BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 03:30:23 PM   #1
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Default Official Ferrari 488 Pista Thread (with pics from Geneva)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorauthority
Pista, of course, is the Italian word for “track,” and a track is very much where you'll want to spend most of your time with the car. Powering the 488 Pista is the familiar 3.9-liter twin-turbocharged V-8 now tuned to deliver 711 horsepower and 568 pound-feet of torque, up on the 488 GTB's 660 hp and 560 lb-ft.

Sure the increase in engine performance isn't all that much, but the weight of the car is down significantly. The 488 Pista has a dry weight of 2,821 pounds, down on the 3,020 pounds of the 488 GTB. That saving is no small feat considering the 488 GTB is hardly a heavy-weight. It also makes the 488 Pista virtually the same weight as McLaren's 720S (2,800 pounds), despite the Ferrari using aluminum for its construction and the Macca carbon fiber.

While you can't tell much from the photos, the wheels are rumored to be made of carbon fiber to save 40 pounds over typical Ferrari wheels. Nearly the entire front end is said to be made of the lightweight material as well. You can't see much of the interior from the photos either, but as you might expect, two sport seats hold the driver and passenger. And word has it the interior is stripped down to the bare essentials to save further weight.

Thanks to the combination of more power and less weight, the 488 Pista is expected to sprint to 62 mph in only 2.8 seconds and top out at 211 mph. In comparison, the 488 GTB needs 3.0 seconds to hit 62 mph and tops out at 205 mph.

Track performance has been reported as shockingly good, with lap times around the Fiorano test track reputedly faster than the brand's last hypercar, the LaFerrari, which needed 1:19.70. Making this possible is thought to be race car-inspired aero with 20 percent greater efficiency than the 488 GTB's aero; a more hardcore shift strategy for the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission; and the addition of standard Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.
it's cool I guess, kinda. I just imagine the 458 speciale or even a base 458 is a way more desirable car for people that are actually going to drive it hard.

Seems like a Ferrari badged McLaren to me. 700hp TTV8, absolutely stupid performance, a 6 or 7 in the looks department, & kinda soulless to drive.

Give me the 458 back Ferrari.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 05:50:23 PM   #2
HBspeed

United States

Default Re: Ferrari leaks its attempt at building a mclaren 720S

It's the same convergence we are seeing with every euro uber sedan having a turdbro 6 or 8. Engine variety between manufacturers and more soulful engines are in the past.

Those with the means and goal of having the latest and greatest will eat up all these new turdbros. Us enthusiasts will hoard the old stuff with soul.

Jump to top HBspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 06:43:28 PM   #3
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

So let me get this straight... the super awesome carbon fiber everywhere hardcore Ferrari track special manages to shed 200 pounds... and now it weighs as much as the competing, "regular" daily driver spec McLaren? What happens when McLaren inevitably releases their hardcore track day special version of the 720? It's going to make the 488 look like an F10 M5 weight wise.

I assume Ferrari must be planning to use a CF tub for their next gen 488 replacement at this point, because McLaren is definitively winning the war against overweight high dollar exotics at the moment. They've ditched the NA V8 already, the CF tub is the logical next step to catch up to their British rival. Not that I'd complain about the mainstream Ferrari's getting that carbon goodness everywhere, could you imagine what a 812 Superfast that was 500 pounds lighter with a significantly stiffer chassis would be like?
Jump to top Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 06:46:16 PM   #4
VailM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
So let me get this straight... the super awesome carbon fiber everywhere hardcore Ferrari track special manages to shed 200 pounds... and now it weighs as much as the competing, "regular" daily driver spec McLaren? What happens when McLaren inevitably releases their hardcore track day special version of the 720? It's going to make the 488 look like an F10 M5 weight wise.

I assume Ferrari must be planning to use a CF tub for their next gen 488 replacement at this point, because McLaren is definitively winning the war against overweight high dollar exotics at the moment. They've ditched the NA V8 already, the CF tub is the logical next step to catch up to their British rival. Not that I'd complain about the mainstream Ferrari's getting that carbon goodness everywhere, could you imagine what a 812 Superfast that was 500 pounds lighter with a significantly stiffer chassis would be like?
Well when Ferrari finally get the carbon tub in for the next 4xx car they are going to once again be at least a few steps being because the 7xx Mclaren is going to be a hybrid and thus significantly better car (looks very subjective) than the 488 is vs the 720s.
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 06:49:09 PM   #5
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

Mclaren could be 1000 steps ahead, could care less, 720S looks like straight dog shit

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 07:07:57 PM   #6
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post

IMO they're winning a war that no one really cares that much about anymore.

Personally I think a turbocharged engine makes a lot of sense in "normal" type car - something that often gets used daily. That's why I have always been accepting of turbocharged M3s, M5's and their competitors.

But, I do think a supercar like a 2 seat mid engine Ferrari has lost something when you drop in a TTv8.
It's a car you drive for the theatre. When hardly anyone does more than 2000mi/yr in these things that 45 backroad blast or track day should split your eardrums open, not sound like a big vacuum cleaner.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 07:11:23 PM   #7
VailM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
IMO they're winning a war that no one really cares that much about anymore.

Personally I think a turbocharged engine makes a lot of sense in "normal" type car - something that often gets used daily. That's why I have always been accepting of turbocharged M3s, M5's and their competitors.

But, I do think a supercar like a 2 seat mid engine Ferrari has lost something when you drop in a TTv8.
It's a car you drive for the theatre. When hardly anyone does more than 2000mi/yr in these things that 45 backroad blast or track day should split your eardrums open, not sound like a big vacuum cleaner.
R8 V10+ says hi....and I agreed. If my monies would take a R8 v10 all day and pocket the rest for very loud exhaust.
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 07:45:05 PM   #8
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous

In the garage:

United States

huh... I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

The speciale will definitely be the 4xx F car to have from the last 20 years.

For those who think McLaren is going to be able to shed massive weight with whatever their "cut down" version of the 720S is, consider that the 911 RSR weighs in at 2750 lbs DRY. And that's with plastic windows. 2800 lbs for a contemporary road car is damn impressive

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO)
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 08:01:23 PM   #9
greggb

South Africa

It’s not aimed at 720S but the future 720LT/675LT type car..

Additionally Ferrari apparently wanted to benchmark this to GT2 RS..

Official launch was 3 hrs ago - official press pics and video are on the net

Quote:
By M3n00b:
Who teh fuk is this Canadiot?
Jump to top greggb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-20-2018, 08:06:14 PM   #10
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggb View Post
It’s not aimed at 720S but the future 720LT/675LT type car..

Additionally Ferrari apparently wanted to benchmark this to GT2 RS..

Official launch was 3 hrs ago - official press pics and video are on the net
The first bit, about the LTs makes sense.

The bolded part doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Ferrari, and any Ferrari owner who has drank the kool-aid, will 100% deny any competition between Ferrari and Porsche. They've always asserted that Porsche is a pleb machine, on the same plane as a Corvette, and they are NOT cross-shopped while a potential buyer is considering a Ferrari.

That's what they say, of course. Whether I believe them is a different story.

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO)
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is online now   Reply With Quote