BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 08:42:03 PM   #1181
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfreid View Post
Would love to hear WHY Antony chose that location though... He must have had some reason.
I don't have the time at the moment to dig back for the exact post, but the reasoning was posted in this thread. If I remember correctly, it was posted somewhere between page 109-111 (possibly after).

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 12:31:55 PM   #1182
mcfreid

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

Found it, thanks for pointing out where to look!

"You will also note the unique placement of the IAT sensor bung. This spot was chosen because it is easy access, it's behind the filtered section of the airbox, it's behind the trumpet's closer to the combustion chamber (more accurately measuring the incoming air temperature into the combustion chamber, and it is placed in an area that will not in anyway trip air flow. We are testing this spot. If it works out -- Fantastic. If it's not an ideal location, we can easily move it to a new location without needing to change the mold-- That is no problem either. We can place it where ever we want. This is why it's a prototype, so we can figure these things out. "
Jump to top mcfreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 06:23:32 PM   #1183
speedblind_az

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Have you got around to installing yours yet? Reason I ask, I am wondering if Karbonius still has the "whistling issue" that many experience with their airbox for some reason. I am not sure if Karbonius ever ultimately fixed this.

You can hear that *whistle* pretty clearly in this recording, since the mic was next to the airbox (hence also why the induction is so loud, CSL induction noise is not this loud in the cabin.):
Evolve CF Airbox E46 M3 First Drive Sound - YouTube
Did you intend to post a video of an Evolve airbox while discussing the Karbonius airbox?

I know you're ultimately helping to sell the Streamline version and you're trying to remain impartial. But it doesn't look great subtly bringing up issues with a competitor's product and then posting an unrelated video as proof.

I hope Streamline gets this right, but I understand the skepticism because I share it. I was early on this GB list and early on the Brembo GB list. Ended up buying Karbonius because they're proven and they hit their production and delivery targets. Still hopeful that something will come of the brakes and also hopeful that the bumpers end up reaching the original fitment and quality promises.
Jump to top speedblind_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 06:55:48 PM   #1184
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

I think he was just showing an good example of the whistling sound.

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 07:17:18 PM   #1185
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedblind_az View Post
Did you intend to post a video of an Evolve airbox while discussing the Karbonius airbox? I was only intending to post a video of the whistle sound I was referring to. It was the best video I could find that illustrated what I was talking about. I figured someone out there would be really confused at what I was referring to, so an audio recording seemed like it would help illustrate what I was talking about.

I know you're ultimately helping to sell the Streamline version and you're trying to remain impartial. But it doesn't look great subtly bringing up issues with a competitor's product and then posting an unrelated video as proof. That's certainly not my intention. I think bringing up any flaws in any airbox is worth mentioning, whether its a flaw on the Streamline airbox, Karb, or Evolve. The idea is to improve upon the areas where improvement exists, right? If you think any of the airboxes are perfect without any areas of improvement...well then I must have gotten a bad competitor's airbox (which I didn't. My Karb airbox is fantastic, make no mistake --- BUT there are still areas to improve upon, at least on my single airbox that was made by them). The same is true with my Buddy's Evolve airbox. It's a fantastic airbox, and I would have no problems recommending an Evolve (or Karb) airbox to anyone. In fact I HAVE recommended those airboxes to others -- They both are great options. However, it too has areas that could be better. I think that I am being pretty unbiased when I say that. Am I splitting hairs? perhaps. But pointing these things out can only be a good thing, if that means we can improve upon something. Oddly enough, my buddy's Evolve airbox does not have the same whistle that was heard in the Evolve video I posted. It very well may be that the whistling in that video is only audible because his mic is located in his engine bay. What I can say for certain is that the Karb airbox that I personally own and paid for with my personal money, did whistle. To the point that the previous owner (like many in a much older GB ended up doing) added a T-shaped pipe to eliminate the whistle. While that T-pipe doesn't look pretty...It works and my airbox has zero whistle. Considering I own the part that I am constructively critiquing, I think I am justified to mention it without it being an inherently biased opinion. You will find, I have also critiqued Streamline's airbox in a few areas where I felt needed constructive criticism and which could be improved upon as well. This isn't about selling airboxes and making a bunch of money for me -- I wish that were the case lol. I'd just like to see this product done right and I have given as much aid as I possibly can to see that this becomes the case (ultimately the ball is not in my court). If this were about money, I would have purchased the rights to my own molds and would be in complete control of it all. Remember, this is a development thread...Might as well get every little detail correct from the beginning (or as much as we can get right, from the start). If anyone has doubts that this is/was ever an issue -- Here are a few posts that you might find interesting (with actual evidence):
Post 1004

Post 1000
Post 1007
Post 1028
Post 1029
Original thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...44943&page=101
Once more, the video wasn't meant to "prove" anything....it was meant for those that have no idea what I am talking about regarding an airbox whistle (most people have never heard any of these airboxes in real life). Perhaps the whistle affects all the airbox manufacturers or perhaps only some....What matters to me is that there is no whistle and that there is no need for customers to add pvc pipes to their expensive carbon airboxes. I think we can all get behind that intention (regardless of manufacturer), no?

Someone in the past posted a video that was really exemplary of this whistle (perhaps in the thread I linked above, I don't/didn't have time to go through each page). It was a video recorded at night with an Evolve airbox car next to a Karb. Airboxed car and it really illustrated that whistle (at least I believe that was the video I was looking for, unless mistaken). But the one I posted above does a pretty good job illustrating it (regardless of who made the airbox)

I hope Streamline gets this right, but I understand the skepticism because I share it. I was early on this GB list and early on the Brembo GB list. Ended up buying Karbonius because they're proven and they hit their production and delivery targets. Still hopeful that something will come of the brakes and also hopeful that the bumpers end up reaching the original fitment and quality promises.
See red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
I think he was just showing an good example of the whistling sound.
This exactly. I am glad my intentions were not lost on everyone, here.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Jul-20-2018 at 09:57:26 PM.
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 07:32:43 PM   #1186
speedblind_az

United States

You're constructing and responding to straw man arguments based on things I never wrote.

I never implied that the whistle wasn't ever a problem. And I never wrote that any airbox is "perfect" or "can't be improved upon."

I do think it's misleading to have two paragraphs of text about a past issue with a competitor's product (even if you own one) and then post a video as evidence of a completely different product. And I stand by that. A simple disclaimer would have been appropriate. That's it, nothing more. I apologize if that wasn't clear from my original post.

I get that you're in a tough spot here. You've brought some great group buys to the community, and you take a lot of heat every time Streamline messes up.
Jump to top speedblind_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 07:47:01 PM   #1187
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedblind_az View Post
You're constructing and responding to straw man arguments based on things I never wrote.

I never implied that the whistle wasn't ever a problem. And I never wrote that any airbox is "perfect" or "can't be improved upon."

I do think it's misleading to have two paragraphs of text about a past issue with a competitor's product (even if you own one) and then post a video as of a completely different product. And I stand by that. A simple disclaimer would have been appropriate. That's it, nothing more. I apologize if that wasn't clear from my original post.

I get that you're in a tough spot here. You've brought some great group buys to the community, and you take a lot of heat every time Streamline messes up.
I appreciate your constructive criticism, it doesn't fall on deaf ears. I hope you find the addition of my disclaimer to that post to your satisfaction. Thank you for bringing it to my attention that any confusion about this existed in your (or anyone else's) mind. My intention was not to aid in confusion -- rather it was the opposite. I wasn't aware prior to your message that any confusion about this existed, but a disclaimer has been added at your request.

And no worries, I am not in a tough spot. I am enjoying myself and the journey. Believe me, if I found this at all stressful for myself, then I would politely decline my participation here on this forum, outside of normal posting/lurking behavior. Believe it or not, projects like this are my "escape" and form of stress release from the real world...

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Jul-20-2018 at 08:02:40 PM.
Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 12:34:36 AM   #1188
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Have any customers/testers got theirs yet or is the only one on Anthony’s car??
Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 12:37:02 AM   #1189
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post
Have any customers/testers got theirs yet or is the only one on Anthony’s car??
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ght=Streamline

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-26-2018, 02:32:13 PM   #1190
F360C

United States

Airbox is looking great!

Do anybody have a ballpark idea of when the group buy for the non-preproduction boxes will start? September?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
SuperSprint Race Exhaust|APEX ARC-8|OEM Aero side sills|Ultimate Pedals|OEM CF Lip|AFE Intake|RPI Scoop|ESS Software|Headers without cats|PF-06|GC Coilovers 600/750| GC Race Sway bars| Turner Power Pulleys|SuperSprint X-Pipe|Rogue Short Shifter|
Jump to top F360C is offline   Reply With Quote