BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Wed, Apr-25-2012, 06:31:58 PM   #1
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Default Thinking Headers For My Dinan SC

I currently have the Dinan SC (non-aftercooled, but with ITBs, exhaust, etc). It seems like from here, there are 2 routes for more power: The aftercooler kit, which at a whopping $8500 adds the intercooler, fuel pump, oil cooler, extra pound of boost, and updated software - 40hp/10tq. OR, adding headers ($1500 for AP V2 with Euro200r).

On NA cars, headers like these should see gains of 20hp/20tq. With the Euro200r, software is not needed though recommended.

I am wondering what gains are expected on a blown set up? Same? More, less?
Will my software need updating? IIRC, Dinan runs very (too) rich. How will headers effect this?

I don't track my car so I don't think the oil cooler is necessary. I like the idea of not upping the boost, which means the fuel pump is a wash. The intercooler/aftercooler would be nice for cooler air, but won't justify the rest. $$/hp strongly favors the headers, just wondering if gains are comparable on blown cars and if my Dinan software will need to be adjusted.

Thanks!

\\\WyattH's Journal

Last edited by WyattH; Wed, Apr-25-2012 at 06:41:00 PM.
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-27-2012, 02:45:17 AM   #2
Frankenstein M3
M3 Unleashed

United States

Default Re: Thinking Headers For My Dinan SC

ideally you would want to do both. but the headers depending on what set up you go with will get you anywhere between 10-20whp. This will depend on the header design, if you go catless or 400cell cats vs 200cell.

headers will not give you 20lb of torque FI or NA. it will be closer to 9lb of crank torque on a NA car and perhaps 12 on a FI.

If I were you,

I would run the 5.5psi pulley probably 2 size down from where you are at with a custom tune. You should also run meth for hot summer days.

11:5:1 Compression
Rotrex C38-92 *SuperSprint Stepped V1*Aeromotive
//HPF*ATI Damper*RE* SGT
KW3*H&R*Ground Control*DBA T3 Rotors*SS lines
42 Design*Vorsteiner*Bimmian*Apex*//M-Alcantara
Arrow Rods*Weisco Pistons*ARP*Aquamist*Mishimoto

Last edited by Frankenstein M3; Fri, Apr-27-2012 at 02:51:00 AM.
Jump to top Frankenstein M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-28-2012, 06:49:50 PM   #3
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the reply!
Probably won't up boost anytime soon. Headers will be the next power mod, but not urgent. I just got a CPI RT v3 (section 1) so at some point I will replace it and either go Euro headers/1 or AP V2 headers and Euro200r (more likely). Was just curious if the headers would effect the tune at all since I think Dinan already runs pretty rich. Might do custom tune down the road if/when I up the boost at all, but since it's all calibrated together as it sits now, not worth tinkering and messing with some of that stuff.

\\\WyattH's Journal
Old Tue, May-01-2012, 03:26:05 AM   #4
BrokenM3

Reputation: 0 BrokenM3 has much to be proud ofBrokenM3 has much to be proud of

Croatia

Can't go wrong with headers. To give you an idea on power, back in the day when i had the Dinan kit on my car, i put down 360 whp with Jvt/ebay headers...
Jump to top BrokenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-01-2012, 06:32:39 AM   #5
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Sweet. Just ordered a CPI RT3 so I guess I will get some use out of that section 1 before going with headers. I will probably end up with Fabspeed/Euro200r down the road. Glad that no software update is needed; hope they lean it out if anything. Thanks for the #s!

\\\WyattH's Journal