BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 05:37:12 PM   #1
motorsports_3

In the garage:

United States

Default M50 Manifold Swap TB gasket question

Sorry if im beating a dead horse, but I have literally been searching for hours and have no been able to find something concrete. Either the links are broken, or the pictures are down.

I am about to cut out a TB adaptor plate for the upcoming M50 manifold swap, and I have the manifold here to take measurements. My manifold had the TB already attached to it, so I have the stock gasket that comes with it (looks like a black Livestrong bracelet)

My stock s52 gasket is a thin orange rubber one that looks similar to the runner gaskets.

I would think that the s52 TB should seal to the adaptor plate, and the adaptor plate should seal to the m50 manifold with the livestrong seal.

My two concerns, are most write ups i read say you need tow of the livestrong seals, but how would that work on the TB to adaptor plate side.
And the OEM m50 seal (livestrong) is much larger than the indent (since both the manifold and TB have that channel) Should I cut it down a little bit?

Thanks!
Jump to top motorsports_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 05:41:59 PM   #2
Mindart

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: M50 Manifold Swap TB gasket question

you are going to run two orange seals... one on the TB and one in the M50 manifold. You'll sandwich the metal plate in between the two

does that make sense?

I have an extra manifold adapter plate in my garage somewhere ... do you need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsports_3 View Post
Sorry if im beating a dead horse, but I have literally been searching for hours and have no been able to find something concrete. Either the links are broken, or the pictures are down.

I am about to cut out a TB adaptor plate for the upcoming M50 manifold swap, and I have the manifold here to take measurements. My manifold had the TB already attached to it, so I have the stock gasket that comes with it (looks like a black Livestrong bracelet)

My stock s52 gasket is a thin orange rubber one that looks similar to the runner gaskets.

I would think that the s52 TB should seal to the adaptor plate, and the adaptor plate should seal to the m50 manifold with the livestrong seal.

My two concerns, are most write ups i read say you need tow of the livestrong seals, but how would that work on the TB to adaptor plate side.
And the OEM m50 seal (livestrong) is much larger than the indent (since both the manifold and TB have that channel) Should I cut it down a little bit?

Thanks!
Jump to top Mindart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 06:04:15 PM   #3
bluptgm3

United States

Do you have an adaptor kit or will you be kluging together hoses, and elbows with hose clamps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bluptgm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 06:35:16 PM   #4
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

I found this job to be a PITA to do right. A lot of stuff around the manifold has to be touched. Not as easy as just dropping in the M50 manifold and bolting up the TB. I used the Turner adapter plate.
You can see some pics here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=124
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 07:30:30 PM   #5
motorsports_3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I found this job to be a PITA to do right. A lot of stuff around the manifold has to be touched. Not as easy as just dropping in the M50 manifold and bolting up the TB. I used the Turner adapter plate.
You can see some pics here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=124
Thanks for the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
Do you have an adaptor kit or will you be kluging together hoses, and elbows with hose clamps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am planning to build my own kit. I doesn't look too complicated. I just need to make that one pipe.

I haven't figured out the IAC sensors yet. It seems people just mount it in the intake tube, or rethread it, but I want to do something cleaner so ill cross that bridge when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindart View Post
you are going to run two orange seals... one on the TB and one in the M50 manifold. You'll sandwich the metal plate in between the two

does that make sense?

I have an extra manifold adapter plate in my garage somewhere ... do you need one?
That makes sense, I just didn't know how deep the orange seal is, because the black M50 one is about 18mm, while the channel in the manifold is approx 12mm.

I'm going to buy a new seal, but in theory couldn't you just cut down the m50 seal?

How much do you want for the adaptor plate?

I was thinking of just making my own out of aluminum since we have a CNC plasma machine at my shop. It seems simple a 72mm center circle, and the bolt holes approx 80x60mm
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 09:39:53 PM   #6
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

You know you can buy a single seal from M50manifold.com that mates the TB and manifold together without the need for an adapter plate?
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 09:45:38 PM   #7
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

I'd probably use this if I were to do it again. I suspect less fitment issues without the thick adapter plate. Just a feeling ...

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...d-Adaptor-Hose
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Silicone-Hose
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 09:54:34 PM   #8
Mindart

In the garage:

United States

I'd say M50manifold.com is the way to go , if i were to do it again

I did the Turner kit, it's nice but moves everything down and its already cramped working in there etc...

and from what I hear his instructions are second to none.... Turners doesn't FULLY tell you everything you'll run into

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I'd probably use this if I were to do it again. I suspect less fitment issues without the thick adapter plate. Just a feeling ...

whatever you do , run a catch can or use the CCV .... when i bought my car the guy that did the conversion before me ran the crank case tube to atmosphere.... which created a freaking mess! I re-did the whole conversion properly

While you are at it do your heater core hoses too if they are hard and aged... they'll fail eventually

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...d-Adaptor-Hose
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Silicone-Hose
Jump to top Mindart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2018, 11:06:29 PM   #9
motorsports_3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
You know you can buy a single seal from M50manifold.com that mates the TB and manifold together without the need for an adapter plate?
Thanks! I just sent him an email to see pricing.
Old Wed, Jul-04-2018, 02:33:24 PM   #10
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsports_3 View Post
Thanks! I just sent him an email to see pricing.
For the kit? Pricing and ordering widget are on the site.