BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-02-2012, 11:50:31 PM   #1
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Thumbs up ESS NA Tune + VALET MODE

It was my birthday recently (29!!) and my brother got me the ESS NA tune.

I've been reading about ESS since before I got the M3 and was quite clear that I only wanted them to tune -and eventually supercharge- my Ms. There's a lot of good vibes about Evolve in this forum and I briefly considered switching, but in the end I decided to go ESS anyway.
These guys build the superchargers for my current E46M and my future E9xM and have sold +300 kits without blowing a single engine. For me there is a single option when supercharging and it's them. Besides, who hasn't seen the 'Loaded' vid?

The install has been beaten to death but I might as well go over it again: you receive a cable and a thumbdrive that has the flashing program. You follow the instructions and get your stock tune onto the flashdrive which you then send to ESS.

My laptop runs Win7 (x64) and didn't work with the OBDII connector. Luckily I had an older laptop with Win7 x32 and that worked fine.

I didn't find a list of things which could be coded on the documentation ESS provided, so I wrote Asbjorn and stated that I wanted:

-93 specific tune (I also requested the 91 tune as the 93 won't adapt to 89 which is sometimes all you get while driving in the boonies)
-8200 rpm limit in all gears
-Shift lights (not possible as mine is 10/2001)
-Cold start removed (I positively hate the cold start. It sounds mean but the car drives like sh!t until warm)
-Less sensitive O2 sensors
-Completely linear throttle pedal

What I got from Asbjorn:
-93 + 91 tunes. This was very nice of them as now I'll have an extra tune which can be loaded for a cross country trip. No extra charge!

I drove it around a bit, checked for codes (the tool allows you to check/clear engine codes), saw there were none and kept driving!

Tune Impressions after 200 miles:
Wow, I wish I had done this sooner! It feels immensely better! The midrange and top range feels more powerful than before and the throttle is less of an on/off switch. I absolutely, positively love it.
-The linear throttle pedal is an absolute must. Up to now I had a very annoying surge of power when WOT and the engine crossed the 2000rpm mark. This made it hard to drive smoothly and felt like a crude VTEC kicking in. Now it's completely linear! So much easier to drive smoothly!!
-The 8200 rpm limit will be used very few times but nice to have anyway
-The cold start removal is wonderful. The engine still growls and idles higher while warming up but no longer surges and lurches making you look like an idiot.
-The O2 sensors will come in handy later on when I switch to Euro headers.

Valet Mode=Winter/GF Mode:
I have nightmares of giving my car to a valet. I've never handed the M keys to anyone but I know the day will come. So, I wanted to set up a valet mode. I got it in two steps
Step1: I told Asbjorn I wanted a 25% power mode that would activate when the Sport button came on and which would stay on even after restarting the car.
He told me he hadn't done it before, but after a few hours I got both the 93 and 91 tunes with 25% power in the Sport button.
Impressions: It feels like a bicycle and just has no power whatsoever. Enough to get out of your own way but it feels very artificial.
Step2: I told this Asbjorn and he replied that he had made a new version which recreated the euro-320i (150-170hp) map. This isn't a direct load of the 320i map, it's simply a map for the S54 that makes it feel like it has 50% of the power.
This is completely AWESOME! The throttle is linear and it simply develops half the horses in a very progressive way, just like a 320i!
Next time it snows I will definitely use this!

So that's all folks. They gave some great customer service and their tune is fantastic. I haven't tried all the tunes out there but these guys' results speak for themselves.

SYT_Shadow

EDIT 3/22/2015:
Finally got the car dyno'd. You can see both the regular and valet mode curves!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; Sun, Mar-22-2015 at 02:08:28 PM.
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:11:38 AM   #2
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Default Re: ESS NA Tune + VALET MODE

Great review man! I'm glad you chose a tune that you would enjoy.

Nice choice requesting a valet mode!

So did Asbjorn program the Euro320i map to be activated via the Sport Button or every time you valet park you have to flash the car?

Thanks again for sharing! You should go grab some dynos to show us what power ESS extracts!

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:21:28 AM   #3
xdaznboi

In the garage:

United States

Wow! ESS FTW!

So if the Valet Mode utilizes the sport button, is there any other way to turn sport mode on?
JVT rep Headers | KW V3| Ground Control Camber Plate|B&B Exhaust| AR 25 Resonator | Black Out Kit |CSL Diffuser| BMW Motorsport 4.10 | Work VS-XX | MOTORSPORT HARDWARE Stud Conversion Kit | AVT Air Scoop | Illuminated Door Sills | VF Engineering Stage 2 | Dr Vanos Cryogenically Treated Hub | Ignition Projects Plasma Coils | Vorsteiner CSL w/ One Piece Splitter | Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Extension | Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap | Hardwired V1

451.04 WHP 305.46 TQ SAE 91 Pump Gas

Jump to top xdaznboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:27:17 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Great review man! I'm glad you chose a tune that you would enjoy.

Nice choice requesting a valet mode!

So did Asbjorn program the Euro320i map to be activated via the Sport Button or every time you valet park you have to flash the car?

Thanks again for sharing! You should go grab some dynos to show us what power ESS extracts!
Thanks

The 320i map resides in the Sport memory button, so whenever I press it that's the map that gets activated and stays like that until you press the button again.

I know, I should have dyno'd, but I'm in the middle of nowhere for the next months and have nothing nearby.
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:27:55 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaznboi View Post
Wow! ESS FTW!

So if the Valet Mode utilizes the sport button, is there any other way to turn sport mode on?
Nopes. I never used the Sport button before as I find it's much easier to learn how to double clutch and shift aggressively with a linear pedal.
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:30:26 AM   #6
gojcaj
Cool like a fool in a swimming pool

Albania

Great review. Glad you're happy. Do a dyno pull with the valet mode on. Hype up the shop and tell them you did a bunch of mods and are expecting 300whp. Watch the confusion

Sold
O|||||||O - 2014 Jeep JKURX
Jump to top gojcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:35:43 AM   #7
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Thanks

The 320i map resides in the Sport memory button, so whenever I press it that's the map that gets activated and stays like that until you press the button again.

I know, I should have dyno'd, but I'm in the middle of nowhere for the next months and have nothing nearby.
Very cool man!

I apologize for all the questions. Would it be possible to confirm again.

Did Asbjorn use solely the throttle map of the Euro 320i or did he actually provide a completely separate map for the whole DME programmed via the Sport Button?

Complete Map meaning, throttle, vanos, fuel, ignion, torque, etc...

Thanks again! hahaha, I would LOVE to see a dyno comparing Valet vs Normal. That would be so funny.

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 01:45:19 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojcaj View Post
Great review. Glad you're happy. Do a dyno pull with the valet mode on. Hype up the shop and tell them you did a bunch of mods and are expecting 300whp. Watch the confusion
don't give me any ideas LOL
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 02:41:45 AM   #9
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojcaj View Post
This! LOL!

OP good write up. The valet mode is really a cool feature indeed.
Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-03-2012, 02:52:27 AM   #10
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

CSL redline is 8000 rpm.

I enjoyed my ESS tune when I had it.

My valet mode idea has made it into a car!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote