BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-28-2011, 04:27:04 PM   #1
sidvall

United States

Default Sunroof Malfunction

Hey guys,

I was driving my car the other day and the sunroof made a clicking noise and opened to the vent position, by itself...I did NOT touch the buttons nor was there anyone else in the car. I tried to close it but it refused to close stayed on vent the whole way back.

Once in my garage I got it to close but it opened up as soon as I turned my headlights off or when I take my key out of the ignition.

Next morning I turned the car on and its not acting up anymore...any ideas of whats going on?

BTW I recently installed angel eyes from Khoality. Maybe I did not tap the wire perfectly? Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Old Fri, Oct-28-2011, 07:04:23 PM   #2
M3Blurr
Turd bro S54 retard!

United States

Default Re: Sunroof Malfunction

I would recheck all connections on your angel fries. Did you solder and shrink wrap them?
Old Fri, Oct-28-2011, 07:08:52 PM   #3
GRKM3

In the garage:

United States

I had a similar issue. A CSL roof solved it for me.
Mods :VFE Stage 2 SC, SS Ceramic Coated Stepped Headers, S-Pipe, X-Pipe,TMS Subframe Reinforcement, KWV2 Coilovers, TMS Camber Plates, Powerflex RTAB's, Rogue RSM's, ZCP F/R Brakes, OEM CSL Roof, VCSL D/S Carbon Trunk, diffuser and bumper, Armrest Delete, carbon mirror shells, OEM LED tail lights, BBS CH, Alcantara steering wheel, Armrest delete, Valentine V1, Laser Interceptor...

5D Mark III | 24-70 2.8 IIL | 17-40 4L | 50 1.8II | 580EXII

Jump to top GRKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-28-2011, 07:13:58 PM   #4
sidvall

United States

I'm going to go over them this weekend. I will let you guys know what is going on after I look into it.
GRKM3 did you ever figure out what was causing it or did you switch before you looked into it.
Old Fri, Oct-28-2011, 08:07:31 PM   #5
GRKM3

In the garage:

United States

never solved the issue but ive had electrical gremlins in the past. ie: cluster would stay alive even without the key.
Mods :VFE Stage 2 SC, SS Ceramic Coated Stepped Headers, S-Pipe, X-Pipe,TMS Subframe Reinforcement, KWV2 Coilovers, TMS Camber Plates, Powerflex RTAB's, Rogue RSM's, ZCP F/R Brakes, OEM CSL Roof, VCSL D/S Carbon Trunk, diffuser and bumper, Armrest Delete, carbon mirror shells, OEM LED tail lights, BBS CH, Alcantara steering wheel, Armrest delete, Valentine V1, Laser Interceptor...

5D Mark III | 24-70 2.8 IIL | 17-40 4L | 50 1.8II | 580EXII

Jump to top GRKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-29-2011, 03:35:07 AM   #6
70chevelle

In the garage:

United States

well, if it ends up being your motor then I've got one that I pulled off my car that I'd let go of for cheap
Jump to top 70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-01-2012, 06:26:23 PM   #7
HRD SEL
aka G35stilez

United States

Back from the dead...

I had the same problem occur last night.

The only correlation I can draw was using the unlock and hold feature that puts all of the windows down and opens the sunroof. I used it for the first time in months yesterday and moved the sunroof back to vent once in the car. When I got home, I heard the clicking and the button wouldn't respond. Did the same thing when I drove it last night, although did close on its own for about a minute, then went back to vent. Wouldn't budge this morning and made the clicking sound.

I've had a couple of gremlins in the past, but if anyone has diagnosed this, your advice is much appreciated.
Jump to top HRD SEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-01-2012, 07:53:31 PM   #8
sidvall

United States

^ Your issue is different. Read more here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=660632

Mine...no idea yet. It happens very rarely and intermittently so I basically live with the fact that "there is a ghost in my sunroof" lol
Old Thu, Aug-02-2012, 04:36:46 PM   #9
HRD SEL
aka G35stilez

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvall View Post
^ Your issue is different. Read more here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=660632

Mine...no idea yet. It happens very rarely and intermittently so I basically live with the fact that "there is a ghost in my sunroof" lol
Thanks for the insight.

Mine is a little bit different as the alignment is fine and I recently fixed my sunroof clips (and greased accordingly). It acted up a bit more over the past day but at points it stayed closed. Once closed, I did the "resetting" feature by holding the button forward for 30-45 seconds. I will see if this fixes the problem.
Jump to top HRD SEL is offline   Reply With Quote