BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-20-2018, 04:33:34 PM   #41
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Input on possible CSL bumper and trunk creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperM3 View Post
How so?
Bumper shocks are heavier than the kevlar support
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 04:51:22 PM   #42
speedblind_az

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
IMO there's no reason to change it up (extra hole, shaved, whatever)-- that'll just result in less people buying it. I know either would be a deal breaker for me.

People just want a solid option that
-consistently fits properly
-looks stock (including no chubby chipmunk cheeks)
-works with the carbon carrier
-has a reasonable price

Get the 4 above done, and you'll sell a ton of them.
This. All of it. We've seen what happens when trying to please everyone in other development threads. The heart of the market is people that want to replicate the OE CSL as easily as possible. The airbox GB threads prove there are a lot of people that own this car and are ready to spend real money chasing that.

There will always be people that want something more custom. They can do that starting with a perfect OE bumper replica and a talented body shop.

Always hard to gauge in these threads who's a real buyer and who's a vocal but ultimately disinterested party. Aim for the middle and it will sort itself out.
Jump to top speedblind_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 04:48:18 AM   #43
Dee514

Tibet

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Oem csl bumper uses an integrated carrier. The form factor of the integrated carrier is similar to aluminum carrier. This means it issues the identical bumper shocks, water bottle and asa bolts.

Is that the bumper you sold me
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 04:49:29 AM   #44
Dee514

Tibet

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_e46 View Post
Provided the consistency is there and it comes out with the promised fitment, I'm all in!
Would be something he would have test fitted multiple times, much like the diffuser and lips he created.

-derek
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 05:30:21 AM   #45
Dee514

Tibet

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedblind_az View Post
This. All of it. We've seen what happens when trying to please everyone in other development threads. The heart of the market is people that want to replicate the OE CSL as easily as possible. The airbox GB threads prove there are a lot of people that own this car and are ready to spend real money chasing that.

There will always be people that want something more custom. They can do that starting with a perfect OE bumper replica and a talented body shop.

Always hard to gauge in these threads who's a real buyer and who's a vocal but ultimately disinterested party. Aim for the middle and it will sort itself out.
Totally agree with you and thanks. It will always be tough to see who will buy, and who will bow out expecting eBay prices for something that is miles away better. The aging platform hasn't helped, my PMs get full with random messages of "$200 for the diffuser, PayPal ready, your loss...etc etc" It is very funny but annoying at times, as everyone cannot be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldysingh View Post
I'd be interested on the csl bumper, would you be willing to work with shipping to the UK?
I could possibly arrange a group buy.
I'm sure that could be done, as it would be cheaper to ship a bunch together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran.stum View Post
Iíd be in for one! Due to my experience with other companies, Iíll wait to see how the first few batches do. Hopefully these are as good as the other products look!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
Would be in for a front bumper. (OE CSL copy)

Possibly a trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
IMO there's no reason to change it up (extra hole, shaved, whatever)-- that'll just result in less people buying it. I know either would be a deal breaker for me.

People just want a solid option that
-consistently fits properly
-looks stock (including no chubby chipmunk cheeks)
-works with the carbon carrier
-has a reasonable price

Get the 4 above done, and you'll sell a ton of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I would prefer an exact OE copy, which would use an aluminum carrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa74f View Post
If someone could replicate the OE 100% and fitment was perfect then they would make mucho deniro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
OE CSL for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle90 View Post
No need to overthink this. Just replicate the oem csl mounting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
As long as fitment is better than streamlineís..

A well-fitting CSL bumper is what Iíve been waiting for, so hopefully that can be done. I can wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSLM3Wannabi View Post
Shaved CSL bumper, trunk lid, and rear diffuser all in 2x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Well you already know what I want lol. CSL bumper as close to the real thing as possible, in every way. And thanks again for doing this for the M community, we really need good quality CSL replica options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3isalan View Post
If we could use our existing support/foam, that'd be huge. Would definitely be in for a standard style CSL bumper with 1-piece lip if that were the case. Also would buy the CSL trunk if fitment was on point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjvr View Post
If you can provide a properly fitting bumper that is identical to the OE option and can be produced consistently, you will find interest in the community. As right now it's either OEM CSL parts ($$$) or cheaply made Chinese garbage.
After reading the comments, JC says he eventually will start with making a copy of the original OE CSL bumper, with the one hole and tow hook, integrated carrier and side brackets for the cars that came with the aluminum carriers. What is nice is he already has created 2 types of flippers and a lip, that will be the options. Have it test fitted etc for earlier M3s.

From there, it would be easy for him to create the other options on a separate mold that may sell, such as the dual hole or shaved versions, if there is a large enough demand to make them.

Does anyone have any idea where to get the kevlar foam carriers from the later models? This would help him in creating a mold of the bumper to fit those.

Would it be better to just create the shell which you can slide over your existing kevlar carriers?

Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work on the kevlar models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Dream View Post
I think as long as he creates a properly fitting CSL bumper it will be a home run for this community. What we lack is not only options for a good bumper, but even if good options come to light consistency in production seems to be lacking.

That being said, personally I think most members here would prefer a OEM CSL style front bumper, haven't seen many with shaved options. Option for splitter would be welcome as many community members in past have seemed that option.

So far I like what I've seen from your friend in the other thread. Not only is he taking his time on creating a proper product, but he is seeking opinions on how to improve whatever product comes down the line. Whenever he decides to start working on this, put me down for one, and I will gladly help with testing in anyway possible.
Appreciate the kind words and will keep you in mind when he starts producing his prototypes
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 06:48:52 AM   #46
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee514 View Post
Is that the bumper you sold me

It’s actually the Oem csl bumper I have today this is the thread that started my Oem CSL Whoore-ness

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=52731

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 11:04:10 AM   #47
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee514 View Post
Would it be better to just create the shell which you can slide over your existing kevlar carriers?

Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work on the kevlar models?
100% yes. If it wasn't clear, that's what terra and I were arguing for.

If you want to make it with the Kevlar carrier, just recreate, or allow to be transferred over, the internal structure of the stock bumper on cars that came with the kevlar carrier

This would both be a market niche that nobody is currently filling (plug and play with kevlar carrier cars) AND would be lighter than other solutions on the market. Even cars that didn't come with the Kevlar carrier stock should be able to source one relatively easily at this point in the M3's life, from cars getting parted out-- certainly not significantly more difficult than sourcing bumper shocks (car that's didn't come with it). Plus, a larger portion of the audience looking to buy this is likely coming from kevlar carrier bumper cars.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Fri, May-25-2018 at 02:23:46 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 02:18:03 PM   #48
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

I think the basic idea would be to have the CSL external shape, but instead of a built in structural carrier, it can accomodate this foam/suction cup thing:

Now if the foam/suction cup thing can be replicated that would be awesome, but otherwise having to harvest it from the stock bumper isn't the worst thing in the world IMO.

Last edited by terraphantm; Fri, May-25-2018 at 02:24:34 PM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 02:25:08 PM   #49
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I think the basic idea would be to have the CSL external shape, but instead of a built in structural carrier, it can accomodate this foam/suction cup thing:

Now if the foam/suction cup thing can be replicated that would be awesome, but otherwise having to harvest it from the stock bumper isn't the worst thing in the world IMO.
Yep!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-25-2018, 10:29:49 PM   #50
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

i believe the foam can also be molded from the oem foam. the suction pieces can be sourced or harvested from a donor bumper.

one issue would be the thickness of the foam required as that controls the depth of bumper when attached. i harvested my foam insert when i created my first VCSL bumper back in the day. the hardest part was fitting it to look oem. some how harvesting the foam insert and gluing it into the VCSL bumper was not as straight forward as i thought. perhaps the curvature of the vcsl bumper was slightly off, but i had to shave off a few mm of the foam to get it to sit correctly into the kevlar carrier. but yes, this would be a great approach.

i later sold my VCSL bumper to forum member FB but i believe this was the very first foam/kevlar CSL bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post

Tischer aka GetBmwParts

Last edited by daytonaviolet; Fri, May-25-2018 at 10:38:33 PM.
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote