BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 10:40:35 PM   #11
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: The Rethinking of Education

edumacation is a lifelong process. you'll quickly become obsolete if you stop.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Dec-30-2017, 01:29:35 AM   #12
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Like anything, I think there are effective applications for online learning as well as scenarios in which more traditional environments will almost always be better.

It’s hard to imagine doing my undergrad mechE degree online - just so much critical lab work, machine shop time, office hours with PhD students, etc. That said, I could imagine going something like a CS major online, though I’m sure those students would say otherwise.

Now, MBA programs are probably one of the most “infiltrated” degrees by online programs, and my alma mater (UNC) is one of the hardest pushers of its online platform (I did traditional full time). For some the online program can be great - for others (depending on goals) the traditional full time program is essentially required.

I think sometimes it’s lost that purely acquiring information is but one aspect of an education, with that statement being more or less applicable depending on degree and career choice. I think degrees/careers where the information itself is the unequivocally most important aspect may be better for online programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 Tahoe
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-22-2018, 01:54:05 AM   #13
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

Well, CA just shit the bed for public secondary and community colleges. Bastards.

Gov Brown introduced the new "Student-Centered Funding Formula" not in a press release, but when his office released a Senate Budget Trailer Bill on January 31, 2018, just a few weeks ago. This fundamentally alters how we (and K-12) is funded and brings back a proven loser, performance-based funding. Over and over this has been tried and the only thing it predictably brings is scandal. Hello? No Child Left Behind? Atlanta administrators changing grades? That was the most publicised issue, there were many.
Quote:
So far, the most widespread case is in Atlanta, where 50,000 students attend public schools. This month, Georgia Republican Gov. Nathan Deal released a report accusing 178 Atlanta teachers and principals at 44 schools — nearly half of the city’s schools — of cheating to raise their schools’ scores on state standardized tests. At one Atlanta elementary school, the report alleges, four educators gathered at a colleague’s home for a “changing party,” using answer sheets provided by a school official.

“Cheating was caused by a number of factors but primarily by the pressure to meet targets in the data-driven environment,” Deal’s office said, adding that “a culture of fear, intimidation and retaliation” permeated the school district.
https://thegrio.com/2011/07/19/natio...d-left-behind/

The new formula funds schools by using a formula known as FTES, or Full-Time Equivalent Student, and assigns a $ number to that student. This is what's technically known in education circles as the "butts in the seats" formula. This is almost 100% of our funding that way now but the new formula would have FTES count as 50% of funding. Twenty-five percent will come from the number of financially disadvantaged students we have with the District counting the students with Pell Grants and BOG waivers (a CA thing. Board of Govs waiver of tuition in certain circumstances) and a category called "Promise" students. The final 25% comes from "completers", those who have either a degree or certificate. This is where it gets very tricky for a community college that has as it's mandated mission to support the citizens and businesses of the county, the people who pay our salaries. We have MANY students who are "skill builders", people who want to come and take a class or two but can't commit to a 20 unit certificate. We will be penalized for this financially so we will be motivated to find unique ways to "work the system" without allowing the lowering of our educational standards (our nursing program feeds Berkeley, UCSF and Stanford). As we've seen when this is tried in the past is that administrators and teachers sometimes allow a student to pass when they don't deserve it.

The biggest blow to us is that CA has had a working group from across the state working on a new and improved funding scheme for the last two years, with our VP of Business on that committee. They had no idea this was coming and were all caught off guard. The new policy doesn't adopt or even acknowledge the work done by the Community Colleges themselves.

Quote:
Based on the new Student Centered Funding Formula, it would appear that the District will see no State revenue increases in the Unrestricted General Fund (UGF) for 2018-19 … And, because 2017-18 revenues included $1.9 M in one-time transfers, and $0.7 in one-time revenue … there will actually be a $2.6 M revenue reduction.

This when we're also in rather heated negotiations over our contract with buttons and everything. It's been an interesting year already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
x2 and some Chicago style pizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dom View Post
He's suffered enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
STFU Klong!!!!! Go Fuk Yourself!
Jump to top propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-22-2018, 02:38:48 AM   #14
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

Great piece on the shift of education under Regan from a liberal education to narrowed career training. When Regan went to college, 8% took "Business and Finance". By the time he became President more students were seeking Business degrees than anything else.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Th...College/151359
Quote:
"The purpose is broad knowledge that enables you to navigate the world you inherit, to develop powers of the mind to make reasoned judgments and cultivate a sense of ethical responsibility, and to connect those goals to the world,"

Those objectives should not be restricted, she says, to liberal-arts majors. They are useful for teachers and technicians. "We argued in 1915 and we’re arguing today that we need good citizens," she says. "A welder is a citizen, too."
Quote:
Such projects, the AAC&U argues, draw on the vital skills of critical thinking, writing, quantitative reasoning, and teamwork that liberal education cultivates. That’s what employers have consistently told the group they’re looking for in new hires, Ms. Schneider says. "They just didn’t use the words ‘liberal education.’"

Those words are often confused or conflated with "liberal arts," not necessarily a positive association. The word "liberal," the association acknowledges, has become a term of opprobrium. Recent research in economics found that top students from low-income backgrounds reacted to the term "liberal arts" with comments like "I am not liberal" and "I don’t like learning useless things."

When politicians mock particular disciplines, it doesn’t exactly bolster popular opinion of liberal education. "If you want to take gender studies, that’s fine, go to a private school," Pat McCrory, the Republican governor of North Carolina, said on a radio show a couple of years ago. "I don’t want to subsidize that if that’s not going to get someone a job." In other words, it’s an intellectual luxury.

To people like Mr. McCrory, such luxuries are exclusively private goods. That said, plenty of governors through the years have understood that a liberal education also has a public benefit.
McCrory is the moron behind the bathroom bill in NC. He started as mayor in Charlotte.

Quote:
Quote:
He's suffered enough.
Quote:
Old Thu, Feb-22-2018, 03:20:16 AM   #15
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

^ McCrory is an asshat of the utmost proportions. Literally the worst.

One of his board of governor cronies spoke to us in a bschool class in 2013 and it was despicable... all about only useful, trade oriented majors should exist etc. our (NC) legislature is a waterfall of asshats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 Tahoe
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-22-2018, 03:38:38 AM   #16
hogger453

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Gov. Brown. Can't wait till this MF finally retires.

Two possibilities exist:

Either we are alone in the universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.

Arthur C. Clarke
Jump to top hogger453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-22-2018, 06:36:48 PM   #17
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Actually, I kinda agree that university degrees shouldn't be given out to everyone. We need more tech and trade school enrollment.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-26-2018, 09:12:06 PM   #18
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbmwm3 View Post
edumacation is a lifelong process. you'll quickly become obsolete if you stop.
poet right here

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-27-2018, 12:25:00 AM   #19
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
Yep. There is a company called 2U, stock symbol TWOU. https://2u.com/

I've invested in their stock because I believe, like you, there is a massive shift in how we learn and we're just on the edge at this point. I believe they and other companies like them are poised for massive growth.
$63.27 when I replied, $80 today.
Long term investment though.
Wouldn't it be ironic if I used the funds from this investment to pay for my kids college in 17 years...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Slicktop * Cloth Seats * AS SSK * Besian

2018 Mercedes Benz E63S Edition 1 Night Black Magno
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed
in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Jump to top SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 04:42:16 PM   #20
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

Really good OP-ED in the LA Times written by Chancellor Oakley, chancellor of the California Community College system. He uses us as an example. :-)

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...403-story.html
Quote:
I'm optimistic about the future of community colleges and their power to transform students' lives, and the president should be too. Look at just a few recent achievements here in California. At Rio Hondo Community College in Whittier, students are enrolled in a cutting-edge certificate program to learn how to repair battery-powered Tesla cars. A team from Santa Rosa Junior College just won the National Collegiate Debate Championship, fending off UC Berkeley to become the first winners from a two-year college. And throughout our system, tens of thousands of students recently received acceptance letters for transfer to Cal State and UC schools to pursue their bachelor's degrees in the fall.
Recent speeches have made clear the complete disconnect in Washington from Education, with our highest leadership showing complete ignorance for the CC system across the country. We're now seeing huge protests by educators in KY, OK and AZ after victories in WV fighting for better pay and conditions. We are experiencing the same thing on our campus and are inches from a strike. Our administration announced quite suddenly last Thursday that Summer would be canceled. What followed was an outrage that was deep and far-reaching, coming from not only faculty but students, the community, and our classified staff. Everyone. Our college president is now under the extreme spotlight and is back-peddling errywhere and has reinstated registration, but we still have no assurances that classes won't be canceled. I get my chance to meet with him this afternoon as part of our Department Chair Council.

2 years ago the people of Sonoma voted to give us $400mm as part of the Measure H Bond to improve the SRJC District, rebuilding or replacing several buildings, upgrading much of our infrastructure, and rebuilding our farm. What has happened since then is that those plans have moved forward, but the Administration also gave themselves raises, then 6 months after that declared a "fiscal emergency" and they are currently trying to cut our pay. They claim a $6mm deficit and that closing Summer will save $2mm. Bullshit.

Quote:
Santa Rosa Junior College President Frank Chong, who continued to take heat despite backing off a controversial move last week to cut summer classes, vowed Monday to push for paycuts for himself and his administration.

Chong, who last year earned $307,470, plus $24,230 in health benefits, making him one of the highest-paid public officials in the county, proposed the salary reductions after a day spent meeting on campus with angry faculty and students.

He sat outside his office Monday morning, next to coffee and donuts he and other administrators brought for students and faculty members who had gathered to chew him out. One by one, they blasted Chong for the plan to slash half of the college’s summer classes, one of several strategies aimed at narrowing a $6.5 million budget deficit but that he ultimately backpedaled on.

“I’m really sorry for all the stress and angst and anger that’s there. I felt some of it today and it’s warranted,” Chong said, addressing the crowd gathered outside his office during the 9 a.m. rally. “I don’t take it personal, but as your president I need to do better, and with your help I can.”

Six hours later, he again was criticized at an SRJC Student Government Assembly meeting for the plan, which was offered without input from students and faculty.

By slashing summer courses, Chong hoped to save $2 million. But the outcry that continued throughout Monday forced Chong to hit the reset button and back away from the plan.

He continued to apologize Monday, becoming at times frustrated with people questioning his integrity or suggesting he put his salary ahead of education. But mostly he listened to students and faculty, who accused him of failing to live up to the college’s model of shared governance. Some questioned his judgment and asked why he hadn’t taken action sooner to address deficit brought on by years of declining enrollment.

Chong described the fallout as the biggest crisis of his six years leading the college.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/81...ong-criticized

Quote:
Quote:
He's suffered enough.
Quote: