BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Interior trunk light - any fixes? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=312486)

The Oregonian Sun, Mar-21-2010 01:08:11 AM

Interior trunk light - any fixes?

My interior trunk lights - the ones that are on the rear interior on each side, facing towards the front of the car, and which illuminate when the trunk is open - don't have good contact and won't stay on.

When I press them in they light, and they may stay that way for a few minutes. But they work their way free and don't stay 'connected' firmly enough to stay lit.

I have tried black duct tape, but it doesn'w work well...the really need to be pushed down (the duct tape doesn't hold firm enough). I'm sure I can come up with a way thru trial and error, but wanted to see if anyone has come across this and if there is a known solution.

Has anyone come across this and found a solution?

jdl8r Sun, Mar-21-2010 01:11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oregonian (Post 4626565)
My interior trunk lights - the ones that are on rear interior on each side, facing towards the front of the car, and which illuminate when the trunk is open - don't have good contact and won't stay on.

When I press them in they light, and they may stay that way for a few minutes. But they work their way free and don't stay 'connected' and therefore don't stay lit.

I have tried black duct tape, but it doesn'w work well...the really need to be pushed down (the duct tape doesn't hold firm enough). I'm sure I can come up with a way thru trial and error, but wanted to see if anyone has come across this and if there is a known solution.

Has anyone come across this and found a solution?

I had the same problem with mine... The two metal tabs weren't sitting properly against the circuit board to provide consistent power (the top one specifically). I had to basically press and pull upwards to un-lock the U-hook such that I could bend the connector up and out - and then reset it into the u-catch (no clue what they're really called). Anyhow, after doing that the lights seems to stay on when I open the trunk.

Muscle Sun, Mar-21-2010 03:36:53 AM

Happened to mine as well. 1st time the right side, car was still under warranty, dealer replaced a new piece. 2nd time left side, I purchased a new one from Tischer, it was fairly cheap...

The Oregonian Sun, Mar-21-2010 04:03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle (Post 4626819)
Happened to mine as well. 1st time the right side, car was still under warranty, dealer replaced a new piece. 2nd time left side, I purchased a new one from Tischer, it was fairly cheap...

Do you happen to know part number? I looked online but couldn't locate it.

Thx

viper7180 Sun, Mar-21-2010 04:27:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdl8r (Post 4626569)
I had the same problem with mine... The two metal tabs weren't sitting properly against the circuit board to provide consistent power (the top one specifically). I had to basically press and pull upwards to un-lock the U-hook such that I could bend the connector up and out - and then reset it into the u-catch (no clue what they're really called). Anyhow, after doing that the lights seems to stay on when I open the trunk.

Seems similar what I remember...having to bend the metal part which makes the connection. It's been a while since I did it, and now my led bulbs are bad so there's no light at all.

That's also a great sig picture. Do you have a link to a full size one?

AmirsM3 Sun, Mar-21-2010 08:25:35 AM

Wow mine just started doing this last week. I'm never in my trunk anyway so it doesn't bug me, but if it's a quick fix I'm down for this DIY.

opey Sun, Mar-21-2010 04:10:54 PM

mine do this too. i bent the metal tabs and it helped for a little while, but started doing it again. its just annoying

E46M3Rod Tue, Mar-30-2010 11:26:18 PM

Wow. I actually came to search on how to turn the suckers off...not how to keep them on. Ha ha. :lolhit:

Every time I charge the battery I have to unclip and pull the housing out and disconnect the plug in. I guess it's not too much of a hassle but is there an easier way? Pulling the fuse? Not sure which one.

Do people connect the charger to the + - contacts under the hood vs that of the batter directly?

Do the interior trunk lights shut off automatically even with the trunk still open?

BletzM3 Sun, Apr-25-2010 03:40:02 AM

anyone know where to get replacements other than the dealer?

JokerElite Sun, Apr-02-2017 08:04:53 PM

Re: Interior trunk light - any fixes?

To chime in for future reference, these do not need to be replaced in most cases. Bending the metal clips outward ensures a solid contact to the circuit board.

The lights should turn off when the trunk is closed.