BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 03:31:38 AM   #21
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 as first car??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
I'm glad kids these days still have interest in cars.

Go for it, OP. Thrash it at the track, fix it, maintain it, clean it, show it off, and enjoy the hell out of it.
This. Honestly dude, do it. It'll suck sometimes but all cars suck sometimes.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 08:13:41 AM   #22
CrazyMojo
a.k.a Ape

United States

So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If I didn't blow so much money on cars while I was young I'd have a gt3 by now. I also wouldn't have met tons of friends in the car scene growing up, learned basic wrenching, gotten into autocross and track days, etc. Go for it, enjoy it, but don't get stupid with it. Things like fancy 3pc. Wheels and that stuff is for people with real money. Spend yours on maintaining it, gas and insurance and you will be sure that you aren't spending useless amounts while still getting to enjoy it.
Also, do yourself a favor and look into buying OEM parts (with some exceptions)
You don't want to risk a warped head because you bought the cheapest coolant hose you could find. Which brings me to another point, any e36 you may end up getting, replace the coolant system asap. (If you don't have receipts to back up a recent refresh)

oh and don't money shift.

You avoid all this and you avoid some large repair costs.
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 02:39:32 PM   #23
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
If I didn't blow so much money on cars while I was young I'd have a gt3 by now. I also wouldn't have met tons of friends in the car scene growing up, learned basic wrenching, gotten into autocross and track days, etc. Go for it, enjoy it, but don't get stupid with it. Things like fancy 3pc. Wheels and that stuff is for people with real money. Spend yours on maintaining it, gas and insurance and you will be sure that you aren't spending useless amounts while still getting to enjoy it.
Nah, you'd have spent it on something else

Or at least I would have

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 04:30:37 PM   #24
pbonsalb

I never had GT3 money 10-20 years ago and would not have wanted to drive a Honda Civic for 10-20 years while I saved up for the GT3. I am hoping to get a used 997TT or 991TT before I am too old to enjoy it. But in 2005, I would have justified buying the E36M3 on similar grounds -- I wanted to have a little fun then rather than later in life.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 06:03:22 PM   #25
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

OP, sounds like you've got your head on straight, which is more than can be said for most teenagers who post here. The car is powerful, even if it isn't fast by today's standards, and is very needy on maintenance. There aren't the electronic safety systems to correct driver mistakes or overconfidence, so you need to be aware as you drive it-- seriously consider an autocross or two with an instructor, as well as the BMW CCA's Street Survival course, to better learn the limits of the car and what it feels like as you approach them and exceed them.

Be realistic about your budget though. Can you afford to maintain the car AND do the things the youths like to do also? Figure out how much you spend per month now, without a car. How much is left over per month? Will you be content to skip activities because your spend that month was on brakes and coolant?

Unless you buy a perfectly maintained car, figure somewhere around 1500/yr in maintenance, 3k or so if you have to pay a shop. These are 12k cars; subtract your purchase price from that to see how much, roughly, you'll need to spend to get it in top shape. Until something else breaks.

In my mind, these are great cars for someone who has a second car, and can wrench themselves. They're easy to work on but they have somewhat deservedly earned a reputation for fragility...and quality repair parts are NOT cheap.

I have two of these things, and love them. And hate them. But also love them.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 06:08:36 PM   #26
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Well fkin said. My wallet hates my hobby, but the friendships I've made and the experiences I've had, good and bad, were absolutely worth it.

OP----DON'T MOD THE CAR. At least until you have a second car and a good income, then go full stupid on it. On the road my unmodded car is 99% as fun as the modded one, and has cost me a fraction.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 05:02:52 AM   #27
jhamer123

United States

First off, thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't consider myself one of those teens that's going to go blow money on slamming it or anything useless like that, i would spend my money on maintaining and the occasional upgrade. Based on a few of the responses I got from you guys, I have decided I am going to get an M3 soonish; gotta find the right deal.

Regarding my income. I am an amateur web developer which surprisingly makes me quite a lot of money. I also work as much as I can at a local restaurant where I make good money, I also do their website. I dont think I'll have much of a problem with repairs as long as I do them myself, or with my dad.

Another question, what do you guys think about e36 m3 convertibles? A decent amount of the listings I saw for convertibles had broken motors and could only go down manually. How common is this?

Thanks again for all the help.

-James
Jump to top jhamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 06:18:22 AM   #28
westopher

Canada

Think about what you want from the car. Verts are cool, but heavier, softer, and less practical. If it's your only car and you want to take it snowboarding or for the occasional camping trip, coupe or sedan is infinitely more livable. The best part about being young with a cool car is a road trip.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 01:43:10 PM   #29
gingerELITE

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamer123 View Post
Another question, what do you guys think about e36 m3 convertibles?
'Vert owner here. Yes, they are heavier, softer, less practical (my goodness that trunk is useless), and more complicated. If you're not going to be tracking it super regularly (I do track mine 2 or 3 times a year, however), I think a convertible is just awesome. Top-down cruising through twisty roads in the summer, while having the unobstructed sound of a screaming straight six in your ears is pretty great.

I've had no issues with my top motors, although I did have to put a new top on it along with tension straps and the like. It wasn't cheap. I'd suggest finding one with a reasonably new top if you do want a convertible.

Summer Daily --- '99 M3 Convertible 5MT
Winter Beater --- '02 VW GTI 1.8t 5MT
Jump to top gingerELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 01:49:08 PM   #30
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I think as an only car, that will likely be your only car for a number of years, a vert is not a good choice... even before the driving dynamics are factored in. The vert back seat is useless for adults, the trunk isn't going to let you carry much stuff, and the top is far more likely to need an expensive fix.

You could move all your stuff to college in a sedan/coupe. You could take a road trip with your friends in a sedan/coupe. You could straps skis on the rood of a sedan/coupe.

The vert has many practical limitations. And its a worse driving experience, which is really the party trick of an M3.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote