BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 10:37:08 AM   #171
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: CMP Auto Engineering subframe kit

Afternoon everyone,

as an update for the kits we are working on, the first set of front mount extensions were fitted to my own car a couple weeks ago in addition to my own custom solid aluminium subframe raising bushes in addition to new bushes all round in the back end.

Initial review of the car is that it feels so much more rigid, more driver feedback and responsive to driver input and remains incredibly flat through the bends which both the change in roll centre and rigidity of the bushing have likely contributed towards.

IMO, for those with sufficient structural reinforcement to compensate for the undampened forces, these bushes are a must. The handling is incredible (much like an M4 if I had to compare) and my diff whine is gone now that I've removed my PF black diff bushes and fitted stock again. The change in harshness on the road in comparison the PF yellow subframe bushes is non-existent. I have only positive things to say.

I have also received pricing for these bushes to be manufactured and it is looking like I will be pricing them at ~$350 Aud (~$270 USD). I will also be including these bushes with all the RACP reinforcement solutions I offer in the group buy I intend to host when the brace is complete.

Onto the front mounts, I'm afraid my install was slightly rushed and I hardly captured any photo's to share so I hope the ones below do provide some insight into the project.

Regarding the brace, I have fitted the mounting plates and begun notching tubes to fit to form the full 6-point brace however, this may be delayed as I'm expected to be sent onto a solar farm site for several weeks in the coming days.

here's some of the pics of my recent project I mentioned earlier. let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions.

1. Base of vertical tube. The factory welds were ground down to provide a pool for the new welds material. The result is that the new weld material joins the washer at the base of the tube directly to the threaded insert within. The second shows the fitment of the tube within the structure.

Some of my welds holding the tube to the washer.

To assembly the kit, the SHS had to be first welded to the folded horizontal beam. I tacked welded it in many places to ensure no distortion then removed the piece and welded some internal joins and all extenral joins.

Excuse the glare in this pic. It was the only one I captured showing it in the car. This is before I welded the assembly in.

And lasltly, when I finally had the car fully assembled ready to put the wheels back on the ground. Not a whole lot to see but after all that work it was a big moment.

Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 10:42:20 AM   #172
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Any pics of the solid subframe bushings and how they differ to say the tms solid bushings
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 10:50:16 AM   #173
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Any pics of the solid subframe bushings and how they differ to say the tms solid bushings
Correct me if I'm wrong but from memory, the TMS units are designed for a competative racing series (spec E46?) that doesn't allow a substantial change in suspension geometry and are simply a solid version of stock geometry.

These bushes against stock raise the subframe 8mm closer to the chassis to correct for the change in roll centre from adding plates & a portion of the change from lowering the car.

The result is less body roll/weight transfer in the bends.

The pics I have are of my own prototypes. The finished design has a channel machined around the protrusion the stud is within to reduce weight.

Old Sun, Mar-04-2018, 10:56:23 AM   #174
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Looks good. I'll wait and see the final version before making up my mind with which ones to go with. Thanks.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...e46-m3-z4z4-m/
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC

Last edited by 0-60Motorsports; Sun, Mar-04-2018 at 11:01:06 AM.
Old Mon, Mar-12-2018, 08:01:58 AM   #175
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Afternoon Guys,

I thought I'd make a quick post about a questions I get quite often.

A lot of people seem to be concerned about the intrusion the 'topside beam kit' and 'front mount extension kit' have on the boot cavity and whether it is still practically functional.

Below is quick snap I took one afternoon and is not a glamour shot but, shows the impact both topside reinforcement kits have on the boots practicality. The brace is currently not fitted as you can tell by the holes in the side trim and please excuse the dirtiness of it. I am yet to create a replacement floor board to conceal it all.

This is my own car with my very large and heavy 17" Alienware Laptop in its bag for scale. I have transported drums of oil, wheels and tyres as well as packed up kits without any issues.

Old Mon, Mar-12-2018, 11:25:08 AM   #176
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Interesting on the subframe bushings! I had been pondering raising the subframe for a long time to reclaim suspension geometry, but didn't know if it could cause an issue with the driveshaft angle.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 04:48:03 AM   #177
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Interesting on the subframe bushings! I had been pondering raising the subframe for a long time to reclaim suspension geometry, but didn't know if it could cause an issue with the driveshaft angle.
Coming from PF yellow subframe bushes the combination of changing roll centre and going solid was phenomenal. The car feels very responsive and is much flatter in the bends.

It seems to be very common on other vehicles and I can see why. The prop was fine. Clears the chassis with ease and is closer to level now than before.

The bushes will be in the group buy to come if you want to get a set at a good price Obioban.

I was also considering getting some aluminium steering couplers made up if there's sufficient interest. Let me know.
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 04:59:48 AM   #178
baders

Australia

Here is mine. I got stung a bit with the cost of the underside plates as the welder had not done this before and they took much longer than expected. Overall though I'm really happy, as small hairline cracks had developed. Might be just my butt dyno but it also seems to have tightened the rear end up somewhat. Cayn PM or email me if you want the details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cmp bar small.jpg (151.9 KB, 66 views)
Jump to top baders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 05:04:12 AM   #179
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Here is mine. I got stung a bit with the cost of the underside plates as the welder had not done this before and they took much longer than expected. Overall though I'm really happy, as small hairline cracks had developed. Might be just my butt dyno but it also seems to have tightened the rear end up somewhat. Cayn PM or email me if you want the details.
Thanks for sharing Baders. Love the blue!

If you've got other photo's to share I'd love a copy. I'll PM my email now.
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 04:50:05 PM   #180
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Waiting on GB for subframe solid bushes.