BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, May-11-2017, 03:32:39 AM   #21
DTMdan

United States

Default Re: DTMdan's Silver Grey 2004 E46 M3 "Emma"

5/9/17: DIY'd "CSL" intake tubing

So the OEM CSL intake tube did not fit over the replica bumper's hole. It was actually the same diameter... so I found a flexible hose connector piece at Lowe's. I just attached it to the intake tube using some tape, which slides snugly over the bumper inlet hole. I then reused the intake tube that split off from the driver side brake duct (oem u.s. bumper). Well it was about 3-4" short of reaching the height that I was hoping for (to aim directly towards the stacks). So I went to the hardware store and found a 3" hose connector piece that fit over both oem pieces. Really happy with how clean and "factory-looking" it turned out. It did make a noticeable difference in driving as well.

Next up is creating a custom 3D printed piece to mimic the oem part that originally connected the kidney grill duct to the airbox... but I wanted to relocate the outlet from the bottom to the back to aim the air towards the stacks better.

2004 M3 Silver Grey / Black / 6MT
OEM ZCP wheels OEM CSL Trunk CSL front bumper (rep) CAtuned coilovers Kassel Performance tune Turner underdrive pulleys Manzo headers Status Gruppe sec. 1 rasp eliminator, SCZA muffler, CSL diffuser

Last edited by DTMdan; Thu, May-11-2017 at 03:39:14 AM.
Jump to top DTMdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 03:40:35 AM   #22
ARM3D

In the garage:

Ukraine

Those photos of the model CSL and your car are awesome!

Jump to top ARM3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 03:41:21 AM   #23
DTMdan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
No matter how many times done over, CSL look will never get old; great pictures! Might I suggest the newer style BMW center caps for those ZCPs
True, I guess they do look a little dated.

OEM ZCP wheels OEM CSL Trunk CSL front bumper (rep) CAtuned coilovers Kassel Performance tune Turner underdrive pulleys Manzo headers Status Gruppe sec. 1 rasp eliminator, SCZA muffler, CSL diffuser

Old Thu, May-11-2017, 05:38:28 AM   #24
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMdan View Post
5/9/17: DIY'd "CSL" intake tubing

So the OEM CSL intake tube did not fit over the replica bumper's hole. It was actually the same diameter... so I found a flexible hose connector piece at Lowe's. I just attached it to the intake tube using some tape, which slides snugly over the bumper inlet hole. I then reused the intake tube that split off from the driver side brake duct (oem u.s. bumper). Well it was about 3-4" short of reaching the height that I was hoping for (to aim directly towards the stacks). So I went to the hardware store and found a 3" hose connector piece that fit over both oem pieces. Really happy with how clean and "factory-looking" it turned out. It did make a noticeable difference in driving as well.

Next up is creating a custom 3D printed piece to mimic the oem part that originally connected the kidney grill duct to the airbox... but I wanted to relocate the outlet from the bottom to the back to aim the air towards the stacks better.
Very Nicely done, Now just cover that exit hole with some mesh so debris doesnt shoot into the trumpets.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 01:41:19 PM   #25
DTMdan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Very Nicely done, Now just cover that exit hole with some mesh so debris doesnt shoot into the trumpets.
Thanks. Yeah I have a filter directly behind the bumper inlet and one in between the 3" hose / top piece.

David from 2M Autowerks also sent out a trumpet to to see if bbrfilters.com could make some custom filters for us.

Old Thu, May-11-2017, 01:45:08 PM   #26
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

That looks awesome! If i lived in nicer climate i would have done this conversion too but in this hear and humidity it'll turn the car into a right dog.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 01:54:22 PM   #27
e39hamann

United States

Looks awesome as always! Can't wait to see the new mods in person Dan
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 02:01:36 PM   #28
legacyej25

United States

Love the pictures with the model car!
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 03:16:22 PM   #29
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Looking great Dan. A MPRacing oil filter cap would compliment your engine bay well
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 03:37:38 PM   #30
S54VAGE

United States

Mind me asking what rep bumper that is? Looks great