View Single Post
Old Sun, Nov-30-2008, 10:06:51 PM   #13
3rd_Collective

United States

I guess I'll add my issues with the SMG system. A few days ago I was on my way to work and noticed the car had a hard time taking off in 2nd. Felt like it was struggling similar to when you lag the engine in a manual. It was 20 degree whether so I attributed it to the outside temp. I drove a about 100 feet and the car starts sputtering and dies in the middle of the road.

I turn the car off and restart it but now the car is making all sorts of crazy noise and gear indicator is going all over the place; from 2 to 4 or 5. I just want to get it off the road so as not to block traffic. Whenever it went to 5 I shifted it down and it would go to 2 but then go back to 5 all on its own. All the while it sounds like the transmission or engine is about to explode. The smg light is on constant throughout the whole ordeal.

I finally get to a safe area and turn the car off. Waited 5 minutes and attempted to start the car again. Nothing, just smg light. I thought I heard the pump go off but it may have been just the fuel pump. I disconnect the battery for 20 minutes in hopes of a reset. Nothing, just smg light. I disconnect the batter again and wait 60 minutes. Nothing, just smg light. So I have the car towed to my house.

I came on here and found the SMG relay replacement troubleshooting guide and replaced it to no avail. I removed the battery and charged it still no success. I don't know what else I can do short of taking the car to an indy to fully diagnose the problem.

Here's a run down of the symptons:

1. Car stalled then died
2. SMG light constantly on
3. Car does not start or crank ( I think the fuel pump comes on tho)
4. Already replaced the salmon colored relay
5. Brake pedal is really hard
6. Whet through several key cycles which did not resolve the issue
7. I can move the shifter to the left and right but it still reads a 0 on the gear indicator

I did smell a burning odor (seemed electrical) on the day the issue first occured. I've combed over the forums several times to see if there's any other way I can reset the smg ecu besides a batter pull to no avail. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and take the car to a mechanic.