View Single Post
Old Thu, Dec-20-2007, 05:06:27 PM   #8
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Question - has anyone experienced a radiator failure before 100K miles? While the E36/M3 was/is notorious for radiator failures - I haven't seen or heard of them being widespread on the E46.

I'd suggest changing the belts at 50k miles.. while they look fine from the back that you can see - once they come off you'll see signs of cracking in the rubber teeth.

Belt-idlers are a 100k item (if not noisy before that.)

Tranny and diff are 50k mile items... as spec'd by BMW. The fluids don't become contaminated with combustion byproducts as engine oil does - so 50K should be a safe change interval ("lifetime" on all other BMW models..)

Fuel injectors don't wear much at all - so I think unless you've experienced injector problems, replacing them at 100k is overkill.

O2 sensors are spec'd for 100k - but many of them will happily keep working well beyond that point without any detrimental effects on the engine.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote