BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Thu, Jun-10-2004, 02:11:38 PM   #1
Benoit

Default Hints For 2hand E46 M3

hello all,

I am looking forward to buy a 2nd hand M3 E46 in some time. BMW reputation in Europe is quite good, whether it's about the car itself or the service, but, still, I would like to have opinions from the people who use it regularly.
Most of all, I'd be interested to know what are the "hot spots" to look at when buying this car in 2nd hand in order not to be fooled by hidden traps.

As for the eternal question between SMG and Manual, the only one I have is : how long does the clutch stand on an SMG version ? For the Ferrari 360 F1, I read many times that it quits quite quickly, some owners having to replace it after 5000 miles !

thanks for the help

Benoit - Brussels, Belgium
Jump to top Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-13-2004, 08:43:40 AM   #2
Z rated
Canaduh section! Just doo it

i dont think ive ever heard of a problem with the clutch burning out with smg. remember all the clutch action is done by computer, and theres people on the board who do launch control on a regular basis. but i just realized that youre probably going to be getting a euro m3, so launch is higher. But either way i dont think you shoudl b worried about the clutch if youre going with the smg route.
A few things you could do to check how the m has been treated by its owner is some very basic things. Check to see if theres lots of scratches where the key goes into the ignition. Check the tires for uneven wear, if you want you can take the m to any bmw service department and they can hook it up to a computer which will tell them if the car has been abused. Realize however, that the m is a car that needs to be driven hard. You can be almost 100% sure that the previous owner would have pushed its limits.

Sig courtesy of Pasta
Jump to top Z rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-17-2004, 09:52:57 PM   #3
acitydweller
Laguna Seca dream come true

check for body work. measure the wheel gaps at each wheel for consistency, notice the fitment of each body panel and if there is irregular gap spacing between body panels, check the paint finish. Bmw's have a signature orange peel texture to the paint so look for that to see if any possible body work was done.

remember to check the manufactured date and be sure that the car still has valid maintenance or bumper to bumper waranty available.

if possible, drive other m3's of the same generation to get a feel of the shifting and road handling. This will help familiarize you with what other M's are supposed to drive like.
Jump to top acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote