BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Tue, Jan-02-2018, 09:23:10 PM   #21
cosmos///m3
MMMmmmmmm....

United States

Default Re: Porsche Saves The Sports Car (Mission E & GT2 RS)

I really like everything I keep reading about the Mission E. I just hope the price stays as low as it has been speculated thus far, and I would really like to see the range extended. I would think battery tech should be, and hopefully allow for ranges near or over 500+ miles in the next couple years while maintaining the speculated price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hum3a
man i need a fu<kin wife to run errands for me......fu<k grocery shopping

Last edited by cosmos///m3; Tue, Jan-02-2018 at 09:27:05 PM.
Jump to top cosmos///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-02-2018, 10:41:58 PM   #22
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
I really like everything I keep reading about the Mission E. I just hope the price stays as low as it has been speculated thus far, and I would really like to see the range extended. I would think battery tech should be, and hopefully allow for ranges near or over 500+ miles in the next couple years while maintaining the speculated price.
I had high hopes for lithium air batteries which theoretically can store four times more energy than existing lithium ion batteries....I continue to be disappointed by the latest on this though and wonder if it will ever become a reality.

Quote:
Don’t hold your breath for lithium-air cells
Rechargeable lithium air batteries could save a lot of weight, if only they could be made to work.

Now MIT has proved another hopeful additive is flawed, although the understanding developed could help in the search for others.
Like zinc-air non-rechargeables, the idea is to replace one energy-containing electrode material with oxygen, which is breathed in from the atmosphere.
“But that theoretical promise has been limited in practice because of three issues: the need for high voltages for charging, a low efficiency with regard to getting back the amount of energy put in, and low cycle lifetimes, which result from instability in the battery’s oxygen electrode,” said the Massachusetts Institute of technology.
Organic additives to the electrolyte have been proposed to sort some of these issues, except they are not themselves stable, according to MIT. A lithium iodide additive, which is inorganic and more likely to remain stable, has also be proposed to address the problems, but published findings have been contradictory, with some showing LiI does improve the cycling life, and some that LiI leads to irreversible reactions and therefore short cycle life.
The university set out to at least find out what is happening with LiI. “We explored in detail how lithium iodide affects the process, with and without water,” said scientist Michal Tulodziecki.
The team looked at the role of LiI on lithium-air battery discharge, with one set of experiments conducted with the components outside of the battery, allowing the reaction to be examined bit by bit, and the set done a battery to help explain the overall process.
Techniques including ultra-violet and visible-light spectroscopy revealed that compounds such as LiOH (lithium hydroxide) are forming, instead of the desired Li2O2 (lithium peroxide).
LiI can enhance water’s reactivity and make it lose protons easily, which promotes the formation of LiOH, and this interferes with the charging process.
So either an alternative to LiI has to be found, or some way to suppress the formation of LiOH is needed.
The findings “help get to the bottom of this existing controversy on the role of LiI on discharge. We believe this clarifies and brings together all these different points of view,” said Professor Yang Shao-Horn.
The work was supported by Toyota Motor Europe and the Skoltech Center for Electrochemical Energy Storage, and used facilities supported by the National Science Foundation. It appears in the journal Energy and Environmental Science as ‘The role of iodide in the formation of lithium hydroxide in lithium–oxygen batteries‘.
https://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...cells-2017-08/
Old Wed, Jan-03-2018, 04:31:00 PM   #23
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
I had high hopes for lithium air batteries which theoretically can store four times more energy than existing lithium ion batteries....I continue to be disappointed by the latest on this though and wonder if it will ever become a reality.

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...cells-2017-08/
don't give up hope yet, the US government currently has the greatest researchers of all time to find a solution using the latest tax cuts for funding and removal of fuel economy standards as the incentive to make this happen right away!

At least I think that's how it's supposed to work.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-03-2018, 05:16:10 PM   #24
FastYugo

United States

porsche is killing it!
Jump to top FastYugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-04-2018, 12:24:42 AM   #25
Thor
God of Thunder...Smiley King....Name Dropper!

United States

It will be interesting if Porsche can make that 2 speed transmission work out as it will change a lot of things on the electric car....Range at speed, acceleration, battery degradation, cooling etc etc... Hopefully Porsche can make it work with the torque loads it will have to endure...
Old Fri, Jan-12-2018, 08:43:23 PM   #26
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Old Fri, Feb-02-2018, 01:16:07 AM   #27
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-17-2018, 04:40:54 AM   #28
EKaru

United States

production model

Quote:
The company is set up for a production run of 20,000 units, but has "leeway" to increase that.
Porsche has quite a bit to say about its current production expansion, which includes making room for the forthcoming Mission E. Yesterday the company published an interview with Albrecht Reimold, who is part of Porsche’s executive board for production. Titled “we are pulling out all the stops,” the interview goes in-depth on the automaker’s manufacturing progress, but it also dishes up insight on the company’s much-anticipated all-electric car.

First previewed as a concept back in 2015, Mission E prototypes have been spied frequently in recent months. With this being an interview originating from Porsche proper there aren’t any super-juicy secrets revealed, but the photo above is a beautiful render of Mission E production. Some might think this actually gives a glimpse of what the final production car will look like, but alas, the rendering appears to show the original concept with its flared front fenders and suicide doors.

Scouring through the interview, we do find some interesting tidbits for the Mission E’s future, however. When asked about production targets, Reimold confirmed the company is set up for 20,000 units, but that there’s “a little leeway to increase that.” He also confirmed that the Mission E should go into production next year, but stopped short of a specific date. He also stopped short of saying the Mission E could see a second-generation beyond the initial offering, but didn’t rule anything out. Reimold did suggest the Mission E could see a five-to-seven year production run, however.

When it comes out, the Mission E is expected to offer varying trim levels based on power. Entry-level cars start with 402 horsepower (300 kW) with the range-topper belting out 670 hp (500kW). All should have a range of about 310 miles, and with Porsche’s proprietary 800-volt charging system, could get an additional 249 miles of range on a 20-minute charge.

You can read the entire interview in the press release link below.
https://www.motor1.com/news/229308/p...sion-e-future/
Old Mon, Feb-19-2018, 03:54:46 PM   #29
LALaw
Brah

In the garage:

Canada

That's aggressively ugly
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 12:08:50 AM   #30
EKaru

United States