BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 06:26:48 PM   #41
daveishi

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Breakthrough discovery about the Spal 30102082 Fan! The Most powerful sealed fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Iíve got a SPAL fan on my CSF radiator. Not sure if itís the same exact model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback! How long have you been running it? My understanding is most people have historically run the two other options the OP mentioned due to their slim form factor so it would likely be one of those, but how much clearance do you have? If it's more than 1/2 in I think this one should also work
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 06:38:09 PM   #42
nervous24

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Breakthrough discovery about the Spal 30102082 Fan! The Most powerful sealed fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Good to know. Thanks. Mechanical fan delete WITHOUT an electric fan replacement sounds like works even in hot weather for street driven cars, leaving ac condenser/aux fan in place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Same setup and usage as Cozmo Kraemer here. Just took a road trip and spent plenty of time in 90/100+ temps and A/C on in traffic . No issues. I've gotten hot at the track once or twice as well but other E46's had the same issues.
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 06:38:31 PM   #43
Radekxpl

In the garage:

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveishi View Post
Thanks for the feedback! How long have you been running it? My understanding is most people have historically run the two other options the OP mentioned due to their slim form factor so it would likely be one of those, but how much clearance do you have? If it's more than 1/2 in I think this one should also work
Based on my experience with 2049 the motor of the 2082 fan is placed little bit higher than 2049 fan because it uses thicker bigger different design shroud. Even though the fan it self is thicker than 2049 the actual motor is placed slightly above ac belts giving it extra clearance. It hard to measure distance in there but I would say it is at least 10-12mm which is about 1/2 inch. Again my experience is based on OEM radiator and using N15 desgin fan mounts
Mod list: TTFS Custom Tune, Headers Sec 1 AR20, M-Track Mode programmed, IAT relocated, Upadted cam bolts with S62 pressure springs and diaphragm, sub-frame reinforced foam/epoxy Vince bar & plates, 996 Brembo brakes PFC 08 pads, CDV delete, F10 M5 shift knob, CSL diffuser, black chrome grillies, smoked corners tinted windows, asymmetrical mirrors, Hardwired Bell Pro 300, D/A pulleys, AVANT-II, Dinan CAI, SDW RTAB, TCkline 500/600 GC Weight Jacks, GC Street Camber Plates, Beisan Oil Pump Disk, ECS camber arms, N15 SPAL 2082 fan, Micro-blue rod bearings, ZHP .712 Yellow tag rack.

Last edited by Radekxpl; Thu, Jun-21-2018 at 07:19:19 PM.
Jump to top Radekxpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 07:02:49 PM   #44
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous24 View Post
Same setup and usage as Cozmo Kraemer here. Just took a road trip and spent plenty of time in 90/100+ temps and A/C on in traffic . No issues. I've gotten hot at the track once or twice as well but other E46's had the same issues.
So this is a bit bizarre to me though, thinking about it. This is saying the mechanical fan with shroud or any of the electric puller fans with/without shrouds do absolutely nothing for cooling and the aux fan is all that is needed. I wonder if it goes back to the conversation about static pressures and drag. Mechanical fans at idle in traffic just spin at say 1k rpm, they don't speed up if temp rises (you don't start revving the engine as temp climbs, I know the viscous clutch grabs harder, but still). Electric fans on the other hand (some with controllers) can have variable temp kickoff setting and speeds. So the mechanical fan doesn't provide much cooling benefit and might just be obstructing airflow post radiator in the engine compartment? Electric fans, not sure about here either. I'm sure if we ran controlled experiments, mechanical fan and electric conversions would benefit and show lower temps, but by how much? Few degrees? Or it really just ends up being a case of having the aux fan draw max current for longer and it can keep up even in ambient of up to 1xx degrees, vs cycling on/off with help of mechanical or other electric conversions?

Anyone look into this?

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal

Last edited by mrgizmo04; Thu, Jun-21-2018 at 07:07:31 PM.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 08:45:34 PM   #45
cozmo kraemer

United States

Another thing with the clutch fan, is when the clutch goes bad it causes the car to overheat. I couldn't get a clutch in time, so I just pulled it and the shroud out of the car and drove it (out of necessity) no more overheating. This is in Phoenix in the summer. Since it didn't seem like it did anything. I just left it off. No issues. I would think Phoenix would be as big a test as anywhere in the US. That was over 6 years ago. Never an issue since. There are many many folks on the forum that don't run it. Most of the local track guys didn't have theirs when I was out there either.

I am really not sure why BMW put it in there. It causes parasitic drag, puts a lot more stress on the water pump bearings, and doesn't have much utility. Maybe it helps AC temps on super hot days? I couldn't tell a difference. Or provides some redundancy to an aux electric fan failure? IDK

It is a free and completely reversible mod though, if anyone is skeptical.

Only caveat is you do have to have a healthy aux fan. If that isn't good, you definitely will be in trouble when you aren't moving.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 09:15:07 PM   #46
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks. Mechanical fan delete WITHOUT an electric fan replacement sounds like works even in hot weather for street driven cars, leaving ac condenser/aux fan in place...

A good friend of mine has been running his current M3 (as well as his previous) without a mechanical fan or an electrical fan replacement. He only has the stock aux fan. He has been running his car this was for years in SC (our summers get HOTTT) and he has not had any issues.

I briefly ran my car this way as well over the winter, but have since replaced it since the weather has warmed up, simply for the peace of mind as a DD.

That being said, even with my mechanical fan in place I noticed that it gets really hot in the engine way (to the touch). My CSL Airbox was even hot to touch. Oil and water temps are fine (in the middle), but It made me curious considering the proximity of the IAT to the engine and how hot everything was to the tough (heat soak).

I think for 6MT guys, you could get by without a mechanical fan or electrical fan in place...if you really wanted to (like many on here have done and are doing)...BUT if you own an SMG like I do, I'd say stick with having a fan in place. Even if it's not due to engine cooling concerns, the SMG pump is known to overheat when the car is running and not moving. Removing more airflow when the car isn't moving will only exacerbate this issue.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 09:19:24 PM   #47
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
A good friend of mine has been running his current M3 (as well as his previous) without a mechanical fan or an electrical fan replacement. He only has the stock aux fan. He has been running his car this was for years in SC (our summers get HOTTT) and he has not had any issues.

I briefly ran my car this way as well over the winter, but have since replaced it since the weather has warmed up, simply for the peace of mind as a DD.

That being said, even with my mechanical fan in place I noticed that it gets really hot in the engine way (to the touch). My CSL Airbox was even hot to touch. Oil and water temps are fine (in the middle), but It made me curious considering the proximity of the IAT to the engine and how hot everything was to the tough (heat soak).

I think for 6MT guys, you could get by without a mechanical fan or electrical fan in place...if you really wanted to (like many on here have done and are doing)...BUT if you own an SMG like I do, I'd say stick with having a fan in place. Even if it's not due to engine cooling concerns, the SMG pump is known to overheat when the car is running and not moving. Removing more airflow when the car isn't moving will only exacerbate this issue.
One thing that can also help is not running the cabin airfilter box. It will let hot air escape, especially when the car is moving, in through radiators and out through that area. Not a good idea in rainy climate...

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 09:39:14 PM   #48
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
One thing that can also help is not running the cabin airfilter box. It will let hot air escape, especially when the car is moving, in through radiators and out through that area. Not a good idea in rainy climate...

Stash1 seemed to have a good solution to this. If I remember correctly, he used a hole saw to drill holes in clever places to both aid in heat venting and preventing rain from entering. I should see if I can dig that back up...It might have been in one of my threads (hood thread), if I remember correctly. Great Idea though...I forgot all about this.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-21-2018, 11:22:55 PM   #49
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Default Breakthrough discovery about the Spal 30102082 Fan! The Most powerful sealed fan

Quote:

I have to agree with this theory. I've done a few things to try and keep my engine bay temps down because of the SMG pump. I installed ceramic coated catless headers, vented cf hood and an electric fan inside the stock fan shroud. We see summer temps from 110-125 out here in Las Vegas. So far the M3 has survived two summers of daily driving with NO issues. Not sure if it would of running just the Aux Fan thou.

The only draw back to running two electric fans is on 115+ days I'm seeing coolant temps around 210 which I didn't with the Mechanical Fan. This is while driving and not in stop and go traffic. I was thinking about upgrading my Mishi Fan to the Spal 2049 and removing the Aux Fan. I'm currently running the Mishi Fan off a PWM control and it doesn't turn off the fan at freeway speeds like the Aux Fan control does. After reading about the Spal 2082 I'm really considering going this route.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Thu, Jun-21-2018 at 11:27:31 PM.
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 12:06:48 AM   #50
nuc1
Meh

United States

Quote:
Stash1 seemed to have a good solution to this. If I remember correctly, he used a hole saw to drill holes in clever places to both aid in heat venting and preventing rain from entering. I should see if I can dig that back up...It might have been in one of my threads (hood thread), if I remember correctly. Great Idea though...I forgot all about this.
Fairly certain the area around the cabin air filter and anywhere near the bottom of the windscreen is a high pressure area at speed. Which is why most vented hoods have the vents closer to the front of the car.

May help when the car is sitting still though.

Went through this with my e36 track car a few years ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike

18 Acura MDX White/Black Family Truckster

11 Tundra Super White/Black Actual Truckster
Jump to top nuc1 is online now   Reply With Quote