BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > F80 M3 (Sedan) / F82 M4 (Coupe) / F83 M4 (Convertible) : (2015-TBD)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

F80 M3 (Sedan) / F82 M4 (Coupe) / F83 M4 (Convertible) : (2015-TBD) Discuss the 5th Generation M3


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Apr-28-2017, 02:24:16 AM   #31
solelybmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 54
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 solelybmw is on a distinguished road
Location: So Cal

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

To each his own. I have driven the f80. Beautiful to look at and fast.....Feels like a completely different car. But I really enjoy the driving experience every time that I drive my slicktop m3 E46 manual. It's not all just about Horsepower. Weight for starters has a lot to do with everything.

Last edited by solelybmw; Fri, Apr-28-2017 at 02:28:10 AM.
Jump to top solelybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-28-2017, 03:00:40 AM   #32
terraphantm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,722
In the garage:
Reputation: 11 terraphantm is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

F8x isn't that much heavier than the E46. And the improvements aren't just in power - it's literally everything. One of the stiffest chassis for sale today (which won't rip itself apart mind you), the stock brakes are awesome, and the grip is significantly improved at all speeds.
__________________
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 06:11:26 PM   #33
jckloo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Reputation: 0 jckloo is on a distinguished road
Location: Oakland





Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

I just bought a new M4 CP. My E46 M3 CP (which I wasn't planning to replace) was rear ended a few weeks ago and was a total loss.

The M4 feels bigger than the E46 (mostly wider) but not heavier. It's an amazing car to drive - the mid-range torque is awesome.

The biggest difference to me (beyond the mid-range torque) is the electronics -
the M4 is like driving an iPad with wheels and an engine. It's not just the customization of the suspension/steering/dynamics but also the heads-up display, the track integration, the media and app coordination - everything.

I'm really looking forward to the next track day.
Jump to top jckloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 06:46:05 PM   #34
Cha5en
Registered User
 
Cha5en's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,332
Reputation: 0 Cha5en is on a distinguished road
Location: PNW

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
F8x isn't that much heavier than the E46. And the improvements aren't just in power - it's literally everything. One of the stiffest chassis for sale today (which won't rip itself apart mind you), the stock brakes are awesome, and the grip is significantly improved at all speeds.


Agreed, it's an amazingly quick car right from the factory. It's acceleration is insanity in comparison to any of the NA M cars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Education Reform



Quote:
Apart from anything else, it would give a tremendous 'feelgood' boost to the end of the season, be the greatest comeback story since Lazarus, and give us a chance to enjoy Robert's laconic humour again. Remember that monster shunt of his in Canada? The next day, as he walked out of hospital, a journalist asked him if he'd seen the crash on TV. Robert Kubica stopped, looked the journo right in the eye and said: "I've seen it twice: the first time I was there!"
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-08-2017, 10:16:55 PM   #35
Tove
They See Me Rollin'
 
Tove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 68
Reputation: 0 Tove is on a distinguished road
Location: L.A.

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckloo View Post
I just bought a new M4 CP. My E46 M3 CP (which I wasn't planning to replace) was rear ended a few weeks ago and was a total loss.

The M4 feels bigger than the E46 (mostly wider) but not heavier. It's an amazing car to drive - the mid-range torque is awesome.

The biggest difference to me (beyond the mid-range torque) is the electronics -
the M4 is like driving an iPad with wheels and an engine. It's not just the customization of the suspension/steering/dynamics but also the heads-up display, the track integration, the media and app coordination - everything.

I'm really looking forward to the next track day.
In your opinion: What is the best feature on the M4 that the M3 lacks?
__________________


BMW Enthusiast since 1987 | Tove aka Genuine
Jump to top Tove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-08-2017, 11:46:30 PM   #36
jckloo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Reputation: 0 jckloo is on a distinguished road
Location: Oakland





Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tove View Post
In your opinion: What is the best feature on the M4 that the M3 lacks?
Do you mean a current M3 or an E46? If E46, then the M4 suspension is much better IMHO. And the DCT is worlds better than the SMG. The gobs of torque are fun. And as a daily driver, everything iDrive/media related is better.

What isn't better is the steering - for electric, it's good but it doesn't come close to the E46 for feel or even turning radius. It's kinda numb.
Jump to top jckloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-10-2017, 08:16:58 PM   #37
forzanerazzurri
Registered User
 
forzanerazzurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 562
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 forzanerazzurri is on a distinguished road
Location: Calgary

Canada




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

I much prefer the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio over the new M3/4. M division has gotten stale.
__________________
Jump to top forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-10-2017, 02:21:24 AM   #38
DreamTime
Registered User
 
DreamTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 61
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 DreamTime is on a distinguished road
Location: Greenville

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Monkey View Post
Hmmmm, maybe you drove the "girly" version with the flappy paddles, and not a manual - note the key and root word "man" in manual...
Lmao. I just found this, and I had to say something. I am a girl, don't insult me by calling the "flappy paddles" girly... Not fair! I love my 6 speed manual, it was a requirement for when I was looking for my M3. I even happened upon a super clean 2006 Boxster recently, low miles 40,200, clean CarFax, $18,000... while at my local Cars and Coffee. I was pretty excited, until he told me to hop in and take it for a drive. It had a Tiptronic trans... Honestly, I didn't even drive it. That was a deal breaker for me. Just sayin'... Be nice to us girls who prefer manuals!
__________________
Jump to top DreamTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 04:09:02 AM   #39
StevoTheHobo
Literally passes gas for a living
 
StevoTheHobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 830
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 StevoTheHobo is on a distinguished road
Location: Wichita

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

I've got both an E46 M3 and an F82 M4. Both very different cars if you ask me. I love how raw the E46 M3 is, and it has just enough creature comforts. Plus it has a timeless look that still turns heads every now and then. Driving wise, I felt like I could push the E46 to the limits more comfortably, and the power is up top, so I'm closer to redline quite a bit if I'm pushing her. The F82 M4 is far more refined, and the midrange torque is insane, but as a result, I find myself not bumping redline anywhere nearly as often as with the E46. Fun unadulterated afternoon drive? E46 M3. Long cruise and daily I'll take my M4. Also, both cars are 6MT for comparison.
__________________
2017 Sakhir Orange ///M4 "Giselle," Extended Black Merino interior

2003.5 TiAg ///M3 "Betsy," Black Nappa interior
Jump to top StevoTheHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-15-2017, 01:05:50 PM   #40
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling
 
Mr. Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,586
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Mr. Wolfe is on a distinguished road
Location: Above Pittsburgh

United States




Default Re: Test Drove an M4 Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Lmao. I just found this, and I had to say something. I am a girl, don't insult me by calling the "flappy paddles" girly... Not fair! I love my 6 speed manual, it was a requirement for when I was looking for my M3. I even happened upon a super clean 2006 Boxster recently, low miles 40,200, clean CarFax, $18,000... while at my local Cars and Coffee. I was pretty excited, until he told me to hop in and take it for a drive. It had a Tiptronic trans... Honestly, I didn't even drive it. That was a deal breaker for me. Just sayin'... Be nice to us girls who prefer manuals!


Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTheHobo View Post
I've got both an E46 M3 and an F82 M4. Both very different cars if you ask me. I love how raw the E46 M3 is, and it has just enough creature comforts. Plus it has a timeless look that still turns heads every now and then. Driving wise, I felt like I could push the E46 to the limits more comfortably, and the power is up top, so I'm closer to redline quite a bit if I'm pushing her. The F82 M4 is far more refined, and the midrange torque is insane, but as a result, I find myself not bumping redline anywhere nearly as often as with the E46. Fun unadulterated afternoon drive? E46 M3. Long cruise and daily I'll take my M4. Also, both cars are 6MT for comparison.
Sounds like we share similar thoughts.

Mr. Wolfe
__________________

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Test Drove an M4 Today in the F80 M3 (Sedan) / F82 M4 (Coupe) / F83 M4 (Convertible) : (2015-TBD) Forum - Discuss the 5th Generation M3 at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)