View Single Post
Old Tue, Jan-09-2018, 05:42:55 AM   #16
dpaul

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive MSS60 DME Information

Thanks jcolley for the info - yes, "locked" for me is shorthand for can't read the processor internal 512K. I was guessing the "lock" invokes hardware censorship described in the Fresscale MPC563 data sheet. The only documented method of clearing the censor bits also erases the flash module. But maybe I'm completely wrong - I'm neither a hardware nor software engineer. In the end, it doesn't really matter for most kinds of tuning

In any case, you are entitled to be compensated for the work you do and it appears that you've done plenty to further the efforts of others without compensation. I would not ask you to give more.

I have much less experience than most of the contributors here but I am enjoying the process of learning about the MSS60. I can make the following very simple contributions, which likely are already well known to many:

1) The latest available clone KessV2 v 5.017 is a perfectly fine tool for tuning. However, it is necessary to make a "full" read then a "full" write one time before partial writes are successful. After that, changes made to parameter area values are written quickly (~2 minutes) by "partial" writes without checksum errors or other issues. Precisely what is changed by the full read/write is not yet clear to me but there are only a few changes in the (readable) program code.

Offsets in the Kess full read are quite different than those reported by others using BDM or unspecified ODB tools. However, by comparison with 0da/0pa files converted to bin format, it looks to me that all the code/data is there. I believe Kess can read but not write to boot sector/AIF and possibly other areas.

2) There are a slew of 13 x 1 word diagnostic trouble code tables starting at 0xAC2 in the Kess partial read, and another set 64k later on (presumably referencing the other processor). Of particular interest to me are the tables headed by 2789 and 278A, codes for catalytic converter conversion banks 1 and 2. Zeroing out those tables eliminates the CEL if cats are absent and the ODBII readiness flag for that function is never set.

I will spend the remainder of the winter making guesses about ignition, vanos and fueling tables. For obvious reasons, this was all way easier in my E90 335.

Last edited by dpaul; Tue, Jan-09-2018 at 05:57:03 AM.
Jump to top dpaul is offline   Reply With Quote