BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 09:44:17 PM   #31
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post
Its not in the topic..do u see it in the thread title...NO YOU DONT! THREAD TOP IS AKG vs RTD SHIFTER. Cae is $900 compared to RTD $500 or whatever it is. Frank doesnt want to spwnd that much so it NOT in the topic.

And wtf would RTD send you a free shifter...lol? I for sure as shit wouldnt...you have no credibility. If he said he would send a free shifter to kaiv or someone like that then it would be different. What kind of tests are you going to do and how are you going to prove that this is better worse or just as good as cae?

That shifter is old af that you pictured for comparison, basically rtd startup shifter so its years old. They have come very far in improving the shifter even from the original one i have. They are only going to get better. There is so many differences you cant even compare them. Talking about the new shifter here. I dont even know if they sell the lockout anymore.

Glad he didnt give you a free shifter cuase thats exactly what you want....this isnt the first time youve tried something like this. Your a freeloader lookin for a handout thats all....and annoying at that.

Frank save yourself some coin and get an rtd...you wont regret it.
You sound angry. Go drive your car, calm down, and come back to the discussion.

Read the screen capture. I have asked for nothing. When I shared my thoughts on facebook, I had no idea the 'CEO' was part of the Private FB group. He reached out to me. Don't take my word, the message was direct posted above. I did not reach out to him. I never once asked for anything. I have no idea why he would want to send me something for free. As far as being a "free-loader" looking for a free shifter, it was planned to be tested on another E46 M3 (6-speed) that I have available to me locally and not on my own daily driver (which is an SMG)...So no...You are wrong, I have no horse in this race and am looking for NOTHING for free, especially a shifter.

And as far as this not being the first time "I have tried something like this"....What are you even talking about? Direct quote/source or STFU. My history on here stands for itself. Read any number of my threads (or don't, I don't care).

This thread really got derailed fast (sorry Frank, that REALLY was not my intentions at all), thanks for the personal attacks Skillzo1 and please, take your lithium.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 09:50:09 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 09:48:55 PM   #32
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
You sound angry. Go drive your car, calm down, and come back to the discussion.

Read the screen capture. I have asked for nothing. When I shared my thoughts on facebook, I had no idea the 'CEO' was part of the Private FB group. He reached out to me. Don't take my word, the message was direct posted above. I did not reach out to him. I never once asked for anything. As far as being a "free-loader" looking for a free shifter, it was planned to be tested on another E46 M3 (6-speed) that I have available to me locally and not on my own daily driver (which is an SMG)...So no...You are wrong.

And as far as this not being the first time "I have tried something like this"....What are you even talking about? Direct quote/source or STFU. My history on here stands for itself.

This thread really got derailed fast (sorry Frank, that REALLY was not my intentions at all), thanks for the personal attacks Skillzo1 and please, take your lithium.
Personal attacks lmao...manup dude.
Like i said freeloader...lookin for a handout....take care.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768

Last edited by skillzo1; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 09:52:32 PM.
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 10:43:55 PM   #33
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

Let me clarify... if you don't have experience with either shifter, please refrain from commenting. I want to keep this thread ON TOPIC.

Thanks!
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@E46_M3_Owners_Of_The_World
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 11:01:21 PM   #34
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

I have the AKG, have not tried RTD/CAE.

The AKG took some getting used to, because at first I was mistaking notchiness for crunchiness. Turns out it was just that much more direct in feel and I was worried over nothing.

Shifts fine for me, mostly track car, bimmerworld rubber motor mounts and oe rubber trans mounts, refreshed detents/drifts on the ZF/5. No issues shifting in corners when needed.

I bought mine used, so given the price delta to the more legit shifters, I have zero complaints.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 11:30:08 PM   #35
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastSicilian View Post
Let me clarify... if you don't have experience with either shifter, please refrain from commenting. I want to keep this thread ON TOPIC.
Fair enough.

I've got the non-lockout RTD race shifter in raw aluminum in my track car. It's about a year old now and has 4500 miles and 15 track days with no issues.

I'm very happy with the product. The quality and performance exceeded my expectations for the price I paid at the time. It was a gamble because no one really knew about this company and it looked like a similar design to the CAE. I figured I would risk it and it was totally worth it.

I can't comment on the AKG, but the RTD isn't a short shifter per se but it maintains the correct OEM throw geometry. It's taken into account in the design even though the length of the shifter is longer.

I would imagine the "mini" version would actually work like a short shifter since the length of the arm would be shorter.

I installed this with my refreshed trans as well and it's pretty great.

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-08-2017, 12:02:42 AM   #36
SQ13

United States

I find it funny that the guy who coordinated the RTD group buy is getting bitchy because his friendís product got attacked. Freeloader? Rofl. I read the thread on Facebook, and Maher made the free shifter offer, without being asked for it.

I am not recommending one over the other. But the ridiculous accusations and obvious bias is retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
I can't comment on the AKG, but the RTD isn't a short shifter per se but it maintains the correct OEM throw geometry. It's taken into account in the design even though the length of the shifter is longer.

I would imagine the "mini" version would actually work like a short shifter since the length of the arm would be shorter.

I installed this with my refreshed trans as well and it's pretty great.

But throws are shorter than stock, right?!
Old Fri, Dec-08-2017, 12:18:17 AM   #37
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
But throws are shorter than stock, right?!
I don't believe so, it's not a short shifter. I would say it's the same distance as OEM just closer to the wheel and considerably more precise with a centering spring.

Clear view of the throw here:

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-08-2017, 03:16:46 AM   #38
Namniek

United States

For a weekend/rarely tracked car I would choose Autosolutions over anything else available. Solid shifters are ridiculous overkill for anything but a track car.

That said, I've had an AKG in my car for 2 years now. 20k miles and around 20 track days. It's great on track and the simple design takes a beating. Zero missed shifts too...

I'd like to drive/compare the CAE and the RTD shifters (I've sat in nholmes' car with the RTD but need to drive one). Can't speak to either of those shifters.

▪MMI Vehicle Systems▪
▪Chicane Motorsport▪

IG: @Namniek
Jump to top Namniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-08-2017, 05:25:05 AM   #39
TheWarHammer

United States

I don't understand the "knock off" comment. There are only so many ways an isolated race shifter can be designed. CAE, RTD, Samsonas. They all follow the same basic principle which is to make the shifter part of the chassis as opposed to part of the moving drivetrain. Samsonas resembles the basic design of both the RTD and the CAE. Samsonas makes full sequential, dog boxes, you name it and they make it. Are we going to call them a knock off too? No we are not because that would be foolish.

So coming from a person who has used all of the following shifters: CAE, RTD, Samsonas, UUC evo3, BMW Performance. UUC and BMW performance shifter are shit. Any stock style shifter is not going to feel nearly as good because you are still using BMW's flawed shifting setup.

RTD and CAE feel identical. They are a very similar design so they should. The only reason samsonas feels any different to me is because the entire shifter is machined from a solid block of aluminum and there is no shift knob. Its just metal. Hellish. If it had a shift knob it would feel the same as all the other trash.

For me, if its between RTD and CAE, i'm getting RTD because there are no advantages to the CAE for the extra money. There is no engineering marvel that makes the CAE worth another $300-400 or whatever it is.
Old Fri, Dec-08-2017, 09:13:34 PM   #40
gabylonfive

In the garage:

United States

i have the AKG in my track car (full kit w DSSR) and love it. It's a super simple but effective design, and like previously mentioned takes a beating without any fuss.

I've driven a CAE-equipped car before and will say that I do sometimes miss the reverse-lockout for fast 4-3-2 downshifts (ex. turn 11 at Laguna, 7 at Thill west.) On rare occasions I'll get through the reverse spring going into second and will miss that shift before corner exit. If i had the lockout it would be a non-issue, but it's not worth the extra $500 to me, at least for HPDE purposes.
2001 5MT 330i Sedan Track Car[Jet Black // #318]

Last edited by gabylonfive; Fri, Dec-08-2017 at 09:18:33 PM.
Jump to top gabylonfive is offline   Reply With Quote