BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > F80 M3 (Sedan) / F82 M4 (Coupe) / F83 M4 (Convertible) : (2015-TBD)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

F80 M3 (Sedan) / F82 M4 (Coupe) / F83 M4 (Convertible) : (2015-TBD) Discuss the 5th Generation M3

Old Fri, Jul-21-2017, 04:19:19 PM   #51
Rblynn78

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

So I actually have to disagree with the majority here. I loved my E46, it was an awesome car. I would agree, the rawness and the steering in that car was amazing and is not duplicated in the M4, which I now have. However, the M4, to me, is better in every way EXCEPT steering feel and rawness. It is faster, more comfortable, better electronics, better tranny and did I mention WAY FASTER. This thing is a beast. I spent a fraction on mods with my F83 that I did on my E46 and I have a roughly 550hp beast of a car that will almost smoke anything within $50k, only thing it won't is a Z06, but come on, if we were vette guys we wouldn't own BMWs. I got to say that my M4 is the best car I have ever owned and with slight modification becomes a beast in every way.
2004 VW Touareg V8 (Sold)
2010 Toyota Sequoia Limited
2014 Acura MDX (Wife) (Sold)
2012 Mercedes GL550 (Sold)
2002 M3 Vert SMG (Sold)
2016 BMW M4 Convertible

Vorsteiner Wheels, KW HAS Kit, AA Mid Pipe, AA Active 8 Tune, Lightweight Front Lip, BMS Air Intakes, Macht Schnell Exhaust Module, 500+ whp
Jump to top Rblynn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-21-2017, 11:36:32 PM   #52
02M3forMe

Did you verify your 500+whp on the dyno?
Jump to top 02M3forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-22-2017, 03:13:10 PM   #53
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblynn78 View Post
So I actually have to disagree with the majority here. I loved my E46, it was an awesome car. I would agree, the rawness and the steering in that car was amazing and is not duplicated in the M4, which I now have. However, the M4, to me, is better in every way EXCEPT steering feel and rawness. It is faster, more comfortable, better electronics, better tranny and did I mention WAY FASTER. This thing is a beast. I spent a fraction on mods with my F83 that I did on my E46 and I have a roughly 550hp beast of a car that will almost smoke anything within $50k, only thing it won't is a Z06, but come on, if we were vette guys we wouldn't own BMWs. I got to say that my M4 is the best car I have ever owned and with slight modification becomes a beast in every way.
It seems as if you prefer comfort, tech, and speed over steering and rawness which is totally fine, many feel that way. However, many other people prefer rawness and steering. Regardless, it sounds like the M4 was the better car for you and congrats on the purchase.

Mr. Wolfe

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-22-2017, 10:17:44 PM   #54
StevoTheHobo
Literally passes gas for a living

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
It seems as if you prefer comfort, tech, and speed over steering and rawness which is totally fine, many feel that way. However, many other people prefer rawness and steering. Regardless, it sounds like the M4 was the better car for you and congrats on the purchase.

Mr. Wolfe
Which is why I kept the E46 as well honestly. Sometimes I prefer the creature comforts and the bottomless pit of torque. Other times, I prefer the basics, high revs, and the telepathic steering.

2003.5 TiAg ///M3 "Betsy," Black Nappa interior
Jump to top StevoTheHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 02:27:00 AM   #55
m3e46freak
M3 Freq

In the garage:

Germany

New m4 is 55-70k?

Used m3 in good condition 13-17k, supercharger is for 4,5k used, and tune with headers (all in about 7k) and you can be at around a smooth 430-470WHP, go with a maximum PSI turbo (10,000) and potentially hit 600WHP and therefor smoking a new m4 easily.

Plus the e46 m3 body style is iconic.

Rock Hard Abs Racing

KWV2!
18X10 CCW CLASSIC!
CPI Headers!
RESONATORS AND SUPERSPRINT!
DINAN!
FRANK!! 311RWHP-260Torque
m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting

ebay/craigslist verified 100% FEEDBACK
m3forum 96% FEEDBACK
m3post/e46fanantics Great FEEDBACK
zpost/bimmerforum Great FEEDBACK
Jump to top m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 07:30:51 PM   #56
akagc

United States

^^^ all that, and don't forget the extra brakes, tires, suspension, misc parts, labor, tuning, and sacrifice + discomfort you will acquire to achieve 600whp in a 10-15 year old car just to claim you can beat a m4... because that's a great daily driver.

I think you're missing the point. Some people aren't willing to go through all that, and still drive to work, or drive their wives, girlfriends, or kids around in a heavily modified (and potentially obnoxious sounding and uncomfortable) car if that's their only vehicle.

Hence why F8X M3/M4s were designed with that type of hybrid convenience in mind. Even if people could afford to buy a used m3 and dump 10-20 grand in it to reach 600whp just to say they have it on a raw platform like the E46 and they can beat M4s, there are still some people that rather shell out M4 money for that kind of painless comfort, convenience, effortless power, warranty and piece of mind.
Jump to top akagc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-17-2017, 10:29:39 PM   #57
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Don't own one, but from the ones I've driven - I agree 100%. Very likely will be my next M-car if they don't end up having some ridiculous catastrophic flaw.
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 12:08:07 AM   #58
JTM09
I like cats

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

I agree with almost all of what you're saying. Except the "rawness" everyone gets caught up on. I'll admit that I was in that camp at first as well, but let me tell you my F80 ZCP is an absolute animal. The steering is near identical to the E46 in sport mode. The exhaust note is glorious. The handling and power is amazing.

My only complaint is the clutch is somewhat soft for a car of this caliber. But it shifts beautifully.

I beat the old E46 drum for a long long time. Amazing cars, and I loved every minute in mine. But this is an apples to oranges to comparison. The F80 is superior in every way.
2002 TiAg/Grey 6MT-sold
Jump to top JTM09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 02:48:18 AM   #59
ricol33t

United States

I think you would need to go to a GT350 for a modern car that has some of the similar intangibles that the E46 M3 does.
Jump to top ricol33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 07:09:51 PM   #60
carsandguns

United States

Quote:
Have to agree here, sold my 500whp F80 at the beginning of the year and got into an a slicktop zcp e46
Jump to top carsandguns is online now   Reply With Quote