BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-19-2018, 11:37:14 PM   #1
Analog///M

United States

Default Pre Purchase inspection

PPI is being performed on 04 M3. The seller has referred me to highly regarded inspector of older bmw models closer to him. I opted to go with the BMW Dealership about 1.5hr away car is being flatbeded in the morning.

What should I have the dealer look into? I want to make sure the trouble areas will be check ( icurrent located across the country from where the cars is out state buy).
It may be silly of me but I'm not sure how familiar they are with a 13yr old car..

New to this M3 world so pointers are helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Analog///M; Wed, Jun-20-2018 at 12:33:16 AM.
Jump to top Analog///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-19-2018, 11:49:56 PM   #2
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Per Purchase inspection

Everything you need to know, right here.

...Also, not sure if english is your native language (I am going to assume not), but you might want to proof read your posts. The grammer and punctuation in that first line is pretty headache-inducing to read.

My biggest pointer: Google is your friend. Read...Read some more, keep reading, and when you think you have read enough, read more. Everything you could want to know about this car when it comes to familiarizing yourself with this platform prior to purchasing has already been asked and documented. You just have to search/google.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Supersprint LW Race Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Jun-20-2018 at 12:00:19 AM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 12:28:32 AM   #3
Analog///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Everything you need to know, right here.

...Also, not sure if english is your native language (I am going to assume not), but you might want to proof read your posts. The grammer and punctuation in that first line is pretty headache-inducing to read.

My biggest pointer: Google is your friend. Read...Read some more, keep reading, and when you think you have read enough, read more. Everything you could want to know about this car when it comes to familiarizing yourself with this platform prior to purchasing has already been asked and documented. You just have to search/google.
Sorry for the horrible grammar.(proof reading is my friend I need to remember this. Sometimes I get to excited and rush(she say's that too...)
Thanks for the link

BTW what a beautiful car that color is so rich..
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 12:32:05 AM   #4
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog///M View Post
Sorry for the horrible grammar.(proof reading is my friend I need to remember this. Sometimes I get to excited and rush(she say's that too...)
Thanks for the link

BTW what a beautiful car that color is so rich..
No worries mate. I hope I didn't come across too harsh. Welcome to the forum and happy M3 hunting. There is a lot to "learn" with this car, but what's so great about this platform is you have more than a decade worth of information at your disposal.

My go to search terms on Google normally include something along the lines of: "M3forum: fill in the blank with what you are searching for" or "E46 M3: fill in the blank with what you are searching for" and that usually turns up more information than you could ever need about the subject you are researching.

The general advice when it comes to PPIs, go to a reputable independent shop that specializes in this platform, rather than to a BMW dealer. The reality is that this platform is more than 15 years old. Likely, most (if not all) of the mechanics/techs at the BMW dealership began training and working in their field after this car's production ended. While I am sure they have qualified techs working at the dealership, the majority of their training and experience will likely be on the more modern BMWs that they see day-in and day-out. Personally, I'd rather an independent shop that specializes in this platform perform the PPI, you will likely get a more thorough PPI as a result.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Supersprint LW Race Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, ...and more to come!

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Jun-20-2018 at 12:38:32 AM.
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 12:57:01 AM   #5
lmtfi

United States

Never use a dealership.
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 02:36:29 AM   #6
Analog///M

United States

Why? Will they just give the car clean bill of health without a proper look
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 02:53:44 AM   #7
RedOctober330

United States

I used a local dealership Iíve worked with before and had great luck. Service guy is an enthusiast (has an M Coupe with 7,000 miles on it and a 2018 M3), and let me go back into the service area to go through the car. We looked and ran through the engine, the underneath, ran it through the computer, etc. Not EVERY dealership is a rip-off or a bad idea and not every Indy specializes in the e46. Frankly Iím not sure any of the indys I have locally wouldíve done a better job.

One M3 to rule them all...
Jump to top RedOctober330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 04:10:12 AM   #8
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog///M View Post
Why? Will they just give the car clean bill of health without a proper look

Yes. Most DGAS, barely look at the car - and when an issue arises - tell you to FOAD.
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 04:30:21 AM   #9
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

pm me what i have to purchase to get a inspection.
Jump to top Jaredomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 04:50:18 AM   #10
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
pm me what i have to purchase to get a inspection.
...Lol, what?

You purchase the inspection (from a reputable shop that is familiar with the car). That's it in terms of what you have to purchase -- just the PPI itself. Generally you do this BEFORE you buy the car, so you know mechanically what needs to be addressed. Hence why it's called a 'Pre-Purchase' inspection.

Additionally, there are 'Inspection 1' and 'Inspection 2' service intervals that can be purchase to have performed on your car, if need be. You can search the forum for a sticky that includes all the items on those inspection intervals.

Jared, welcome to the forum...Been seeing a lot of recent activity from you by way of posts. Might I suggest slowing down and taking the time to read. Read some more, and when you think you have read it all....continue to keep reading. I know you have mentioned doing a lot of research (I believe in your build journal), but man...your threads and posts are all over the place... Slow down and take the time to learn this platform, mate.