BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 09:53:32 PM   #41
angelr

United States

Default Re: Megan Racing Headers

I've put over 140k on 2 sets of "ebay" headers, Top Speeds specifically. First set was 80 shipped and the second 280. No fitment issues, no leaks, improved tq and very cost effective. I may end up moving to american racing eventually since there's actually a gain to be had.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 09:53:59 PM   #42
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
I do have the muffler from megan, they sound great. Even BMW guys from the fun drive we had a month ago said the exhaust sounded awesome and these guys owns 700hp m6's and whatnot..

I've owned the exhaust for about 6months now I think and so far no signs of corrosion. almost perfect fitment as the muffler place I had it installed said "its the best aftermarket bmw muffler he had installed yet, almost perfect fitment just a little adjustment and it lines up nice".

The company is based in CA, production not sure. But so far if the time they put in the quality and design in this headers is the same as their mufflers I think its gonna be a great alternative to euro headers since it'll be cheaper. heck maybe if the fitment on these and power output equals or betters the euro's then that should put the price lower a bit for the rest of the competition.
With all due respect, a muffler fitting and headers fitting are two very different things. Not to say that these won't fit or that they can't be made to fit.

They look like cheap Chinese made euro-copy cat headers just like nearly every other header. Whether the company is based in Cali or not, these are in no way 'American Made' if that is what you were getting at when saying they are based on CA. What am I missing and how is this different from any other 'eBay' header? I am not sure what "time they put in the quality and design" you are referring to. It doesn't look like any time was put into the design...Looks like BMW put that time in and 'Megan' just copied it for as cheaply as they could mass produce it. Isn't 'Megan Racing' the popular Honda eBay parts 'manufacturer', or am I getting confused with another brand with a similar name?

I can't speak on how their mufflers sound, but if it's anything like "Manzo"...it's ear splitting and horrendous. That's the only "ebay" supplier that I have heard in person....and at least with "Manzo" none of the E46 M3 owners I know, other than the owner of the muffler himself, was convinced it was anything other than a cheap 'ricer-esque' muffler.

Tread carefully. You get what you pay for....and for a 100-150 more, you can get real authentic, proven BMW Euro headers. I guess I don't understand the appeal -- which is fine. If you buy these, best of luck.

Mods: Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 10:14:55 PM   #43
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

They told you your car sounded good cause they're nice guys.

This would have been me:

Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm · BMW Motorsport 4.10 · Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · TMS Camber & Subf plates · RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · ZHP knob + UUC DSSR · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 376/440) + tall RSMs · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs · Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm Textar · Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 10:27:39 PM   #44
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
With all due respect, a muffler fitting and headers fitting are two very different things. Not to say that these won't fit or that they can't be made to fit.

They look like cheap Chinese made euro-copy cat headers just like nearly every other header. Whether the company is based in Cali or not, these are in no way 'American Made' if that is what you were getting at when saying they are based on CA. What am I missing and how is this different from any other 'eBay' header? I am not sure what "time they put in the quality and design" you are referring to. It doesn't look like any time was put into the design...Looks like BMW put that time in and 'Megan' just copied it for as cheaply as they could mass produce it. Isn't 'Megan Racing' the popular Honda eBay parts 'manufacturer', or am I getting confused with another brand with a similar name?

I can't speak on how their mufflers sound, but if it's anything like "Manzo"...it's ear splitting and horrendous. That's the only "ebay" supplier that I have heard in person....and at least with "Manzo" none of the E46 M3 owners I know, other than the owner of the muffler himself, was convinced it was anything other than a cheap 'ricer-esque' muffler.

Tread carefully. You get what you pay for....and for a 100-150 more, you can get real authentic, proven BMW Euro headers. I guess I don't understand the appeal -- which is fine. If you buy these, best of luck.
There are *lots* of the same Chinese/ eBay headers out there. I, for one, am excited that there's a US company that supports them to some degree in addition to being dirt cheap.

Before these it was (in my perception)
For a 15hp bump..
eBay - $150-300, hit or miss, no support
Fabspeed, AP, MS, SG, etc. - ~$800 for the same header design made at the same Chinese factory, but there's an American company supporting them

Active Autowerke - $900 for copies of CSL headers made in China, but again sold and supported in the US

Euro headers - $1,000 new, factory fitment, but you have to adapt the bungs, etc.

Supersprint V2/ non-stepped - $1,200(ish), superb fitment, and what everyone copies anyway

(And a few more making good headers for the $1,200 ballpark like CPI)

For a 20-30hp bump...
Supersprint V1 stepped - $2,000 not including the connecting pipe
Epic - same as above

...And now there's Megan racing, making what looks identical to what Active Autowerke is doing, but for $300 rather than $900. Is it going to be hit or miss, just like Megan racing's other stuff? Probably - but at least there's someone in the states that you can get a hold of and will (hopefully) support you
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 10:41:38 PM   #45
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
There are *lots* of the same Chinese/ eBay headers out there. I, for one, am excited that there's a US company that supports them to some degree in addition to being dirt cheap.

Before these it was (in my perception)
For a 15hp bump..
eBay - $150-300, hit or miss, no support
Fabspeed, AP, MS, SG, etc. - ~$800 for the same header design made at the same Chinese factory, but there's an American company supporting them

Active Autowerke - $900 for copies of CSL headers made in China, but again sold and supported in the US

Euro headers - $1,000 new, factory fitment, but you have to adapt the bungs, etc.

Supersprint V2/ non-stepped - $1,200(ish), superb fitment, and what everyone copies anyway

(And a few more making good headers for the $1,200 ballpark like CPI)

For a 20-30hp bump...
Supersprint V1 stepped - $2,000 not including the connecting pipe
Epic - same as above

...And now there's Megan racing, making what looks identical to what Active Autowerke is doing, but for $300 rather than $900. Is it going to be hit or miss, just like Megan racing's other stuff? Probably - but at least there's someone in the states that you can get a hold of and will (hopefully) support you
But is it REALLY a USA company....or does it just have a US shell-business address and really its an outsourced overseas asian company. For $300 bucks a set, no way are they supporting a USA work force.

The only company I can think of that is genuinely a USA-manufactured and a genuine USA-company is ARH. I tend to stay away from east asian made goods. They are cheap for a reason and they don't innovate. They hurt the guys that actually develop products and usually the buyer suffers when they cheap out for those products. It's a lose-lose for everyone but the outsourcer. I do like European made, especially German made. I can think of nothing that I own that has been German made and not the best quality in it's category (and I am not just speaking about car parts, but any product in general). I have been VERY impressed with Supersprint's Italian manufacturing, but my Italian made experience is pretty much limited to Supersprint and OE CSL boot-lids -- also top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post

This would have been me:

"It sounds great. It's also really interesting how far your exhaust tips stick out from the diffuser.*Bless his heart*"

Mods: Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Nov-15-2017 at 10:46:01 PM.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 10:42:42 PM   #46
maynard423

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post

This would have been me:

Have to agree hear. I’ve heard Megan back boxes and slew of other Gruppe M knock offs. The sound was atrocious unless you love 100% rasp. I started this thread in hopes of gaining knowledge about a specific product. You can split hairs all day on what products are better or worse but that doesn’t answer the questions about this product. They do resemble Active headers more so that Euro headers. The avg used priced on Euros is around $500-600. These are half that. Actives headers are $800. These are a quarter of that. Back on topic of the original post, my friend has ruled out Euro headers due to not having rear O2’s and the EGR port. I know they can be tuned out quite cheaply but he desires to not do that at this point for reasons unknown to me. His other choice of header is Active’s Header until I found these. I appreciate the feedback and interest some of you have about being “the guy” to try them out. If I had I found them 10 months ago I would have been that guy. I’d gamble $265 and 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 10:48:16 PM   #47
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
But is it REALLY a USA company....or does it just have a US shell-business address and really its an outsourced overseas asian company. For $300 bucks a set, no way are they supporting a USA work force.

The only company I can think of that is genuinely a USA-manufactured and a genuine USA-company is ARH. I tend to stay away from east asian made goods. They are cheap for a reason and they don't innovate. They hurt the guys that actually develop products and usually the buyer suffers when they cheap out for those products. It's a lose-lose for everyone but the outsourcer. I do like European made, especially German made. I can think of nothing that I own that has been German made and not the best quality in it's category (and I am not just speaking about car parts, but any product in general). I have been VERY impressed with Supersprint's Italian manufacturing, but my Italian made experience is pretty much limited to Supersprint and OE CSL boot-lids -- also top notch.
I have no doubt that all of their production, and perhaps engineering, is done overseas. I also have no doubt that a $300 set of headers - even if it fits well - isn't going to last forever, especially with track use.

My point is that I would *much* rather spend $300 for Chinese headers and an American phone number to call than $900 for Chinese product and an American phone number.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 10:53:16 PM   #48
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard423 View Post
Have to agree hear. I’ve heard Megan back boxes and slew of other Gruppe M knock offs. The sound was atrocious unless you love 100% rasp. I started this thread in hopes of gaining knowledge about a specific product. You can split hairs all day on what products are better or worse but that doesn’t answer the questions about this product. They do resemble Active headers more so that Euro headers. The avg used priced on Euros is around $500-600. These are half that. Actives headers are $800. These are a quarter of that. Back on topic of the original post, my friend has ruled out Euro headers due to not having rear O2’s and the EGR port. I know they can be tuned out quite cheaply but he desires to not do that at this point for reasons unknown to me. His other choice of header is Active’s Header until I found these. I appreciate the feedback and interest some of you have about being “the guy” to try them out. If I had I found them 10 months ago I would have been that guy. I’d gamble $265 and 8 hours.

Sounds like you already have your answer.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You know they are cheap. You know they are Chinese manufactured. You know that at the least you will be out $305 (possibly more if you have to buy a different set to replace these when they break) and at least 8hrs of labor (possibly double-triple, if you have to go back and remove these and reinstall another set), you know they won't perform like stepped headers or 6-1 headers, and you know that they may or may not fit when installing or that they might crack after being heat cycled....What else are you looking for? Sounds like both your buddy and your mind has already been made. Given the close proximity to 'Black Friday', i'd wait to see what discounts will be offered by other brands. You might find that a brand with more "reputation" has a sale good enough that persuades you not to risk it with trying these out. There is a reason that the information on these are sparse and that should be factored into the decision.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Nov-15-2017 at 10:58:37 PM.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 11:10:47 PM   #49
maynard423

United States

Quote:
Sounds like you already have your answer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know they are cheap. You know they are Chinese manufactured. You know that at the least you will be out $305 (possibly more if you have to buy a different set to replace these when they break) and at least 8hrs of labor (possibly double-triple, if you have to go back and remove these and reinstall another set), you know they won't perform like stepped headers or 6-1 headers, and you know that they may or may not fit when installing or crack after being heat cycle....What else are you looking for? Sounds like both your buddy and your mind has already been made.

It’s not my money. It’s his. I have SS already. To him spending that much on headers is ridiculous just as I concur paying $800-$1200 for sets that vary only in naming. I only want the best. He and others like him only want the best value for the dollar. You and I aren’t willing to spend 16 hours to make $300 headers fit. But some will. They aren’t wrong. Just different budgets and tolerances. Who knows. These could be the unicorn of good fitting, mild performance and non wallet busting headers. Or exactly as you have hypothesized them to be. At this point, no one who knows for sure has came forward. You burn $300 here. Then burn $500 more for Euros. Your in $800 minus time. (I think we all agree after the OE’s are gone the install time is reduced) Thats still better in some peoples eyes over paying $1800 for SS.

Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 11:16:50 PM   #50
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Ya everybody's budget is different, but if you value the risk of trying these headers to be less than the $200 difference between them and Euro headers, go ahead.

For me, my free time is worth the same or more than what I make at work. Having to do a second header install would be worth way more than $200 or so, personally.

That's assuming you're doing the install yourself. If you're paying someone, it's even riskier.

It's one of those things you understand after you do the install and your hands are bleeding and you can't get the last stud in and it's getting dark and your wife is yelling at you and

I don't think anyone is arguing that the ebay headers won't get you some gains, they will by virtue of the fact that the cats are gone. This is more about how much is your time/life/sanity worth imo.

Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm · BMW Motorsport 4.10 · Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · TMS Camber & Subf plates · RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · ZHP knob + UUC DSSR · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 376/440) + tall RSMs · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs · Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm Textar · Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote