BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 09:45:53 PM   #1
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Default Gabe's 2006 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon ZCP Journal

Hey everyone,

I figured I'd better get a journal going before I'm in too deep with maintenance and some modifications. To start, I came across this car the day it was posted on E46Fanatics, October 20, 2017, and immediately messaged the seller. After speaking with the seller by phone and private messages, I finally found the time to fly out and collect it on November 8, 2017, after a 3-month long search for the perfect ZCP (see pics from the FS listing below).
Also, here's the car's build sheet:

VIN: WBSBL93426PN65877
Type code: BL93
Model: Мotorsport (USA)
E-F-R series: E46 2
Series: 3
Type: COUPE
Steering: LL
Doors: 2
Engine: S54
Displacement: 3.20
Power: 252 (342 hp)
Drive: HECK
Transmission: MECH
Paint code: A08 - SILBERGRAU METALLIC
Upholstery code: N5ZM - TEILLEDER W.N./Z
Production Date: 2006-04-25

Options:
S7MA Competition package
S8SP Control unit COP
S9AA Outer skin protection
S210 Dynamic stability control
S261 Side airbags for rear passengers
S354 Green windscreen, green shade band
S403 Glass roof, electrical
S431 Interior rear-view mirror with auto dip
S441 Smoker package
S459 El. front seat adjustment w. memory
S464 Ski bag
S473 Armrest front
S490 Adjustment, seat-backrest width
S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
S502 Headlight cleaning system
S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
S520 Fog lights
S521 Rain sensor
S522 Xenon Light
S534 Automatic air conditioning
S550 On-board computer
S609 Navigation system, Professional
S639 Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S650 CD player
S674 Hi-Fi system Harman Kardon
S692 Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S710 M leather steering wheel
S775 Headlining anthracite
S785 White direction indicator lights
S818 Battery master switch
S845 Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S853 Language version, English
S876 Radio frequency 315 MHz
S925 Dispatch protection pack
S946 BERUECKSICHTIGUNG PREISABHAENGIGK.
S992 Control of number-plate attachment

I'll be honest, I didn’t haggle at all with the seller of this car because I was so fed up with letting other cars get away, and told him that I would pay his asking if the PPI gave the green light. Before anyone asks, it wasn't even the fact that I was making obscene offers; most of the time, it was my line of questioning that sellers were annoyed with. I didn't expect the lack of transparency in a specialty car market, but lesson learned.

The seller of the car was heartbroken about selling his dream color combo E46 M3, he told me tons about the car, and how he came to own it. There were two concerns with the car I had. He also informed me that the car's SES light was on thanks to a failing O2. In reality, the car needed a thermostat and new battery, as my PPI revealed. Fortunately, the seller knocked that off the price, and he covered the entire cost of the battery. For those wondering, all in I was around $22,250.

Here are the pics from the FS listing:

The car had a good amount of maintenance history, with all oil changes done every 3,000 miles or so with Castrol 10w-60 at a reputable show in Massachusets called ACE Performance - who also performed the PPI for me, and replaced the thermostat. The car also had regular valve adjustments done at the BMW dealer for whatever reason, and not at ACE. In addition, the car had no preventative maintenance done. Anyways, I didn't take many photos of the car before I set out on my 10 hour trip back to Cleveland, Ohio from the sellers home in Tewksbury, MA.

Here was my first fillup with the car:

Unfortunately for me, I picked literally the worst time of the year to buy a car in North East Ohio with winter quickly approaching I haven't really been able to drive the car that much, but I did get a chance to fix the horrible, and saggy exhaust that absolutely drove me insane. Whilst the car was tucked away for the winter, I've had the chance to piece together an entirely new header back exhaust. I started by ordering Megan Racing headers, which are a bit controversial. My install went off without a hitch. I then moved on to the section 1, and also purchased Megan Racing's sec. 1 and 2, which has two large resonators on the section 1. Unfortunately, the section 2 does not have a crossover/h-pipe, so I will most likely be getting rid of it at some point in the near future. Lastly was the section 3 which I bought on eBay.co.uk as it's not really popular here in the states - Scorpion's section 3 with Daytona tips. See the pics below for how it sits.

Here's how it sat with the Magnaflow that came on the car:

Here's how the car currently sits with the entirely new exhaust.

Here's a video of how it sounds too:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h17dCRMTFIAgqZA42

My long-term goals for this project are to make the car as close to a CSL as possible whilst retaining some creature comforts, and I'll kick things off with the carbon roof once I have all the preventative maintenance taken care of at my local indy, LMS BMW.

Here's the how the car currently sits, thanks to the lake effect this is as far as the car made it out of the garage. I'm not entirely sold on the smoked corner lights yet, but nonetheless:

I look forward to interacting, and sharing my ownership experience with everyone here! Thanks for reading. I will also be polishing this entry as I go, so I apologize if in parts it's unintelligible.

You can also follow this cars journey on Instagram here (Shameless plug)

2006 M3 ZCP Silver Grey on Cinnamon 6MT | 1 of 4 in North America |

Last edited by The_Grumpy_Cat; Sun, Mar-04-2018 at 12:12:38 AM.
Jump to top The_Grumpy_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 10:16:29 PM   #2
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Gabe's 2006 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon ZCP Journal

Gorgeous car! Really good price too, I can't imagine what that thing would've pulled on BaT nowadays.
Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 10:27:23 PM   #3
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Gorgeous car! Really good price too, I can't imagine what that thing would've pulled on BaT nowadays.
Thank you! BAT prices when I started looking were wild, ranging from $12.5 to $30k, which left me super confused as to what I should be paying. I'm glad someone else could reaffirm that I got a good deal I've really enjoyed following the progress of your car too! I don't see enough Steel Grey on these forums.

Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 11:03:32 PM   #4
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grumpy_Cat View Post
Thank you! BAT prices when I started looking were wild, ranging from $12.5 to $30k, which left me super confused as to what I should be paying. I'm glad someone else could reaffirm that I got a good deal I've really enjoyed following the progress of your car too! I don't see enough Steel Grey on these forums.
Thanks man! From the dealership report, it looks like the cares around 90k-100k miles. Silver Gray with Cinnamon would fetch high teens to 20k imo on BaT, but with ZCP I'd be curious what it would fetch.
Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 11:13:21 PM   #5
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Thanks man! From the dealership report, it looks like the cares around 90k-100k miles. Silver Gray with Cinnamon would fetch high teens to 20k imo on BaT, but with ZCP I'd be curious what it would fetch.
Right now the car's somewhere in the 89,6xx miles or so. Like I said I haven't gotten the chance to drive the car too much thanks to the atrocious weather. Definitely would be interesting to see what BAT could bring versus a private sale. There was another car that sold back in September identical to mine, with ZCP and 106k miles, however, the Cinnamon interior was unoriginal and all the preventative maintenance was done. I think it sold for $26.5k?

Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 11:30:31 PM   #6
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grumpy_Cat View Post
Right now the car's somewhere in the 89,6xx miles or so. Like I said I haven't gotten the chance to drive the car too much thanks to the atrocious weather. Definitely would be interesting to see what BAT could bring versus a private sale. There was another car that sold back in September identical to mine, with ZCP and 106k miles, however, the Cinnamon interior was unoriginal and all the preventative maintenance was done. I think it sold for $26.5k?
Yeah the BaT prices have been going up. Let me know if you need a set of coilovers! I just bought a set of TCKline D/A's so I'm about to post my BC's for sale pretty soon.
Old Sat, Mar-03-2018, 11:41:19 PM   #7
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yeah the BaT prices have been going up. Let me know if you need a set of coilovers! I just bought a set of TCKline D/A's so I'm about to post my BC's for sale pretty soon.
Thank for the offer! I'll definitely let you know. Bring a Trailer is very odd in the fact that the prices of E46 M3's, in particular, are really inconsistent.

Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 12:13:12 AM   #8
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

I feel as though I should elaborate on the car's history itself. It has had 4 owners according to CarFax. The first one was in California, where the car was delivered to Crevier BMW. Funny enough, the first owner of the car was on here as well, plotting how he would order his car. I also managed to find some of the first pics taken of it, which is really, really cool to me. See below all the photos from the first few days the original owner spent with the car. Before anyone asks, the angel eyes were fitted by the dealer apparently before taking delivery of the car.

I was never able to get in touch with the second owner, but I may try again in the near future. There was a mysterious third owner, who I know nothing about, other than the fact he owned the car for a year and 6k miles in New Mexico. If anyone on here knows him, please let me know, haha. The fourth, and final owner was the guy I got it from who somehow purchased the car CPO in 2010 from Sandia BMW Of New Mexico, and owned the car for the better part of 7 years.

Last edited by The_Grumpy_Cat; Sun, Mar-04-2018 at 05:43:45 AM.
Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 01:53:21 AM   #9
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Great color combo! Glad you made a journal

-Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop AP Headers Euro cat sect 1 Dinan sect 3 BMW Motorsport 4.10 Besian D/A pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings
-TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Street Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs
-OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 02:12:39 AM   #10
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Great color combo! Glad you made a journal
Thanks, Tyler! Definitely looking forward to documenting everything I can.

Last edited by The_Grumpy_Cat; Sun, Mar-04-2018 at 05:43:31 AM.