BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jun-23-2018, 01:52:50 PM   #11
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Parts to correct the loss of droop travel when using Ohlins R&Ts with camber plat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
You say "(though I'd never use them if my M3 was still a DD" and also
"-they're remarkably civil for street use, so they don't ruin it as a street car. Not as compliant as my TCKs were on the granular stuff, but still better than stock. Because of the DFV, on larger potholes/etc, they ride better than the TCKs or stock".

I know these statements don't necessarily conflict, but can you add details to not wanting for DD use (I don't even do 6000 miles a year and driving to work is 13 miles to airport on Mon, then back Thursday, else I work at home), and the "granular" statement - what you mean by that?
I do like to take the car on 100-200 pleasure trips, in fact that's most the miles I put in it. For me, I don't want excessive busy-ness when I have to go through towns with sub-par roads (everywhere these days it seems), but my largest concern is my wife has back trouble.
My gut is on deep potholes, you'll never have enough bump when you hit the far side and a lack of droop ... may help, less distance to move back up when you hit the far lip of a deep hole. She complains about expansion joints that are nothing to most people - mostly I believe she just tenses up on these, but bad potholes cause pain.
Like many of us, my M3 is increasingly moving to cars and coffee and track days.
What appeared to be the best thing I've driven was a friends 2005 on JRZ remote cans to bimmerworld's spec, think springs were around 700. I DON'T want to lose my fillings, car will always be more street driven, but in a short drive, it seemed better than mine (dinan springs/konis-but I question if they're dinan-valved konis). I don't care about the cost. But I don't want to do an overly complex system if the Ohlins would work as well for my needs.
If I got 2 way remote JRZs, I'd find a track and street setting (mostly based on my buddy's setup) and wouldn't mess with them; skill isn't high enough to be more precise.

any recommendation between these alternatives?

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
The rebuild interval is super short for the performance benefits that aren't really realized on the street.
Yep, short , expensive rebuild intervals would be the reason why. Though, that's also true of all high end shocks (e.g. JRZs)

If ride quality is the primary concern, while still being able to track the car, I don't think softly sprung TCKs at a higher ride height (as in, close to stock) can be beat. If you did a 300/400 setup, ride quality would be quite nice over everything, including large pot holes (more bump travel than stock), and still be awesome on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I know they won't necessarily give a spec on it, but I imagine the rebuild interval could be extended if the car primarily lives on the street.
Idk-- street has a lot more grime, bumps, salt, and pot holes. Tracking is mostly heat.

It's really the seals that wear out, so the question becomes which is harder on them-- heat or dirt.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-23-2018, 06:47:38 PM   #12
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Default Re: Parts to correct the loss of droop travel when using Ohlins R&Ts with camber plat

You totally can DD Ohlins. There are very few circumstances in which they're not shockingly comfortable, especially given how competent they can be when pushed.

But as they mention... if you DD a lot of miles, you're looking at a much higher cost. I've gotten lucky... before I got my wagon, I did DD on my Ohlins for quite a while. But I work at home and confine myself mostly to my neighborhood these days, plus my local roads are good, so I didn't put many miles (or challenging miles) on them. If your locale would require that of you, then Ian is again very right that the TCKs with softer springs would be your best bet. I never loved my TCK camber plates but those shocks were amazing and compliant over years and years and probably 80k miles of rougher roads and DD use. Which is why even as a huge fan of my Ohlins, I'll still be going back to a TCK setup when I have the liquid cash to do all the changes I have lined up for all of my cars. (Which include putting revalved Ohlins on the coupe whose duties will closely mirror Ian's uses for his.) It's really a pretty perfect setup for most purposes.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-23-2018, 07:55:58 PM   #13
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

What is the actual rebuild interval?
Old Sat, Jun-23-2018, 08:12:16 PM   #14
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
What is the actual rebuild interval?
25k, but I'll be using them until the ride quality and handling starts to deteriorate, maybe around 50-75k. My friend probably has about 30-40k on them and damping is still good. I'm sure a shock Dyno would give a better evaluation of condition. Curious if Ohlins did an endurance test before they stated the 25k rebuild.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-23-2018, 08:15:48 PM   #15
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Hmm, yeah 25k is a bit much. I could probably live with 50k.
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 11:27:38 AM   #16
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Hmm, yeah 25k is a bit much. I could probably live with 50k.
Yeah... unfortunately the rebuild interval is like that for all the high end shocks. Pretty well invalidates then for DD use for me.

Also annoying because it makes me not want to take the M3 on road trips, etc.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 01:32:02 PM   #17
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Also annoying because it makes me not want to take the M3 on road trips, etc.
Shit suspension like my PSS10s also makes me not want to take my M3 on road trips lol
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 04:00:52 PM   #18
11b4

United States

Quote:
Shit suspension like my PSS10s also makes me not want to take my M3 on road trips lol
Are they that bad? I was just looking at buying a new set this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jump to top 11b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 04:26:22 PM   #19
djjvr
OEM+

In the garage:

Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
25k, but I'll be using them until the ride quality and handling starts to deteriorate, maybe around 50-75k. My friend probably has about 30-40k on them and damping is still good. I'm sure a shock Dyno would give a better evaluation of condition. Curious if Ohlins did an endurance test before they stated the 25k rebuild.
I've loved my Öhlins. I'm probably sitting at the same 30k-40k marker and they seem to perform just as well as my friends car with 10k on them. Granted, most of my mileage is freeway.

Anyway, good to know about these spacers as I'm considering swapping to the TMS hybrid plates pretty soon.

Build Journal Instagram
Jump to top djjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 04:59:00 PM   #20
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b4 View Post
Are they that bad? I was just looking at buying a new set this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
To be honest mine are probably old enough that they could use a rebuild, but they're significantly stiffer than stock even at the lowest setting, and I'm not convinced there's an actual handling benefit to go with it.