View Single Post
Old Thu, Jun-25-2015, 02:07:38 PM   #32
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Default Re: thoughts on older M3 vs. newer f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
With the M-sport, if you set it to sport or sport+, the steering gets much heavier. It feels much better than comfort mode although still a bit synthetic compared to the e36. The fat steering wheel helps too.

Don't think I'm ready to sell the M3 yet. It was the first new car I ever bought. Sad that it's been relegated to garage queen status (less than 5k in the last 8 years). I DD a 135is, it's fast (and the steering feel is excellent), but the e36 is like nothing else.
Right - so my comments on the 'bad' steering, again, are based strictly on the base/non-M sport model. It's pretty bad.

If, as you say, the M-sport increases weight and gives you the M steering wheel then that (likely) changes things from bad to "pretty good". That was my biggest gripe with 328.

So with the steering "fixed", the real question is how laggy is the 4cyl with a manual trans. On the same token, a manual will give you control over short shifting, keeping you away from the high rpms (I found this to be a difficult with the auto). Could be pretty good.....

228i Msport manual, anyone?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote