure, didn't think any more about it... until I read this.
For my solution..... after removing the solenoid pack and separating off the black box I hacked my way into the casing as far as the PCB and soldiered the wiring directly to the board... 600 saved!! car now runs 100% again, just took it down a few country lanes with the sport button on and had some genuinely scary moments!!! Love it...

Oh, and by the way, that 600 box... contains about 8 worth of components in it (a very basic PCB, 4 magnets and the casing)... a lesson in the cost of development I think.. but maybe worth considering repair rather than replacement if yours goes?

Thanks again.
Jump to top Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-05-2015, 08:20:36 PM   #102
Distinct70

United States

Default Re: DYI: Replace VANOS Solenoid Pack on 2003.5 E46 M3 (Part 1...)

I have done a bunch of other fixes and just the VANOS ones remain. Any comments on whether or not solenoid will fix my issues? I think it will. When I turn the car on, the codes don't immediately start (like exhaust hub) so I think that after some driving the solenoid is the issue.

Jump to top Distinct70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-14-2016, 02:51:06 AM   #103
Feffman
Grand Poobah

United States

Default Re: DYI: Replace VANOS Solenoid Valve on 2003 E46 M3 (Part 1...)

Had a 48 code pop up at the track last weekend. Removed the VANOS solenoid and removed the coil pack. Did the cleaning of the solenoid valves with the magnets and brake cleaner, then took it to a friends shop and ran it through his parts washer for 15 minutes. Cleaned the electrical connectors with electrical contact cleaner, re-assembled and re-installed. No code.

Little victories!

Feff
Old Wed, Oct-19-2016, 01:45:12 AM   #104
Eduki

Spain

Default Re: DYI: Replace VANOS Solenoid Pack on 2003.5 E46 M3 (Part 1...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct70 View Post
I have done a bunch of other fixes and just the VANOS ones remain. Any comments on whether or not solenoid will fix my issues? I think it will. When I turn the car on, the codes don't immediately start (like exhaust hub) so I think that after some driving the solenoid is the issue.

Hi Distinct70 what happened with your codes? did you found the origin of the problem? Sounds like the solenoid coil pack to me, after replacing the seals plate i started and drove for a while... diagnosed it and had the same codes, deleted them and after a short drive i have now just the "internal fault" ones in yellow but im thinking on the solenoid pack solderings... Thinking on opening the cover by myself and fix it, this cant be rocket science i guess...
Jump to top Eduki is offline   Reply With Quote