BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Other BMW M Models > M Coupe/Roadster (1997-2002, 2006-200?)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Thu, Sep-30-2010, 11:24:15 PM   #1
NUBEM3

United States

Exclamation Ammeter Indicates Charging Continuously

Hi,
Tried to search the forum for my question and couldn't get any thing. Must not have put it in right. So, please excuse if this has been beaten to death before.
I recently purchased, privately, a 2000 M3 Roadster and am completely new to BMW vehicles.
Within a month of purchase the battery went dead, but I think it had been in for 4 years. During this time the ammeter indicated a 14 volt charge all the time. I was under the impression that it was supposed to charge then move back to around the 12 volt area. I thought since the battery was so old it might be trying to charge it "harder". I put the new battery in and thought the ammeter would work the way I thought, but it is still indicating a 14 volt input and not coming down.
Is the indicated high charge rate normal, is there somthing wrong with the charging system, is the ammeter bad??
I have also run into some comments that these M3's "eat batteries" and that a charger should be kept on them if not driven for awhile. Comment??
Thanks for any info.
Ed
Jump to top NUBEM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-01-2010, 02:53:36 PM   #2
Oldman MZ3

United States

Volt meter should read between 13.7 and 14.2 with a good battery, all the time.
Jump to top Oldman MZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote