BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 05:53:38 AM   #41
westopher

Canada

Default Re: BMW M2 vs M240i

I didn't feel i needed to add the redundancy of stating 0-100 times and 30-60 times etc.
80% of this threads posts are discussions about the acceleration comparisons between the two.
Regardless, I'd pay the 8% premium to buy the M car just based on the fenders alone, never mind the rest of the package.

Wasn't the e30 m3 actually slower than the 325is in the quarter mile?

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 106k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 06:03:09 AM   #42
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
The obvious platform for Audi is the Sport Quatto Concept, which is basically a shortened wheelbase RS5. The TT Clubsport Concept has the Inline-5 with the electric turbo giving it 600 hp, up from 400 hp in the RS3 and TT-RS. This is the future for internal combustion performance engines like you suggested. I'm optimistic we will still see the Sport Quatto Concept with this Inline-5 electric turbo setup in the near future, as I seriously doubt they would use the TT platform which is massively inferior to a chopped RS5 platform. The death of the R8 gives me even more hope that Audi will sack up since they will no longer have a Halo car. Here is all the technical info on the engine:

https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/64
Yeah, I'm hoping for something like that too. I'm very much not an Audi person, as I can't get over my (perhaps irrational) stigma that they don't build any "traditional" RWD sporting vehicles save the obvious exception of the R8. But there is definitely going to be a hole in their range if the R8 does end up getting canned... everyone in the standard luxury brand club (Audi, BMW, Merc, Lexus) currently has a sexy RWD coupe or two. Audi will be the odd one out without the R8 around. Hell, Lexus has what is basically a budget Aston Martin now. Lexus. Does Audi want to have a stodgier image than Lexus?

Plus, unlike some other halo car projects, I am 100% certain developing some next gen turbo technology will not only make the company look good, but also be extremely relevant to the rest of the line up to boot. If Acura can talk about how the hybrid system in their crossovers is related to the one in the NSX, Audi can do something similar with an electric turbo I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
C'mon.... Who said it was only about 0-60 and quarter mile times?
The marketing teams for the E63, M5, RS6, and CTS-V?

Quote:
It's about performance across the board and the M car always had an advantage in acceleration over the garden variety car. The M2 vs 240i is the first time this wasn't the case. At any rate, soon the M2 will be getting the motor it deserves and will leave 240s in the dust.
BMW is probably laughing at us over all this. They probably told their engineers "do the bare minimum to make the this new M2 a legit M car for now, then for the LCI we'll add in all that stuff if should have had for the get go so we can get a second wave of hype going."

Speculation time: perhaps BMW is planning to give the next gen M3 the same treatment they gave the new M5: AWD + super slushbox = hilarious straight line numbers. After doing this, they will create enough "room" between the M3 and the M2 in terms of both performance and driving experience that BMW will feel it is safe to give the M2 the full fledged M car treatment, without people endlessly comparing it to the M3. This in turn will be the full realization of the succession of the M2 into the M3's original position and the new M3 into the old M5's original position.
Jump to top Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 06:15:17 AM   #43
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I didn't feel i needed to add the redundancy of stating 0-100 times and 30-60 times etc.
80% of this threads posts are discussions about the acceleration comparisons between the two.
Regardless, I'd pay the 8% premium to buy the M car just based on the fenders alone, never mind the rest of the package.

Wasn't the e30 m3 actually slower than the 325is in the quarter mile?
Well, that was the focus of the article in the OP.....

No, the E30 M3 was not slower than the 325is through the quarter...

E30 M3

E30 325is

Last edited by EKaru; Sun, Feb-18-2018 at 06:18:57 AM.
Jump to top EKaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 06:47:56 AM   #44
westopher

Canada

Quote:
Well, that was the focus of the article in the OP.....

No, the E30 M3 was not slower than the 325is through the quarter...
You asked me who said it was about that, and basically answered, everybody so far has basically said its about that.
I wonder where I got the idea that the m3 was slower than the 325is in the quarter. I was sure I heard it somewhere but I guess not.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 106k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 07:05:24 AM   #45
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You asked me who said it was about that, and basically answered, everybody so far has basically said its about that.
I wonder where I got the idea that the m3 was slower than the 325is in the quarter. I was sure I heard it somewhere but I guess not.
yes, and I stated that dynamically there's a big difference between the two..... Everyone knows that the M-variant is superior in handling and driving dynamics.. Nothing new there. The difference in acceleration however is something new..

Anyways, go to bed.... Unfortunately I am on call and likely will not go to bed tonight...
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 02:31:46 PM   #46
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
yes, and I stated that dynamically there's a big difference between the two..... Everyone knows that the M-variant is superior in handling and driving dynamics.. Nothing new there. The difference in acceleration however is something new..

Anyways, go to bed.... Unfortunately I am on call and likely will not go to bed tonight...

The M2 / M240i straight line similarity is just like 1M / 135is... there has never really been other comparable pairs from an engine perspective.

The E30 M3 was only 2-3mph ahead of a contemporary 325is in the 1/4 mile...

Like I said - in my opinion the M2 shouldn’t be disparaged for being in line with the M240i, rather the M240i is just fast as **** for a bottom-of-the-range non-M car

Frankly I never thought 0-60 in low 4s and 110+ in the 1/4 were “too slow”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 Tahoe
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 03:32:08 PM   #47
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Speculation time: perhaps BMW is planning to give the next gen M3 the same treatment they gave the new M5: AWD + super slushbox = hilarious straight line numbers. After doing this, they will create enough "room" between the M3 and the M2 in terms of both performance and driving experience that BMW will feel it is safe to give the M2 the full fledged M car treatment, without people endlessly comparing it to the M3. This in turn will be the full realization of the succession of the M2 into the M3's original position and the new M3 into the old M5's original position.
My expectations are low, but that would be awesome.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 04:00:20 PM   #48
m3 hal

United States

I just plugged the article's suggestion that aero caused the 1/4 mile mph discrepancy into my spreadsheet. Based on their numbers given for Cd and frontal area, there is only ~6 hp difference in how much hp the M2's aero consumes to maintain a steady 110 mph. So even if the M240i maintained that 6 hp advantage for the entire quarter mile, that isn't close to accounting for the 4 mph trap speed difference.

Rolling resistance is another factor, but the coefficient can only be estimated so I can't compare the tires with any sort of accuracy. However, the rolling resistance is likely on the order 25 hp total at 110 mph using typical street tire ranges for the RR coefficient, so I would expect a small discrepancy there as well.
Attached Thumbnails. Click the image(s) to view the full size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	208522  
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 04:21:45 PM   #49
westopher

Canada

Quote:

I live on the west coast. Not even late for me.
Hope your on call night was uneventful.

Old Sun, Feb-18-2018, 06:11:12 PM   #50
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

I would bet its fuel. M2's have consistently been faster than trapping 106.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote