BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:13:40 PM   #71
Volke

United States

Default Re: Breakthrough discovery about the Spal 30102082 Fan! The Most powerful sealed fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Good data point. You by chance have weight diff for spal vs aux?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Somewhere, but not on me at work.

Stock aux fan is 3.285 kg per real OEM, so 7.24 lbs. I kind of remember the spal feeling like it weighed about half as much.

... though having it as a puller instead of a pusher also helps move the weight distribution rearward, which is something I'm going after whenever possible.

My AC does go warm on a hot (90+) day when sitting in traffic. I would find it unacceptable in a daily. But, coolant temps are never alarming and the way I use the car it pretty much never sees traffic, so it's a worthwhile trade off for me.
SPAL 2082 is 2.84 kg per the specs on their website.

Which SPAL fan do you have? If it's the 2049, that one does 0 CFM at 25mmh2o. The radiator is somewhere between 12.5 and 25 mmh2o depending if you're stock or CSF/Moshi. With the condenser right in front, that static pressure would only increase. The 2049 is likely too weak to draw any air through the condenser in a puller orientation. I would imagine the 2082 would help your AC temps a bit.

Last edited by Volke; Fri, Jun-22-2018 at 08:20:47 PM.
Jump to top Volke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:16:19 PM   #72
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Breakthrough discovery about the Spal 30102082 Fan! The Most powerful sealed fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volke View Post
SPAL 2082 is 2.84 kg per the specs on their website.
So that's barely a pound of diff and not a weight reduction mod...

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:18:19 PM   #73
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

The spal replaces the aux and clutched fan.
(and the 2049 is apparently lighter than the 2082 at 2.57 kg)

And, again, should improve radiator airflow (when in motion-- e.g. on track)

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Fri, Jun-22-2018 at 08:22:04 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:19:21 PM   #74
nervous24

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
...I think for 6MT guys, you could get by without a mechanical fan or electrical fan in place...if you really wanted to (like many on here have done and are doing)...BUT if you own an SMG like I do, I'd say stick with having a fan in place. Even if it's not due to engine cooling concerns, the SMG pump is known to overheat when the car is running and not moving. Removing more airflow when the car isn't moving will only exacerbate this issue.
Not so. I ran without the clutched fan for 25k miles and many track days while my car was still SMG. No issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
The M3 will overheat in stop and go traffic with the AC on in hot humid climates without a puller fan.
Not saying everyone will have the same experience but mine never has. Its been run in 100+ degree stop and go traffic with A/C blasting numerous times in different (hot) states. Temps have always been rock solid.
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:20:31 PM   #75
Kyle90

United States

This makes sense if you use the 2082 as your only fan (delete both stock fans). You get some minor weight savings and more airflow to your radiator at speed.
Jump to top Kyle90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:24:07 PM   #76
Volke

United States

Quote:

I'm with Obioban on this. Small weight reductions add up.

And as he mentioned, the Spal replaced the aux and clutched fans. So you save whatever the weight of the mechanical fan and fan clutch is which is a few pounds.
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:30:14 PM   #77
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:
Sigh. Some variation of "not worth it for X lbs" is the response to every weight saving mod taken in isolation
No, I generally agree with you. I'm not arguing the 3# savings. By all means that is good. But moving that 3#, 6" back (puller vs pusher), is not going to change the performance of the car. To do that, at the sake of AC performance, on a street car, doesn't make sense IMO. That was what I was saying.

If moving that 3#, 6" back, does make enough difference that you notice it more than having better AC. You probably shouldn't have AC to begin with. That was my second point. Because the car is clearly NOT a street car, or AC is not needed on your street car.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:38:53 PM   #78
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
The spal replaces the aux and clutched fan.
(and the 2049 is apparently lighter than the 2082 at 2.57 kg)

And, again, should improve radiator airflow (when in motion-- e.g. on track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volke View Post
I'm with Obioban on this. Small weight reductions add up.

And as he mentioned, the Spal replaced the aux and clutched fans. So you save whatever the weight of the mechanical fan and fan clutch is which is a few pounds.
Yes, sorry, I didn't factor in that it replaces BOTH, and agree, it adds up, especially since the car is by no means a light weight to start with.

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 08:49:38 PM   #79
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous24 View Post
Not so. I ran without the clutched fan for 25k miles and many track days while my car was still SMG. No issues whatsoever.
That might be your ancedotal experience (n=1) and I fully trust that this has been the case for you, but there is no dispute that heat exposure (and especially heat-soak) has a detrimental affect of the reliability of the SMG pump (at least while in the stock location). While you might not have experienced any real-world issues running without any fan at all, it doesn't change the fact that reduced airflow (especially when stationary) is going to cause underhood temps to rise. When it comes to the SMG in the stock location and it's long term health, less cooling is only going to exacerbate the long terms issues in relation to SMG heat death. Removing the fans will not help this, but it COULD aid in hurting the SMG over the course of the long-term.

I wouldn't expect you to have issues while the car is moving (especially at speed on track)...it's when you are prolonged idling in extreme temps (or stuck in stand-still traffic during high ambient temps) that these heat related issues arise. Your SMG sounds like it was in great health and thus you didn't have a negative experience....and it very well might work out fine...But I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution. YMMV. As already mentioned, the fans are not meant for when the car is moving at speed (where airflow is a function of speed and car movement)...They are for when you are stationary.

As for weight savings. Any bit of weight savings is usually a good thing (especially in summation). At some point (especially in Obi's case) you get to the point in your build where you no longer have large areas to save weight. It's the little things that all add up which end up making the largest impact. That being said, weight-savings isn't the primary reason to do a modification like this. If anything, it's an added bonus that comes extra to the cooling benefits, without any negative associated with the slightly decreased weight. Win-win.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Jun-22-2018 at 08:54:11 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-28-2018, 06:37:48 AM   #80
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
I have just never experienced this. I have been in traffic stopped for extended periods at 105+ degrees and been fine. But I guess as always YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post
What climates are you speaking of? I have seen several posters state that they had no problems in hot climates. I removed my fan when I bought the car and have been in Atlanta traffic and the Southeast with no issues. It gets hot and humid here, but perhaps it isn't Nevada hot?
From experience, had a track event at Barber with removed puller fan, from there decided to go to Destin, FL for a couple of days as i was stuck in stop and go traffic with the AC on the water temp started to rise "FYI I had only water and water wetter" once i started moving temps went down. It was about 100+ degrees and humid.

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is online now   Reply With Quote