BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1992-1999) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   E36 M3 as first car?? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=571269)

jhamer123 Tue, Mar-07-2017 04:11:57 PM

E36 M3 as first car??

This is my first post but I've been browsing the forum nonstop for the past 3-4 days.

I've been in love with the e36 M3 for a while. I've recently been looking into buying a late 90's, specifically 97 and 99, and would love some advice on whether or not I should. I'm 16 with a steady job even through the school year, making 250-300 easy in a weekend. Also during the summer, I will make 6-7,000 comfortably. I've found a '97 M3 with 125,000 miles. It recently got a new clutch, flywheel, BC coil overs, new spark plugs, valve cover, new brakes rotors all around, new lower control arms, new in tire rod, new subframe bushing and more. The ask is $7,500. Based on what I know that seems reasonable. There is no other car I'd like to drive more than an M3.

Many people have told me that buying an M3 is just setting me up for spending thousands on repairs and possibly ruining me financially. I am a very responsible driver and wouldn't be an idiot on the road. I may occasionally track it with my father. Mostly to deal with the want to race on the roads.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

-James

RightYouAreKen Tue, Mar-07-2017 04:30:46 PM

Re: E36 M3 as first car??

My personal opinion is you might be better off getting an E36 non-M for a third the price. The Ms, while not terribly fast by today's standards, have a lot of torque down low for a new driver. A non-M will let you expore the limits a bit more easily/safely I think.

Also, it's a car you're going to be learning to work on, and there's less to loose if you mess something up with the non-M. The way the value on M cars is going, it would be a shame for you to "learn the hard way" on something that might be worth a lot. Also, consider insurance for the car. I'm not sure whether the value in the eyes of insurers are keeping up with the market.

That said, if your heart is set on the M, that sounds like a decent deal. The cars are pretty easy to work on.

W/// Tue, Mar-07-2017 04:43:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhamer123 (Post 1067606156)
This is my first post but I've been browsing the forum nonstop for the past 3-4 days.

I've been in love with the e36 M3 for a while. I've recently been looking into buying a late 90's, specifically 97 and 99, and would love some advice on whether or not I should. I'm 16 with a steady job even through the school year, making 250-300 easy in a weekend. Also during the summer, I will make 6-7,000 comfortably. I've found a '97 M3 with 125,000 miles. It recently got a new clutch, flywheel, BC coil overs, new spark plugs, valve cover, new brakes rotors all around, new lower control arms, new in tire rod, new subframe bushing and more. The ask is $7,500. Based on what I know that seems reasonable. There is no other car I'd like to drive more than an M3.

Many people have told me that buying an M3 is just setting me up for spending thousands on repairs and possibly ruining me financially. I am a very responsible driver and wouldn't be an idiot on the road. I may occasionally track it with my father. Mostly to deal with the want to race on the roads.

-James

Sounds like a pretty reasonable deal.

I'm tempted to say this probably shouldn't be your first car unless you have another mod of transportation. I bought my TV Coupe for a higher price than that, and still had to sink in a couple of thousand in to it to where it is today. And even then, it's still not done (no such thing as an empty to do list).

There's no reason for me trying to convince one way or another if this is truly what you want since we're all car guys anyway. But I think you might enjoy using that money to travel or just do other things than drop on an ageing German car.

For what it's worth, I didn't have my first car until I was 21. I grew up in Europe (plenty of public transportation) and then went to college in a small town where I can walk anywhere. Like I said, just be sure you're OK with spending a big chunk of change on these cars constantly. I know some of these break downs would have been a complete disaster for me financially when I was young.

propchef Tue, Mar-07-2017 04:46:56 PM

https://media.tenor.co/images/1e2644...d683f19de6/raw

egebhardt Tue, Mar-07-2017 05:04:22 PM

Quote:

I am a very responsible driver and wouldn't be an idiot on the road. I may occasionally track it with my father. Mostly to deal with the want to race on the roads.

Ha! I was 16 once. I was either spinning the tires or dragging the rears at every chance.

If you buy one just plan on driving the thing into the ground. No one will pay a teenager much for a used German M-car with the silly mods it will inevitably acquire. At your age, don't worry about the money. There's plenty of time to make more.

pbonsalb Tue, Mar-07-2017 05:54:01 PM

Seems like a fair deal. Do you know how to work on a 20 year old german car or do you have friends or family who do? Or would you be better off spending the same or more on a 10 year old asian car?

Nate047 Tue, Mar-07-2017 06:36:53 PM

Part of me says look for a non-M model, you'll save a lot on initial purchase price and also insurance, and if you like the car, you can upgrade to an M3 or another M car later on.

But the other part says just do it, you're young, **** what everyone else says. Get the car you want.

fiveightandten Tue, Mar-07-2017 07:07:50 PM

Who's paying for the car? Post some pictures of it.

mauromj Tue, Mar-07-2017 07:29:23 PM

While I do agree with what others are saying about starting out with a non-M 3 series, I still think you should get the M assuming you can afford it. Think of it as an opportunity to get into one of these cars while they are still cheap. Hopefully you can respect the car and hang on to it for the rest of your life like I plan on doing with mine.

I just wish I had an M3 when I was 16 :) I'm 23 now and just now have the financial capability to pick up the cars I want.

StJamesM Tue, Mar-07-2017 07:39:32 PM

Quote:

-James

couple questions:

1. what other cars have you driven (routinely?)

2. what makes you want an M3? Do you know what it takes to keep one on the road?

You might be under-estimating the e36M for what it is... its not super fast, but it has enough power to abuse, and is pretty lite/small..

That said, if i were you i'd get an Acura RSX for now... or an R53 JCW Mini Cooper, but those are still kinda pricey..

get something you can throw around a track and learn quick, from.. an M3 isnt quite as forgiving (or cheap)

any M-car in your price range will likely cost you more than you can afford, over time, but an RSX or JCW will be reliable, quick and fun for the occasional track-day.. if you aspire to track an M3, it means you'll likely need access to parts, which...wont be as cheap...

theres no rush