View Single Post
Old Mon, Sep-14-2015, 05:20:57 AM   #1
Calbears89

United States

Default New to the forum - my M3 story

As a new forum member, I wanted to say hello and share my story...

25 years ago, I bought a then-new 1990 E30 M3. They were hard to find even back then, so I went to a dealer in Southern California which had the color combo I wanted Ė white/beige.

It was my daily driver for eight years until I ďupgradedĒ to an E36 M3. Instead of sensibly trading in the E30, I lazily left it in an extra parking space at an apartment we rented out. I had every intention of using it from time to time, so didnít prepare it for an unexpected hibernation. The car was in perfect shape, completely stock with 76k miles.

As happens, life got hectic and I moved to London for work, but still expected to be home soon.

Fast forward 15 yearsÖ

Luckily, the car was parked in a covered garage and there was no leftover food lurking under the seats. However, it has been a time capsule with restaurant menus, paper AAA maps (remember them), and a tissue box from the 90s. Obviously, after that much time, there was a fair amount of grime on the body, flat tires, dead battery, and everything youíd expect of a barn (or apartment) car.

The car had always been serviced at Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley, so they helped push the car out of the multi-story garage, onto a flatbed, and over to their shop.

After a surprisingly short stay, the M3 was back to life with new tires, hoses and seals, fluids, wipers, rotors, AC recharge, lights, and plugs along with some new electrics that didnít stand the test of time such as a fuel sending unit, horn, and a few components in the BMW radio. After a test drive and smog check, we found the clutch cylinder had a leak and the o2 sensor needed replacing as did the washer pump. Perhaps a testament to the original build quality, but I expected a much more lengthy process to get it mechanically sound.

At some point over the years, I think someone tried to take the car and damaged the bumper around the rear tow-hook. Thankfully they were unsuccessful and the bumper could be repaired. The interior got a deep clean and there are signs of age, but overall Iím really pleased with how it held up.

I canít say enough great things about the BavPros team for getting the car running and looking great. Iím thrilled to be reunited with an old friend. Although Iím nervous about putting on too many miles, I wonít let it sit again.

Itís old school, but so much fun. Plus the car has held up a lot better over the years than me.

Thanks for following along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M3-1.jpg (313.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg M3-2.jpg (275.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg M3-3.jpg (648.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg M3-4.jpg (571.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg M3-5.jpg (303.2 KB, 170 views)
Jump to top Calbears89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads