BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 05:25:54 PM   #1931
tenfifteen
Pale Geek Rigour

Reputation: 153 tenfifteen is a splendid one to beholdtenfifteen is a splendid one to behold

United States

Default Re: Post pics of your pets

Sorry about your pups, Dew. The last one I lost nearly killed me and we waited far too long to get Lulu. Not having a dog in the house is the worst. Glad you moved quickly.
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 06:09:24 PM   #1932
Dewstain
E90 Driver

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post
Sorry about your pups, Dew. The last one I lost nearly killed me and we waited far too long to get Lulu. Not having a dog in the house is the worst. Glad you moved quickly.
We moved more quickly than I thought I was prepared for, honestly. We do still have this crazy b!tch:

But when all was said and done, we all found the house to be really lonely. We were prepared to have two dogs for a while, and our dogs were 10, 11, 12, so we expected a rough couple of years, but from 3 to 1 in exactly 8 weeks was not really what we were looking for.

Luckily, my wife starts a new job Monday, so she has this week off. And she decided she really wanted a week to bond/train/etc. with a new dog, so here we are, and happy we made the leap.

As I mentioned, he's huge. His head easily reaches our counters (which are new, btw). And he's also the messiest drinker I've ever seen, hence the towel.

Mind your manners, guys. This is FOT.
Jump to top Dewstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 06:22:22 PM   #1933
skillz
6MT User

Israel

Family member painted this as a wedding gift

2016 Lapiz Blue Golf .:R 6MT
2004 Mystic Blue ///M3 6MT (sold)
Jump to top skillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 03:12:47 AM   #1934
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Sorry to hear about the quick series of tragedies, Dew...

Speaking of which, so a woman at the dog park with a tripod German Shepherd had grabbed a puppy from the executioner's chair (seriously, was due to die at 6pm that day and she got the email at 4:47) on 1/31 and told me he was mine if I wanted him. His owner had surrendered him due to seizures, with no info given. She pulled him since she runs a small rescue, and I met them at the vet for a visit on 2/1. Dude met him 2/10, they got along well, and I was prepared for having a puppy, even though I wasn't ever expecting that.

On the 21st, Dude died, of course, but I was also told that a larger rescue had taken over "Franz" due to the mounting medical costs. I figured that meant no way I'd ever get him, even though I had paid for a vet visit and bonded with him.

But it got worse. A few weeks later a test came back revealing that he had Lysosomal Storage disease, which is fatal. Quickly. And so he was set to go live in hospice until it was time, generally expected to be about 1-2 months.

Something didn't seem right, though. He had a bunch of seizures (controlled by a combo of phenobarbitol and Keppra, which is a lot of drugs) but that's generally end-stage strage disease. And he never showed any of the other symptoms. Only seizures. So they did some more tests. And out of the blue, April 20th, I got an email from the new rescue that he was a false positive, "only" has epilepsy, and would I like to adopt him?

Well, uh, yeah.

So he got delivered yesterday. He's huge already. 58 pounds. And his temperament is amazing. So now I have a puppy. And the wagon is full once again...

He seems to answer to both Franz and Frankenstein. So I think he's going to officially become Dr. Fredrick Franz Frankenstein.
Jump to top Dave B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 05:13:57 AM   #1935
SunD3v1L
hi

In the garage:

Italy

Awesome stuff Dave, congrats! Is epilepsy easily treatable with dogs?
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 06:26:45 AM   #1936
Viceroy
Sorry 'bout the brains!

In the garage:

Cote DIvoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Omfg

Jump to top Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 07:18:19 AM   #1937
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

Congrats Dave!
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 07:38:25 AM   #1938
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

Lots of broad generalizations ITT, in my opinion.

IMO: A lot of working and herding dogs are harder to train because they are intelligent. Same goes for hunting dogs. Although this is obviously breed specific. Its cool to want one of these dogs, but you better be committed to training these animals very consistently for 18+ months. If you do you will have a f'n wonderful animal. But they aren't for everyone.

IMO: A lot of larger breeds are *not* better in smaller houses. Like Sundevil pointed out, many of these breeds need consistent exercise and to use their brain to feel fulfilled. A lot of large breeds dont have the temperament of a Newfie.

IMO: A lot of smaller breeds *are* better in apartments and for less active people. I am not disagreeing with Tens point of a Jack Russell, for instance, but there are many smaller non hunting breeds that are much easier to exercise and give attention to in a small house/apt than it is a larger dog.

Its awesome that everyone here is a responsible pet owner, but it really f'n irks me when I go to friends places that have a dog to cross something off a list... like it was a 'thing to do' checkbox, and life has created a situation (kids, traveling, whathaveyou) where they cant really give the animal the attention it needs, and tbh they often never trained them correctly in the first place. Drives me crazy. And its unfortunate but I think some of this in todays world is driven by the adopt a pet thing... so many people think they are saving a dogs life by adopting an animal that doesnt fit their lifestyle at all, that even as that dog is miserable, they still feel like they did some grand for the world because they adopted. /endrant
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 08:00:11 AM   #1939
M3_Dust
Intredusting

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunD3v1L View Post
Awesome stuff Dave, congrats! Is epilepsy easily treatable with dogs?
We know a few people who have had amazing results using CBD to treat seizures in dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saag View Post
Financial security, good looking women, fine automobiles and clothing. That is how my friends and I portray ourselves to the rest of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggb View Post
Must be horrible that you cannot afford one..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastYugo View Post
people hate you and you look like a turd. GTFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
Terrible taste confirmed
Jump to top M3_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 02:23:32 PM   #1940
Dewstain
E90 Driver

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Sorry to hear about the quick series of tragedies, Dew...

...Snip...

He seems to answer to both Franz and Frankenstein. So I think he's going to officially become Dr. Fredrick Franz Frankenstein.
Sorry about your ups and downs, man. Dogs are a rough go of it sometimes. We actually had adopted a greyhound on hospice care, was a racer, then a brood mama, and then went to some less than stellar breeding, which is actually pretty rare in the greyhound world. She was 8 and had esophageal cancer.

Stayed a night with us in the middle of a haul from wherever she was to wherever she was going; I was scared she was going to die that very night, I slept in the living room next to her.

Long story short, we decided we'd just adopt her for her remaining what we thought was maybe a month or two tops. She lived 9 months, made it to her birthday, and had a Christmas with us.

We actually looked for one of her offspring when we started looking this time, but none were available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ricard View Post
Lots of broad generalizations ITT, in my opinion.

IMO: A lot of working and herding dogs are harder to train because they are intelligent. Same goes for hunting dogs. Although this is obviously breed specific. Its cool to want one of these dogs, but you better be committed to training these animals very consistently for 18+ months. If you do you will have a f'n wonderful animal. But they aren't for everyone.

IMO: A lot of larger breeds are *not* better in smaller houses. Like Sundevil pointed out, many of these breeds need consistent exercise and to use their brain to feel fulfilled. A lot of large breeds dont have the temperament of a Newfie.

IMO: A lot of smaller breeds *are* better in apartments and for less active people. I am not disagreeing with Tens point of a Jack Russell, for instance, but there are many smaller non hunting breeds that are much easier to exercise and give attention to in a small house/apt than it is a larger dog.

Its awesome that everyone here is a responsible pet owner, but it really f'n irks me when I go to friends places that have a dog to cross something off a list... like it was a 'thing to do' checkbox, and life has created a situation (kids, traveling, whathaveyou) where they cant really give the animal the attention it needs, and tbh they often never trained them correctly in the first place. Drives me crazy. And its unfortunate but I think some of this in todays world is driven by the adopt a pet thing... so many people think they are saving a dogs life by adopting an animal that doesnt fit their lifestyle at all, that even as that dog is miserable, they still feel like they did some grand for the world because they adopted. /endrant
I agree with everything you said here, Frank. Pets are not accessories and not all dogs fit all lifestyles regardless of how much you like them or really want one. Plenty of dogs need homes, do your research and find one that fits, not one that you want.

And then the part about misconceptions. We get it all the time owning greyhounds.

First we get "is that a Great Dane?" ...No... Literally the only thing that Greyhounds and Great Danes have in common is that they both start with Gre, and I guess are both similarly colored and can be tall. But JFC, not even close.

Then we get "I bet he/she is wild and runs a lot." Actually, no. They're sprinters. They go out, run around the yard for about 10 minutes total a day, then literally sleep the rest of the day. They really embrace retirement and are extremely lazy. They actually make great apartment dogs because they are quiet and inactive and a short walk a day is all it takes for exercise.

And don't even get me started on the misconceptions of Greyhound racing. Truth be told, the breed is very well controlled and treated really well at tracks nowadays. Yeah, in the '80s, conditions were shit. But regulations and the fact that most of the remaining tracks are pretty high end have really tempered the bad parts. There are a few still around, our hospice care dog Wendi was one of the exceptions, but Senna, our new one was an excellent top tier racer. He broke his leg, and immediately had pretty expensive surgery and was then retired. Some return if they really want to race, but most of the tracks work really well with the various adoption groups; I think I mentioned above that it was every kind of hard to get a grey right now because of how well it's managed.

So yeah, do your research and then let a dog choose you.

EDIT: Bonus gratuitous pic of the now 90 lb Senna on his new bed. It's like a bean bag chair for dogs, forget the name of it.

Mind your manners, guys. This is FOT.

Last edited by Dewstain; Wed, May-09-2018 at 02:28:05 PM.
Jump to top Dewstain is offline   Reply With Quote