BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jul-11-2018, 05:10:54 PM   #11
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Sluggish Performance at low rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmw21 View Post
My Vanos was well overdue for an overhaul (I was down a good amount of power...will have before and after dynos soon.) and NEVER threw a Vanos code.
Mine was not way overdue, but my seals were flatter than pancakes. Depends on what part of vanos is the culprit, not everything will throw codes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-11-2018, 05:43:36 PM   #12
Toxic0n

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmw21 View Post
My Vanos was well overdue for an overhaul (I was down a good amount of power...will have before and after dynos soon.) and NEVER threw a Vanos code.
Did it pass the VANOS test in DIS?

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-11-2018, 08:44:58 PM   #13
ebmw21

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Mine was not way overdue, but my seals were flatter than pancakes. Depends on what part of vanos is the culprit, not everything will throw codes.
Completly agree, it was really surprising when i swapped solenoid packs with a friend... the car came alive. This was my main indication that i needed to overhaul the Vanos. I never had a solenoid code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Did it pass the VANOS test in DIS?
Yes, it did.

BBS LM | ST suspention | B-Line Intake | AP V1 | Rouge Sec2 | CPI Rasp Terminator | Headers | CSL SMG Coding |
CSL Bumper | Beisan Vanos Rebuild |
Insta: @jstrattn
Vancouver BC area ECUWORX coding avalable.
Jump to top ebmw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 12:42:32 AM   #14
jjimmyp

United States

Hey I have a similar problem on a new owner/used '04 w/87k miles, power under 3K is not great and acceleration seems to be that of a nothing special kind of car. But since I never really had the car new, I have nothing to compare it to as far as how it should be. Gas mileage tops at at the very best at 20 highway. Usually in the 15-17 range in the city.

I had a PPI done and was told the Vanos is good by a reputable shop so I am inclined to believe that is ok. Also new plugs, head gasket, air filter and coil packs were installed at time of purchase. No error codes at all.

Is the MAF sensor fix something that just can be cleaned and its good as new, or is it something that would need to be replaced? And would a dirty to clean one would give a major improvement that is noticeable / be the culprit on its own?

Thanks!
Jump to top jjimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 01:47:21 AM   #15
Jimbo's M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimmyp View Post
Is the MAF sensor fix something that just can be cleaned and its good as new
I've used this for 15 of the 16 years I've owned this car with an oiled filter, the MAF is still the original.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1451535
Jump to top Jimbo's M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 01:51:38 AM   #16
jjimmyp

United States

Is that the same thing as the MAF cleaner the same company sells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo's M View Post
I've used this for 15 of the 16 years I've owned this car with an oiled filter, the MAF is still the original.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1451535
Jump to top jjimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 02:54:18 AM   #17
Jimbo's M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimmyp View Post
Is that the same thing as the MAF cleaner the same company sells?
I have no idea, nor do I care, simply because this works. Why look elsewhere?
Jump to top Jimbo's M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 03:44:23 AM   #18
dcsax

United States

My E46 M3 runs super sluggish, and rough, at low rpm but only when its COLD outside.

When it's 80+, the car runs like a bat out of hell!

Anyone know why it would be so slow and rough only when cold?
Jump to top dcsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 04:32:11 AM   #19
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsax View Post
My E46 M3 runs super sluggish, and rough, at low rpm but only when its COLD outside.

When it's 80+, the car runs like a bat out of hell!

Anyone know why it would be so slow and rough only when cold?
Could be some hose/seal/connection that expands with heat. You smoke the car to see if you have leaks?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-14-2018, 01:17:29 AM   #20
walid.m3

In the garage:

United States

Alright guys time for an update. I went to autozone and advance auto parts to run and see if I have any codes. The result was 0 codes. Great... Yesterday, I didn't notice any stalls when coming to a stop nor power lost I think?

Today, I decided to get the NEW MAF sensor in the car hoping it would resolve the issue. The result was probably no power loss in the lower rpm and no stalls when coming to a stop. The only reason why I believe no power loss is because it was linear power, and I raced my cousins m3 and I pulled on him by half a car length in 3rd gear (I have headers, cousin doesn't).

Anyways, I still have a stall problem in the parking lot. Whenever, I'm pushing the clutch in and out while in reverse and 1st gear. The RPM starts to drop to 500 rpm and stalls. This doesn't happen all the time though maybe 1 in every 8 or 9 times. My cousins drops rpm to 600 rpm but it jumps right back up.

Do you think colder temperatures makes a big difference in sluggish lower rpm and stalls when coming to stop? I read some where that it only happens in colder temperatures. This maybe my case due to this was happening more often in May.

Any Ideas? Clutch possibly?
Jump to top walid.m3 is offline   Reply With Quote