BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 02:09:40 AM   #1
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Red face No gas pedal after CSL Airboxes conversion. EML light.

Running out of ideas and hoping there is a clear solution.

CSL Airbox is installed and wired correctly, based on this

I also replaced the fuel pump relay as mentioned by M3dragon in his DIY thread, but reverted back to the US-spec fuel pump relay wiring as that made no-difference (and as per Terra's suggestion).

When I start the car, I have zero gas pedal and an EML + DSC light. No clue what the issue is. Wiring all appears correct. Checked more times than I'd like to admit (and with a voltmeter for each pin wired). When I turn the car on, it idles just fine. Press the gas pedal and nothing happens. No change in RPM. Nothing. But, I do smell gas, so it's getting fuel. Please help. Sorry for the poor formatting, I’m on mobile as their is no internet in the shop space my car is occupying. I hate cars right now lol.

EDIT: INPA logs down in a below comment on this page.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Mar-29-2018 at 07:33:42 AM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 02:11:23 AM   #2
Coinage
CoynePerformance

In the garage:

United States

Default No gas pedal after CSL Airboxes conversion. EML light.

Codes?

Same problem with original non csl software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jump to top Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 02:13:51 AM   #3
Coinage
CoynePerformance

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: No gas pedal after CSL Airboxes conversion. EML light.

Easy fix would be that it needs plugged in

Jump to top Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 02:48:59 AM   #4
t3ddftw

In the garage:

United States

Do you have INPA? That will tell you why it’s in limp mode. Sounds like limp mode number 3 which IIRC is the one that only allows the ICV to open.

Mods
Engine: Full Beisan Systems VANOS rebuild
Transmission: CDV Delete
Exterior: Smoked Corners | Black Side & Kidney Grills | Painted Reflectors

My Build/OCD thread
Jump to top t3ddftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 02:50:23 AM   #5
95bullet

Canada

Hose clamps blocking throttle bodies?
Jump to top 95bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 04:16:55 AM   #6
nextelbuddy1

United States

Did you check the rod that connects the throttle actuator to the throttle bodies?

One time my rod was worn out and popped off and it caused an EML light with no throttle response.
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 04:17:25 AM   #7
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Codes?

Same problem with original non csl software?

Car ran perfectly fine before the conversion on the non-CSL converted stock HP DME. I sent my DME off for conversion prior to installing the airbox parts. I don't think its an issue with the DME, but I will try to check tomorrow. My buddy sent his DME along with mine and his car runs fine (without a MAP, IAT, MAF, ect...)...Mine on the other hand has the flap motor, flap position sensor, IAT, and OE MAP all wired up and has zero throttle. I am going to try my DME in his car and see if his has the same issue. That should help narrow it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
Do you have INPA? That will tell you why it’s in limp mode. Sounds like limp mode number 3 which IIRC is the one that only allows the ICV to open.
Yea I have INPA setup (thanks Terra) and ran the codes. I will upload those pictures shortly. I sent them off to Terra as well. Here is what he said after looking at the INPA logs "Okay, so I think the root cause is that “Sensorversorgung 2 Master” -- it should be 5V and it’s being pulled down to 4.5 - doesn’t sound like much, but that’s enough to screw things up. There’s a short circuit to ground somewhere. I would triple check that you got the wiring correct. Otherwise it is possible there’s an internal short to the DME. I had once accidentally shorted one of the capacitors to the ground plane and caused a similar problem - tiny solder ball that I didn’t notice until closer inspection
Also for the fuel pump relay error - I don’t think it’s related to your main problem, but it might be worth just putting the US relay/wiring back. It works fine with the CSL software (that’s how my car is setup)"
Honestly, I am not even sure that it's in "limp mode". By no gas pedal, I mean that if I press the gas pedal down (as far as it goes), nothing happens. No increase in RPM, nothing. It's like its not even registering that it's being pressed. It's getting fuel though -- I can smell it. Idle is smooth. Normally with Limp mode, you have a little power to get you home. This gives me nothing. I will upload the INPA logs though when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bullet View Post
Hose clamps blocking throttle bodies?
I used BMW's "improved" hose clamps, the ones that screw closed vs needing to be clipped together. I don't think that could be the issue. They are around the rubber boots so I am not sure how they could impact the throttle bodies being able to open and close. The codes were all related to throttle position.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Mar-29-2018 at 04:22:23 AM.
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 04:25:05 AM   #8
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

INPA Logs:

Also, for the sake of being thorough since Terra mentioned it, here are some before and after pictures of both my DME and my buddy's DME (I'm not sure which is which in the photos, we sent ours together):

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Mar-29-2018 at 07:34:28 AM.
Old Thu, Mar-29-2018, 07:40:07 AM   #9
paulclaude

Scotland

Alright Leighton,

For me, the fault that stands out there is code 59, which translates to 'voltage supply sensors 2'. The other faults are mainly on your EGAS/TPS system, which will be tied into that voltage supply.

Pretty sure you're going to find a wiring fault/connection issue somewhere. Is the MAP sensor wired in correctly? You also have 223 which is the map sensor fault code. I saw a similar fault recently where someone mis-wired the MAP sensor (put +5V to ground) which dragged the +5V line down and caused a load of issues with his throttle actuator/limp mode. Try unplugging the MAP sensor/flap etc. one by one to see if any of those are the culprit.

Another thing i've seen before, is the +5V pin has 'pushed' out of the DME connector during the install - certainly worth checking.
2005 E46 M3 Track - DIY Tuned - SSV2/BW 3.5" Single Exit - Schrick 288/280 - AEM Infinity - Karbonius CSL Intake - Nitron NTR R3 - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - Alcon 365/345mm F&R BBK - Corbeau Buckets - Sabelt Harnesses - SD Half Cage - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter - Seibon CSL Carbon Boot - GSR Carbon Wings

Last edited by paulclaude; Thu, Mar-29-2018 at 07:44:43 AM.
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-30-2018, 02:10:14 AM   #10
95///M3

Are you getting a throttle self test upon initially turning key to position 2? Are you using the OE style clamps or worm style?
Jump to top 95///M3 is online now   Reply With Quote